SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2004, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

looks good Dave. chuck
Old 12-31-2004, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

CC,

I am currently doing the reverse of what you're doing. I have been running a remote booster for years, but never got enough pressure to lock up the rear brakes. After talking to Ron Butler and Kurt Hamilton, I decided to go to a manual setup with two master cylinders. I'll use a 3/4 inch to push the front Dodge calipers and a 5/8 inch to shove the Jag rears. With a balance bar, I am hoping to get much better pressure to all the brakes for shorter stops. I will have a Power Master remote brake booster and a 1" Wilwood master cylinder left over if you need them.

I am wondering what your current set up is and why you're changing it?

Paul
Old 12-31-2004, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Paul,

I had the dual master cylinder setup, with Ford Explorer 11 inch disk, Tilton 1 inch front master and 5/8 inch rear. But I found it had 2 problems. The biggest being the pedal pressure required. It alway took me a period of time to get used to standing on the brakes to get the car slowed down, and about the time I got used to that I was usually pulling back into the garage. I also wanted a lower pedal pressure because my wife likes to drive the car. The second problem was the brake bias, it would change quite unpredictably and you really had to stay on top of it (flat spotting a $250 tire is an expensive way to learn the bias is wrong). A 50/50 setup is, to me, preferable because it will stay 50/50. But it comes down to personal preference and how you use the car. Good luck.

Last edited by CowtownCobra; 12-31-2004 at 07:04 PM..
Old 02-06-2005, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Are those photos showing the master cylinders mounted on a fiberglass firewall?
scratch
Old 02-06-2005, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Scratch, there's a steel plate behind the fiberglass.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, Keith Craft 496 Genesis, 649 hp, 668 ft-lb, TKO-600, Dynatek Stack EFI
Not Ranked     

Guys,

This is one of several threads I've read re: the LS brake setup. It doesn't appear that I am having a brake problem yet, but only driven her 200 mi. I did make some slight changes though during intallation. LS shipped a 3/4", 7/8", 1" master.
I also recieved a wilwood 3/4" with my TOB assy.
That being done, I assumed the 3/4" was to be used for the clutch, as I did. USed 7/8 on rear, and 1" on front. Changed the rotors on the explorer setup to drilled and slotted. Didn't like the look/quality of the shop made pedal assy LS shipped and purchased and intalled the Wilwood pedal setup from Summit, which has a balance bar.
Also ran the Wilwood 12.5" brake set-up on the front, since the BAER assembly I bought from LS didn't fit and after waiting 5 months, I was ready to roll and went with the WW's.

The brakes feel good under most conditions. Moderate pressure will certinally stop the car in a hurry, but haven't tried to do any hard perfomance type braking yet. Spending most of my miles trying to figure out how to reign that KC monster under the hood.

Are your stock setups similar to mine, to where I will have problems in the corners on mine, or are your brakes just not there at all.

Brad W.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I added a power booster on and attached it near my grill. You can't see it from the front unless you look inside and up. There was no other place I could figure to put it. Also, if some of you hot rod guys know the name of Frank Loddo, he's a technical writer for various car magazines. When I added the power booster, I read one of his articles and actually called him and spoke to him about it. He used a master cylinder out of a fork lift. The size and efficiency from these master cylinders made braking very efficient. He used it on his car, but I hesitated on doing it. Just some thought.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:06 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Paul, What do you want for the power booster??

I looked at Dave's setup and was thrilled...until I noticed I have a slightly different setup. I have a steel plate on the outside the would interfer with the booster unit.

I would like to go to 50/50 as Dave did. I also have to stand on the brakes to stop quickly.

Please let me know if it is still available.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Cobra Kit -428 Fe Built by Clayton Racing Engines
Not Ranked     

My thanks to JAYBAR , I was roaming though the threads why I came onto this one on the brakes, or the lack of them. I to have the balance bar system and I,m having the same problems as COWTOWN COBRA and I feel the same . Lets face it , it is an out dated system . I have a Shell Valley Kit and I called them for help , I was told there are looking to replace the system because it doesnt work well and they calls for help often.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

Trularin,

Thanks for asking about the brake booster. I'm not too happy with my new setup and may need to reinstall it. I think I will start a new tread to see if I can get some more ideas.

Paul