SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2003, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1345, 351W Stroker
Not Ranked     
Question Fuel Pressure Fluctuation

Have an interesting observation.

Just installed a fuel pressure gage on my Holley 4160 fuel log. Car is equipped with a 392 stroker with a Carter mechanical fuel pump and a fuel filter back by the tank.

When I first start the car gage shows 6.5 psi fuel pressure. Every thing looks normal. Close the hood and go for a little spin. Return home pop the hood and read 2 psi. Let the car sit for an hour or so start the engine now I have 3 psi. Also note that when I shut the engine off fuel pressure bleeds to 0 in 3 or 4 seconds.

Engine seems to run OK on street and track. Didn't suspect any problem till I installed the gage. Still don't know if I have any problem. But what I expected was constant fuel pressure some where around 5 to 8 psi. I expected that the valves in the fuel pump would prevent pressure bleed down. Or at least it would take several minutes to bleed off.

Things I think it might be.

Bad fuel pump valves.

Plugged fuel filter causing excessive suction on tank line which in turn causes some sort of vapor lock????

Its just normal and don't have any thing to worry about??

Thanks in advance for the help.
Jerry
Old 05-28-2003, 07:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Jerry, that's definitely not normal fuel pressure readings. I think you've listed the likely cause(s); a few other possibilities are a partial obstruction in the tank pickup, a kink or other obstruction in the supply line and a plugged tank vent. It sounds like you're pulling a vacuum somewhere in the system on the tank side of the pump. I'd start with the easy stuff first, replace the fuel filter, and maybe blow the line out from the fuel pump while you have the filter off. Also, see if you can get a good fuel flow out of the tank while the filter is off (be careful with the fuel, of course).
Old 05-28-2003, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Fuel Pressure Gauge

Just curious.....is your pressure gauge liquid filled? I have observed the same situation in my car and consulted with Aeromotive on it since I'm using their fuel system. They tell me that many liquid filled gauges will read lower pressure as they heat up when, in fact, the pressure is really at the original (cold) level. I'm going to replace my liquid filled gage with a good AutoMeter mechanical gage. Aeromotive is confident that will solve my problem.

Now, if your gauge is not liquid-filled, disregard this suggestion and proceed with a design of experiments to determine the root cause of the problem. Engineering 101.....

Good luck!

Chuck
Old 05-29-2003, 02:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon, windsor 408 stroker, tremec. Also GSX008
Not Ranked     

I have the same fuel pump. I think that at least one of the symptoms you describe is actually not a fault.

That is the speed with which the fuel pressure decays when you switch off. Mine too runs down to zero in 1 or 2 seconds. I do not believe there is any non-return valving in the Carter pump, thus fuel flows backwards easily through the gerotor gears when the pump stops.

Apart from that, I get 5 psi at all times. First thing I would check in your shoes would be the gauge.
After that - look for a vacuum in the tank.

HTH

Last edited by wilf leek; 05-29-2003 at 02:04 AM..
Old 05-29-2003, 03:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

jmille

Try removing the gas cap, while the engine is running, to see if that affects the pressure guage. If you are getting a vacuum in the tank from a plugged (or non existing) vent, removing the gas cap will prove it. If there is no change, follow the other suggestions given.

Paul
Old 05-29-2003, 04:25 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: - Unique - 302 - 4 spd. -
Not Ranked     

Jerry,

I had the identical problem..... and as Chuck (cwmcobra) said, it turned out to be the gauge. Tried two liquid gauges and both did the samething, even going to zero when it got real hot under the hood!! Now using a "regular" one and pressure steady 6 pounds from OE pump at all underhood temps. Also bleeds down in a few seconds after engine shut off too, so don't think you have a problem..... other than that gauge!

- Jim -
Old 05-29-2003, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

Chuck and Jerry are correct, BG tech told me the same thing about liquid filled gauges. They also will fluctuate due to the temp of the liquid. You will get different readings when the engine is hot/cold due to the liquid.

However, the best place to start is the pump. Get a vacuum/fuel pressure test gauge and hook it directly to the fuel pump and see if you are putting out the pressure the pump is rated for, usually around 12 psi or so. Then check it at the pressure regulator to make sure that is adjusted properly. Then check it at the carb.

You can get a vacuum/fuel pressure test gauge at any auto parts store and it is not expensive. It is great for tuning the car.

Roscoe
Old 05-29-2003, 07:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Shouldn't have a pressure regulator on a mechanical pump...But a good idea to put a Tee in the line and compare the test gage with the installed pressure gage. I hadn't heard the problem with the temps and the liquid-filled gages, but it makes sense. Wonder why they sell them for this use? If you really did have low pressure, the car would run poorly at/near WOT through the gears as the fuel level in the bowls dropped.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

OOPS, missed that part on the mechanical pump. You should still check the pressure at the pump and at the carb (after the filter).

Ken: Liquid filled is ok if you keep them away from the engine and not mount them on the log.

Roscoe
Old 05-29-2003, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the advise.

Should be pretty easy to trouble shoot this weekend. Will be easy to determine if its my liquid filled gage. I had never heard of that one but it makes sense if the gage body is not vented. That will be pretty easy to check out. I will either heat the gage when I first start the engine and see how it reads. Or I will wrap the hot gage in a cold towel and see if the reading changes. Replacing the gage is an easy fix.

Will report the findings.

Jerry
Old 05-29-2003, 08:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Do you have the fuel coming all the way into the cockpit to the gauge, or do you have a fuel pressure isloator( that is normally filled with antifreeze) and sits on the engine side of the firewall?

TURK
If you have an isolator, you may want to make sure there are no air pockets in it..
Old 05-30-2003, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2078. 331 stroker, sportsman block built by Evanuik Performance. 450hp
Send a message via AIM to SSSnake
Not Ranked     

Summit sells a Barry Grant pressue gauge that is not affected by heat. We had the same problem in our car. Once we installed the new gauge, it reads 7 psi all the time.

Glenn
Old 05-31-2003, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Problem Solved

Went out this morning started her up. Perfect 7.5 psi fuel pressure reading. Took my trusty heat gun and began blowing hot air on the gage. Within a minute the gage read 2 psi. Wraped gage in a cold towel and were quickly back to normal. Pulled gage drained glycerin and left the plug out so the gage was vented. Started the engine 7 to 8 psi. No change when we heat the gage. Needle is a little jumpy without the dampening that the glycerin provided, but it reads right at all temps.

Thanks for the tip. I would have looked at a lot of other things before the liquid filled gage.

Jerry Miller