SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 06-28-2004, 12:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

Oh Mikey. ( M&M) you are letting the cat out of the bag, er , the dog (me) in my doghouse garage mahal...if ya gotta be locked outta da house , it is a nice place to have to hide !!!! she does get upset when i tell her my garage is cleaner than the kitchen, and it is then that i get to use the cot...in the garage. the dogs, she keeps them inside, they never get locked out in the garage, which is good as those two german shepherds would shed too much fur onto my floor ! LOL > Bill.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tom,

Can you give me any info on your lift?

Ross
Old 06-29-2004, 01:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Custom built Excalibur 351C
Not Ranked     

Ross,

The lift is a VBM Model 2000.

It's an "asymetric" 2 poster with 7000# capacity.

I have it in location but not hooked up yet....

I'm sick of carpentry and plumbing and electric and tile!!!

We moved in this past weekend Whew!

I'm anxious to get back to playing with cars!
Old 06-29-2004, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sorry Ohekk, I was asking Tom Howland about the inground lift he has.

Ross
Old 11-01-2004, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

I haven't been around for a while.

Nevertheless, Garage Mahal continues. Sheetrock is done, and most of the mudding and taping is done. I've an air compressor that I just bought that's en route, and will be used for texturing the walls and ceiling. I've got a LOT of sanding/smoothing to do between now and then. (And I was thinking about polishing an aluminum body? Man, this is a lot of work!)

Anyhow, howdy to everyone out in Cobra land. I promise to supply some pictures of Garage Mahal, but I want to wait until I have a finished product. I'll post "before" and "after" pictures.

By the way, I did some custom framing to build in a stereo cabinet into the wall. I'll install glass doors over the front. Speakers will either be mounted IN the ceiling or ON the corners of the wall/ceiling. Haven't decided. Suggestions?

Also, this garage has seen it's share of oil-leaky vehicles in it's 25 years. How DO I clean up these stains? Keep in mind that I want to put either an epoxy finish on the floors, or do a black & white checkered flag pattern in tiles on the floor. Any suggestions?

Hey, what happened to Julia Ann? I was looking forward to burning her image onto my retina (by staring too long...).

Dangerous Doug

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 11-01-2004, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There she is.

What's up with ClubCobra? Slow.

Standing in line at a Mexican restaurant in Palo Alto on Saturday, and exchanged pleasantries with a young cutie next to me. She goes to order, and her leaning over reveals a tatoo of a butterfly just over her low-cut beltline, much like that on Julia Ann's butt above. Was I talking to Julia Ann and didn't know it? Damn!

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 11-01-2004, 03:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing BDR144
Not Ranked     

DD,

I remodeled my garage this spring and I painted my floor with an epoxy finish. It also had some oil, paint/woodstain and some kind of shelac stain in/on the concrete, about 12 years worth from previous owner. I used Behr concrete cleaner/degreaser with a hard bristle brush attached to a broom handle and alot of elbow grease! For the very hard shelac and stubborn grease, I used mineral spirits. Take your time and work the stains out before you paint your surface, they will bubble thru or not allow the material applied to adhere if not totally removed.
There are some pics of my garage in my gallery.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Secret Squirrel; 11-01-2004 at 03:31 PM..
Old 12-23-2004, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Garage Mahal is now painted, and I'm working on the trim. Considering epoxy for the floor, but I have some cracks in the concrete. Is it possible to fill and level the cracks and then epoxy finish the floor? It'd be a nice finishing touch.

Dangerous Doug

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 12-23-2004, 06:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

You could do that but eventually the cracks will reappear sooner or later as the house/garage/concrete settles more. Race Deck or such is about the only cure.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Doug, I see you have sheetrock done. Did you pre-run some speaker wires so you could mount some surround, or left/right channel speakers in the walls for flush mount? I did some Radio Shack flush mounts and a Radio Shack Sub-woofer to augment my stereo (IT IS A GARAGE after all ).

Also, did you pre-run some air lines so you have jacks in the popular corners where you might want to plug in for some air? As for the floor, I defer to G.R. but would think filling the cracks and then doing some abrasive leveling and letting it all cure might allow for 2 part epoxy. Then again, I am becoming a Race-Deck convert over time.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Toy Collector

Is there any room. I'm thinking of heading over and moving into the garage there..

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 12-24-2004, 10:20 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Send a message via AIM to Tinker51
Not Ranked     

My friend built a 6000 sq/ft (you read that right) "garage" which I dubbed the Garage Mahal a couple of years ago. Good to see that great minds think alike.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ToyCollector: Once I finish the trim, I'm going to install the glass doors for the built in stereo cabinet, then route the wires for speakers. Haven't decided on flush mount or hanging speakers (Can I bring myself to cut that laboriously hung and textured sheetrock? Dunno...) I've been looking at Bose 301's on Ebay, so I'd hang those.

I didn't do the air lines---yet. My compressor is a small, portable Porter-Gable, so I can move it around relatively easily. However, I tend to do things the hard way, so waiting until I've finished everything else and THEN deciding to route pipes for air would be my SOP.

Once I get the trim up, I'll post some pictures. It's gonna look naked without a Cobra though...

I'm blowing up and framing a picture of a 289FIA getting air on the Nurbergring (sp?) to hang on the wall, along with a white dry erase board for keeping track of my Cobra build (as of yet, undefined)

Race Deck would be nice, but how much should I expect to spend on a 20' X 30' garage?

Yeah, my in-laws are threatening to move into the garage.

Dangerous Doug

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 12-26-2004, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     

Doug:

Splurge and go for the Race Deck. I have the Griot's epoxy in one garage and the Race Deck in the other. The Race Deck is my favorite, hands down. It was a little more expensive (not as much more as you might think when all is said and done), but it's great. This is especially true if you have a freshly poured floor and do not want to wait until it fully cures which can be a very long time.

I'm no expert.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Outside shot:

Old 01-20-2005, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ohekk: That picture is worthy of it's own "Garage Mahal" thread. You want to fill us in on the details? This was a Oldsmobile dealership at one time, if I recall correctly. Do tell more!

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 01-20-2005, 09:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It was an old Studebaker dealership.

There's a link to the newspaper story a few posts back that has a "before" picture.

Good news is that we moved in last July, spent the last 6 months finishing up some of the details.

The showroom has a beautiful terrazzo floor and is where I store my cars.

The old parts room was going to be my shop "office" however we were able to salvage a 100 year old bar from a tavern across the street. So now "Office" is a "Bar Room".

I've got this winter to get the shop organized and set up.

The 1500 sq ft body shop is framed in to be either an office or apartment. (next winter project!)

HGTV "Building Character" approached us to do a program on the conversion project. Scheduled for a spring "shoot" to be aired in fall.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

Ohekk--I think that the house idea is awesome! At one time there was a mid-sized old firestation here for sale. When I tried to get my wife interested, she gave me one of THOSE looks.... . How did you get the better half to sign on?!?
And please give us a heads up when the program is going to air...
Old 01-20-2005, 11:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default She understands my sickness!

My wife of 36 years understands that I have a passion for old cars. She supports me as long as I don't get "obsessed". which is easy to do.

We had lived in the country for most of our marriage, and now she wants the convenience of urban living. It's great! there are weeks where she doesn't even drive her car. Everything is within walking distance!

Me...I just needed a place to work on my cars and no residential area would allow me to put up a big building.

We looked at LOTS of properties: An old fire house, foundry, cannery, wharehouse. This one just seemed perfect. Only had some demo to do and build the "House".

She has vision! She did all the design of the house. Did the general contracting, worked with all the sub contractors etc.

She's happy - I'm Happy!

How to convince your wife?

Does she like jewelry?
Old 01-21-2005, 04:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Ohekk,
I've been teased enough! Show us some more pictures,. a lot of pictures!. I just looked at your gallery and was quite taken by your 'Excalibur'.
I assume the picture was taken in your new work area? Amazing.

Now the story behind your Cobra? Is there a 'thread' already on it? Are you doing the work? So many questions. Take an hour or two, write up a half dozen pages on your remodel and rebuild and fill us in please. The nosey ones amongst us have to know!

DV...Have you found the necessary parts?