SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2005, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 148 with 427 SO
Not Ranked     
Default gasket between headers and side pipes

I have a SPF and need to get this gasket. Is there a stock number or is this something I need to get from them directly? I did use the old torn up one to do a "make your own gasket" out of exhaust gasket material but that has not been totally successful, but I am driving the car

But now it is time to hunt down the exhaust leaks and put the thing back correctly. Have you guys ever made any custom copper gaskets for this before? If so, how did it work out and how what did you use? Any ideas are welcome.

thanks
Buzz
Old 06-26-2005, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

The copper will work but, I just use the red high temp silcone & it works great with no leaks. Give it a try.
Kev
Old 06-26-2005, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I did coat the gasketI made with the high temp silicone and it still leaked. Are you just using the silicone without anytype of gasket? When I was talking about copper, I mean a sheet of metal, not the copper colored silicone material. If I did cut a metal/copper gasket, would I need to somehow "roll" the edges like you see on production gaskets?

Thanks for the info
Buzz
Old 06-26-2005, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Yes, I just use silicone, the "Permatex RTV high temp silicone" (red). I assume that your headers & collector are the four into one ? I follow the outside edge & around each tube to totally seal the sidepipe flange/collector. I do the same thing with the sprint car engine including mounting the headers to the head, all without gaskets. Apply and let it "skin over" then bolt the two surfaces together. I wait apx. 24 hrs to start the engine. I never get a leak. I believe you can get a cork sheet at NAPA stores, cut to size & use the silicone.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Don Scott, owner of CR II, recommened the use of Permatex ULTRA COPPER High Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker, which I purchased at NAPA.

I did not use any gasket, no leaks.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:21 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Buzz, I use the ultra Copper and it really works well.

But, I also use the Mr. Gasket material ( white board ) with it.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

that is what I did, Mr Gasket white board and then the ultra copper.....I guess I may try that again and see if that will work better for me the second time. Any tricks to it? Do you guys let the TRV set up any or just go right on with it?
Old 06-27-2005, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 239
Not Ranked     

Hey Buzz,
I too have been thinking about building a set of solid copper flange gaskets. I guess I should stop messing around, build'em and see how they work!

Jason
Old 06-27-2005, 12:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra SC, 514CID
Not Ranked     

Are you guys all speaking of the same gaskets?

I use high temp RTV between the header and cylinder head. This is common and works best in my opinion, but not between the header and side pipe

The header to side pipe joint can see temps above 1000 degrees F… There is no silicone that I’m aware of that can take those temps.

The proper gasket for between the header and side pipe is a composite, steel/asbestos (or what ever material is replacing asbestos these days) and is available from your SPF dealer. If you do not know your dealer, call 1-800-29SNAKE. This number will connect you.

Craig
Old 06-27-2005, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     

I used the Ultra Copper between the header and the side pipes with no leaks. Of course both headers and side pipes were ceramic coated with Jet hot. I noticed the mating surfaces were extremely smooth,maybe this helped in the sealing.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 427SC, 351W bored .30, Edelbrock Performer RPM Package, Tremec trans, Currie 9" rear end.
Not Ranked     
Default Copper gaskets

Is anybody interested in Copper gaskets? I was having the same problems and went through several paper/wire mesh gaskets and tried the silicon approach as well. After loosing a side pipe on the freeway (don't use grade 8 bolts, they get brittle when hot) I decided to make my own copper gaskets. They are cut out on a computerized router and look too good to install. They are working great. I have a couple sets for the classic Roadster and could probably make any other pattern if there is an interest. I will be bringing them to SAAC 30.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DVCobra, I would be interested in purchasing a set of the Copper gaskets, just to have in case...

How would we order and the cost including the S & H ?

I have contacted Permatex with the following question, will post the reply:

Can the Permatex product 101 BR Ultra Copper Sensor Safe High Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker be used between the header extension and the exhaust pipe/collector without any other type of gasket material ? The specific application is for the side pipes on a Cobra.

If not, is there a Permatex product for this application, w/o the use of a gasket material ?

.............thanks

Don
Old 06-27-2005, 07:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Lone Star Classics LS427, 428 CJ engine stroked to 464, 580hp/590tq at flywheel
Not Ranked     

Make sure you let the silicone dry completely. One time I was a little anxious ans cranked her up. It immedietly burned out the silicone. Hve also done as sugessted ever since (let dry 24 hours) and have had no problems. It is hard to wait though when your car is ready to goooo!
Old 06-27-2005, 10:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: StreetBeast 66 replica 302 350HP
Not Ranked     

I bought both the weld on flanges and the gaskets from Finish Line, www.cobraaccessories.com. I had the slip on tubes, I tried everything to keep them tight, finally gave up and welded on flanges, no leaks and no loose pipes.

jarendall
Old 06-28-2005, 11:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

For an SPF, just buy new SPF sidepipe gaskets and you'll be set. They work great.

Anytime you remove a sidepipe, throw away the nuts and bolts and use new ones to put it back on, seriously.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Q & A with PERMATEX

I have approx 30 hours of engine time after installing the side pipes to the headers/primaries using Permatex only, no gasket. To date, no leaks.

**** QUESTION SENT TO PERMATEX

Tom.Dobruck@Permatex.com

Can the Permatex product 101 BR Ultra Copper Sensor Safe High Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker be used between the header extension and the
exhaust pipe/collector without any other type of gasket material ? The specific application is for the side pipes on a Cobra.

If not, is there a Permatex product for this application, w/o the use of a gasket material ?

****ANSWER RECEIVED FROM PERMATEX

Depending on the gap between the two mating parts, you can try using the Ultra Copper.
You can call the Permatex Tech Center 1-877-376-2839 and speak to one of our technicians.
If you give them more information they will be able to help you with your application.
Tom Dobruck
Marketing Communications

*** ANSWER by phone FROM PERMATEX TECH CENTER

Permatex does not specfically recommend using any of their products for the application mentioned without also using a gasket. It is " possible " that using Permatex only will work, but the mating surfaces must be perfectly clean and straight with a very minimal amount of surface deflection. The Tech emphasized, Permatex only may or may not work.,

Last edited by Don; 06-29-2005 at 11:30 AM..
Old 06-29-2005, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I've tried Permatex at the slip fit connection on my headers/collectors. It lasted no more than 3 or 4 days before it burned away and/or blew out. The chunks that I found on the ground were clearly burnt. I think the temperatures of the pipes at the header/collector greatly exceed the 400 or 500 deg F intermittent rating on the high temp silicone sealers. I suspect that those that have had success with this method would have had the same success with no sealer at all (those with good flat surfaces).

Chris
Old 06-30-2005, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

DVCOBRA,

I would be interested in your copper header to sidepipe flange gaskets. Let us know what the price is and I bet there will be several interested owners here.

Thanks.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 07-01-2005, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra w/ Centrifugally Blown Big Block, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed Bun.
Not Ranked     
Default Byson Products

My cobra has one piece exhaust from tip to head flange, but if I had a flat flange exhaust joint to seal; here's what I'd do...

I'd call these guys http://www.byson.com/diecut.html

Why?

- They built several sets of custom header gaskets for me for a song; just for the opportunity of filling a niche that wasn't filled. (Chevy exhaust blue thunder, supercharged application, 1600deg F capable)

- They build the gaskets from a CAD drawing I provided.

- They use GOOD materials; including ASBESTOS laden polymer impregnated fiberglass fabrics that hold up to the abuse that such a flange will see.

- They know their business; they do race exhaust for very demanding applications.

I'd call them up, tell them there's a need for bulletproof gaskets in this application, send them a sample, and they'll help you build a gasket that will last forever. Hell, they may even make it already. If it's a problem gasket, there's a good chance they do.

Byron Reynolds
RACE Systems
San Jose, CA
Old 07-01-2005, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh, I would be in on the copper gaskets...I cam supply the old gasket shape for the cut on SPF exhausts...!!!