SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-19-2004, 10:15 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham/Southern 427 SO finally on the road
Not Ranked     
Default overheating 427 sideoiler....a reprise

’m sorry that I haven’t posted the list regarding the overheating problem I was having on my Kirkham with Southern’s sideoiler, but I made an agreement with Bill Parham that I wouldn’t post anything about this until it was resolved. I want to thank everyone who contributed to helping me, and all of the efforts everyone has put forth. After lots of experimentation and phone calls between Bill Parham and me, it appears that the problem is one of air flow. Bill was great to work with and keenly interested in the problem. At one point he even offered to take my car, at his expense, to Georgia to sort things out. WOW what great service...just like the Kirkhams! On the interstate, with an ambient temp of about 97°, the car is at about 88-90C, but in town, with the decrease in air flow, it runs about 95-102°C, requiring not only the puller fan, but the 2 pusher aux fans as well. I’d really like to know what temperatures others are seeing with big block fords in the hot summers. Anybody use a smaller WP pulley? thanx again to everyone. steve meltzer

"Never enough time to do it right, always enough time to
do it over"
Old 08-19-2004, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

Hi Steve:
I have a 428 Police Interceptor, built in 1992 by Danbury Competition Engines. I have an ERA with their standard for 1992 brass radiator cooled by one puller fan (thermostatically controlled switch) and augmented with two pusher fans (manually activated only).

In hot weather I run in the 170 to 180 F range with the puller causing the fluctuation as needed. In fourth gear with the engine revs low, at speed say 60 - 70 MPH the car will stay in the 165 to 170 range.

When I come down from a high speed run to a stop or at slow speeds ~ < 30 MPH, then the temp will climb to 185 or 190. I then will throw on the pusher fans (these, I have put on a separate circuit, Lucas Toggle switch activated) and they will reduce the temp rather quickly in conjuction with the puller fan.

My oil temp gauge is always about 10 to 15 degrees lower than the water temp I have noticed. Pretty much hoovering in the 150 to 180 range.

What does your oil temp gauge read?

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 08-19-2004, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here are my specs.
Aluminum radiator, 30/70 anti-freeze/water mix and 2-16 oz. bottles of Water Wetter.
Twin pusher fans in front - manually switched.
Spal drafting fan in rear - thermostatically and manually controlled.
Edelbrock aluminum water pump.
177F thermostat.
March pulley system.
427 side-oiler, iron block.
Shelby aluminum heads.
12.0 compression.
Roller rockers.
Comp Cam roller cam .637 int. and .667 exh., 252 and 262 degrees duration @ .050".
Heat-wrapped primary headers.
3.70 9" Ford IRS.

At 90+ degrees fahrenheit ambient temps, 75 mph on the interstate, none of the fans running, the Smith gauge shows 85-90 degrees centigrade.

At 90+ degrees fahrenheit ambient temps, in-town traffic, ALL FANS ON, the Smith gauge shows 88-90 degrees centigrade.

Last edited by David Brown; 08-19-2004 at 12:25 PM..
Old 08-19-2004, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427 Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

Steve,
I have a Kirkham and a Southern 427and was the test car for the fan set up, although slightly different since I only have a single front fan. The original rear fan was replaced with a new one with a shroud and it works great!

With the original single rear fan, my car overheated to the point of blowing off radiator hoses or squirting coolant all over the place. Bill picked up the car and changed the fan set up and now the car runs at below 80C on the highway with only the front fan and remains in the 85 -95 range when in traffic with both fans on - what a relief!!

I can't say enough about the service, commitment and concern of Bill Parham, David Kirkham and Bruce Bunn (JODECO autobody) to correct issues that developed with my car.

Ted