SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2006, 03:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default SPF Throttle Pedal

The throttle pedal on SPO 1862 wobbles from side to side, roughly 3/4 to 1 inch. If I lift the pedal with my hand, it raises well past the height of the clutch and break pedals.

The springs are still connected and working. I reached under the dash and felt where the pedal connects to the box mounted on top of the foot box. I can't feel any loose connections.

Since pedal travel is no longer straight back, pressing the accelerator pedal yields unpredictable results for a given effort. The pedal no longer consistently returns to a position parallel with the break and clutch, causing me to lift my foot higher and search for it. There is no resistance to depressing the pedal to the same height as the break and clutch and the resistance or 'feel' when I press the pedal further is much less than it used to be.

The connections under the hood look and feel fine. No wobble or vibration.

I never got under the dash and examined the pedal when it was working correctly so I have no idea what I should be looking for to restore the normal movement. Any thoughts?

As an aside, I posted a couple of other problems no more complicated than this on the Superformance site. No replies; not so much as an acknowedgement that I had a problem. Since my queries on Club Cobra consistently yield useful results, I'm asking here. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, 418 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Steve - Sorry you're having a problem. The same thing happened to me, twice. If your problem is the same as mine, all you need to do is tighten the bolt that the pedal is suspended from. 12 or 13 mm wrench. Also, check the nylon bushing that the bolt goes through to be sure it's intact.

I'm curious about which Superformance site you posted your questions on. The only SPF site I know of where there is an active forum is the Superformance Cobra Owners Forum (SCOF), here (http://performanceunlimited.com/scof/). Did you post your questions on this site or somewhere else? I have always found SCOF members to be very responsive and helpful, so if you posted there and got no answers, I'm surprised.
Hope this helps.
Jerry
Old 06-26-2006, 09:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks, Jerry. I found the bolt and it was loose. I've tightened it a few turns and it seems to loosen again after I push the pedal in a few times. If I can't get the bolt to fasten securely, I'll check the washer.

Good tip! Thanks.

Yes, my earlier attempts to get advice on other minor problems used the SCOF site. One involved a problem with the parking break interfering with the drive line, resulting in an odd chatter and a vibration felt in the gearshift. The other dealt with the fender mirror coming apart on the highway. The requests posted but after a few days with no reply I went to CC and had answers as quickly as yours. I know many folks use SCOF with good results.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well, here's how it turned out.

I could reach the head of the bolt to unscrew it by leaning into the car, through the door opening and over the seat. Once the bolt and washer were free, I found I could not position both the dangling throttle pedal and the bolt. I solved this problem by removing the driver's seat and laying upside down in the footwell and reaching above my face, into the confined space between the clutch assembly and the fitting for the bolt. Even so, the bolt, washer and pedal proved too difficult to align correctly, making sure not to cross-thread the bolt, to allow me to fit the assembly quick enough to make effective use of lock-tite, as the tech at Dynamic recommended.

The end result has the bolt, washer and pedal correctly fitted and tight. I had to remove the spring from the pedal to get the bolt started; once it was threaded correctly, I re-attached the spring, then tightened the bolt.

Crawling on my back, in and out of the driver's side footwell, through the space between the steering wheel and the open door, was a challenge. Here's a tip: Lead with your head.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, 418 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Steve - Glad you got it fixed. Two comments: 1. Next time, consider removing the steering wheel rather than the seat (or maybe both). Pop off the plate in the center and remove the 15/16" nut (not the 6 small screws), and the wheel pulls straight out. 2. I don't know if you monitor SCOF, but there's an ongoing discussion there right now on this loose pedal problem. Been going on for a day or two. Interesting coincidence, huh?
Jerry
Old 06-30-2006, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra SC, 514CID
Not Ranked     

"As an aside, I posted a couple of other problems no more complicated than this on the Superformance site. No replies; not so much as an acknowedgement that I had a problem"

Steve

According to SCOF records, "Steve Cassani SPF 1862" is not a member. If you don't join SCOF your questions will not post. You can go to http://performanceunlimited.com/scof/subscribe.html to sign up.

Craig
Old 06-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks, Craig. I registered with SCOF for a couple of months. I grew impatient with the steady flow of largely private or personal communications among members flowing to my inbox. This and the fact no one replied to what I thought were serious requests for information led me to drop my registration.

The site moderator cautioned me not to drop out of SCOF and to opt for the 'web style' option to the steady stream of messages. By that time I had pretty much lost interest and I knew Club Cobra provided the prompt and informative replies I was hoping for.

Learning the subject I raised here is receiving further, independent discussion on SCOF encourages me to re-register. I know the replies on SCOF that did address technical issues were generally well prepared and helpful. This and the fact Superformance pays attention to the dialog among its customers makes a positive outcome more likley. The tech I spoke to at Dynamic replied to my question of what I should do; we did not discuss whether the problem was more common so the dialog on SCOF may be timely.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra SC, 514CID
Not Ranked     

Steve

On your problem with the gas pedal nut comming loose, I have recently had the same problem... Now with a 4 year old car. Studying the design, I think I can improve it.. I'm going to add this to my winter to-do's. I'll look you up when I have a solution..

Craig