SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2004, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

I have had the carbrueters completely gone through by Quick Fuel Technology in Kentucky. The engine runs great at idle, and in the alley, and after being warmed up it run great initially . but after a short drive things start changing . I'm leaning towards the ignition falling off not liking getting power through a resister.
Anyone ready for a test drive.or stay by the phone I may be calling for a tow back home.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I bypassed the balast resister as directed by Mallory teck support .The system is getting full voltage.I took the car warmed it up and stayed around the neighborhood for awhile waiting for the car to start cutting out.Things seemed good after, a while I headed for Interstate 5.I got all the way to Bridgeport exit .I stopped at the machine shop for awhile leaving it idle.I have a short show and tell and leave .I don't get a block away and here starts the off idle missing. I limp the car home and into the garage.I quickly bypassed the new Mallory HyFire VI 685 cd ignition box useing the supplied bypass plug ,rearanged the wires so the power was coming through the balast resister.It is now running on mallory 38 series Unilite distributor and Mallory 29440 ProMaster coil . I didn't clean the plugs either.It ran great ,so around and around I drove some more. The testing has burnt almost a tank of gasoline , gauge reads empty.I bought 14 gal of 92 oct. around and around I drove, no miss . I'm blaming the Mallory HyFire VI 685 cd ignition box. during the testing would have thought I had a hole in the gas tank the way the fuel quantity gauge was falling.
Probably have to send in the box a have it repaired or replaced.It was a lot of frustration but I saved some money by doing all myself.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT40 #45
Not Ranked     

Super Duper news Mike!

Congratulations again!!!
RCR40 #45 http://www.GT-Forty.com
Old 12-24-2004, 12:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I confirmed it today by driving the car around with box removed using bypass plug ,Unilite distributor receiving 12V and coil receiving resisted power. Didn't fart or anything . It's the box.Traffic was building by two O-clock freways were plugged. 40° ,no sun, ttraffic not much fun .
Old 12-24-2004, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great news Mike - Persistance pays off!
Old 12-24-2004, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If it's new I should suspect it ,I guess .I thought sooty plugs ment too much gasoline . Now I waiting for nicer weather and or my new cd ignition box , I'm always waiting for something it seems. Of course the Company line is the boxes don't work like that they either work or they don't work st all. I had to check the combination without the ignition box one more time .I can just see it now "we have tested your ignition box extensivly and we can find no problems at this time". So I get my old box back and the dust hasn't even been moved from the screws or the such. Once I'm satisfied that the engine is done and I have the hood back on I start the proscess of getting the interior redone and see if the new convertable top I bought from EM two years ago can be made to work on my car . .A year ago EM said they would take my new side curtains back and make me another set from a template I supplied. I want this car done for this comming summer.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Cobray C3 kit made by Cobras N Vettes (i.e. Mr. Classic) with a small block stroker
Not Ranked     

Why is it that when i ajust the float level in my holley double pumper, with in hte next day or so, the levels are no longer ajusted to where i left them. I am constantly having to re-ajust them? i could definatly us some old school knowledge. thanks a ton, Newbee
Old 12-25-2004, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Usually the problem in consistent float level settings is the lack of consistency in fuel pressure.
There are other things that can play into it as well - such as a sinking float or dirt in the needle and seat area that is causing the valve to hang open.