SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2089
Not Ranked     
Default NAF rear suspension

I have a NAF 427sc, I need to replace the bushings in the rear end. Its a solid axle, any body know what year mustang bushings
I need.

Thanks Tim
Old 02-23-2005, 08:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2089
Not Ranked     

Come on you guys I am not a freaking mechanic.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

Tim the rearend in your NAF was most likely from a late 80's Ford ie Granada/Monarch or such, even if it was a Mustang they all use the same type of bushings for the control links. I used '87 Granada as a base on my NAF. I got them from Westbay Auto. Think it was about $35 for all of them(10) just a rubber bushing nothing special.

Do you have a 8 or 9 in rear axle? Not that it would make a difference for the bushings.

Check your diff for a Ford part number, it should be stamped on the housing. The number will at least tell you what Ford model/models it came from if not the exact year by cross-referencing the code. I learned this little fact "after" the fact
Old 02-23-2005, 09:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

I know of an NAF that has an 8.8, out of what I am not sure. It was built around 1991. Maybe a late 80's Mustang?

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF
Not Ranked     

Edley,
Anything you need for your cobra you can always try us at NAF (520) 689-0100. Tell em JC sent ya.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Not Ranked     

JC-- nice to see that NAF realizes that there are a lot of us owners of the older cars still out here.
I've tried the e-mail routne from your site, did get a response, then no follow-up.

Hope you guys stay around and post more often re: NAF questions and troubles.

So just call that number and say JC sent me?
Old 05-10-2005, 12:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by G.R.

JC-- nice to see that NAF realizes that there are a lot of us owners of the older cars still out here.
I've tried the e-mail routne from your site, did get a response, then no follow-up.

Hope you guys stay around and post more often re: NAF questions and troubles.

So just call that number and say JC sent me?
Old 05-10-2005, 12:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thre comes a time when a kit car manufacturer becomes component car manufacturer. I just saw an NAF cobra get passed as an original. That car sold a for more than what was paid for it originally. It also had 13000 miles on it.Jack Kube of NAF is the real deal. I will personally put up one of our cars against the kit containing 1000 poprivets. 10 yrs is a long time, however in those ten yrs was some serious developement.
Spread the word, NAF is back.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

I visited NAF back in the day and liked what I saw, unfortunately I wasn't in a position to buy, just dream. What I saw was a nice small, scale operation run by someone who obviously had a passion for it. But I'll give you some advice, I see no upside to a 'new' company that disappeared for 10 years to come along and rip on a company that has spent those same years selling 5,000+ kits. Let your customers make the comparisons instead of dismissing the 'competition' outright.
Hope to catch you and one of your cars at one of the AZ Cobra meets, I look forward to seeing them.

PS, I'm pretty sure I put more than 1,000 rivets in my FFR, at least it seemed like more.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 1970 SC 428CJ
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up NAD SC Cobra

I'm the 2nd owner of mine 428CJ all roller 4 speed top loader 9" ford disc all around.
JackSCCobra@groups.msn.com

Old 09-05-2006, 10:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Most of the NAF cars used a 4 Bar link set up with 2 urethane bushings at each pivot point with a metal tube for the through bolt. The bushings I have seen used are either black or orange. They are relatively firm, much more so than normal OEM rubber suspension bushings from domestic production cars. Does this sound like what you have?

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 09-05-2006 at 10:33 PM..
Old 09-06-2006, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shellvalley 428 ford
Not Ranked     

Ok NAF'rs, help
I have a 1985 NAF. The body is a cross between a 427 S/C and a FIA car. Also, the rear suspension is unique. It has 2 lower bars going forward and a long panhard bar. The upper bar , not bars, is a center bar going from the top of the rear axle housing toward the rear of the car to the frame. It is about a foot long. Jkube2, can you give me any information on this rear
suspension? thanks a lot,
Byron
Old 09-08-2006, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Guys,
No NAF owner has any idea about this rear suspension or body style?
Please help, I would like some info if possible. JKUBE 2 , how about a response please.

Thanks all,
Byron
Old 09-08-2006, 09:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

byron w: I'm not sure what you mean by saying the NAF you have is a cross between 427sc & FIA. Can you elaborate? The FIA that NAF brought to market was sometime in 1986 I believe. The basic body construction was very similar as far as the footboxes, fender liners, firewalls etc. The major difference being the styling cues that separatedthe two, such as cut back doors of the FIA, side pipe cutouts, fender dimensions, fuel cap location and roll bar variations between the two variants. The chassis for the most part was the same. Minor tweaking of chassis design and dimensions was left to the imagination of the fabricator and his talents. The basic variant used 74-78 Mustang II donor parts for the steering and front suspension. The rear end could have been an 8" or 9" Ford or with some extreme fabrication changes, Jag stuff.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 09-12-2006, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick,
I will try and post some pics. Anyway, the rear flairs are a lot like a JBL. The fornt are like an FIA car. It has an FIA roll bar. The front apron where it comes down in front of the tire goes all of the way across even with the bottom of the oilcooler opening. Looks alot like a small spoiler. It also has no gas cap in the rear quarter. I have been around Fords and Cobras all of my life and have not seen one like this.
Thanks again,
Byron
Old 02-27-2010, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 1965 427 bodied w/Clevland 351 bored 60 over toploader 4 speed White and grey stripes
Not Ranked     
Default Rearend in NAF COBRA

Hello My 1986 Naf Cobra uses a rear end form a Lincoln Verssiles with factory disc brakes, All bushings are just Ford parts, If you remove some bushings it will help your parts guy a lot.
Good Luck Larry Spillman
Old 03-11-2010, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Can anybody help me with the naf cobra, please see pics in my gallery,what naf is it?why the difference in the rear fender? Does anybody have one like it? IS THERE 2 DIFFERENT BODIES?
Thanks ROD
Old 03-11-2010, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3787, STOCK DONOR AT PRESENT.
Not Ranked     

If i may, let me throw this into the rear suspension pot. I have some old magazine article where the rearaxle is sprung with leaf springs!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODGARCIA View Post
Can anybody help me with the naf cobra, please see pics in my gallery,what naf is it?why the difference in the rear fender? Does anybody have one like it? IS THERE 2 DIFFERENT BODIES?
Thanks ROD
Your NAF is not like any I've seen. 289 nose without oil cooler intake and extremely flared fenders. NAF orginally made just 2 models the 289 USSRC/FIA and the 427. I know Jack sold the company at one point and the new owners pretty much ran it into the ground and it may be one of their production run. Jack later bought the company back. Or it might have been a one-off built for a previous owner.

What's the production number of the build plate?
Old 03-12-2010, 10:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Correction:
GR, The first NAF cars were the regular 289 Slabside and a Narrow Hipped 427 (non SC fender lips). Later around 86 The FIA body was brought to market. One of there FIA cars (in Blue) was on the cover of one of the major auto magazines maybe Motor Trend or Kit Car in 1986. Their sales pamphlets showed a light colored (white?) 289 without oil cooler opening and Dayton wire wheels, and locking steering column.

Last edited by Rick Parker; 03-12-2010 at 10:37 PM..