Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 07:56 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
I'm on heavy sedation drugs as I've just done my ac joint while coming off my bicycle at 60kph on my way to work yesterday.
Oooh, I'm sorry to hear that. Well, in that case, just close your eyes and dream of Wynkin and Blynkin as two little eyes and Nod as a little head. And the wooden shoe that sailed the skies is a wee one's trundle bed....
Old 11-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

It's pretty simple, when you purchase 30+/- engines a year you gain a lot of experience in shopping the market and finding out where the value is, where the peace of mind is, and also where the nonsense is.

I like companies that don't say this or that about their competition... that simply deliver and speak about their own product and why it is superior.

A Roush engine is end to end, ready to run at these prices. They don't "try things" and ship it off to you. I realize this is wasted on a lot of people, but there's always a company that will do something cheaper...
Old 11-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

For $50K or less, Barry R is selling his 527ci SOHC engine from Engine Masters that made 870 HP. Step right up.

Ford 427 SOHC Engine - 527 cubes! 870 horsepower! | eBay

Patrick, all I have to say is "Oye Vey."
Old 11-11-2011, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

according to those prices my engine has appreciated $1800 since I bought, should have bought more, LOL. What the difference between srx and sr??
Old 11-11-2011, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
A Roush engine is end to end, ready to run at these prices. They don't "try things" and ship it off to you. I realize this is wasted on a lot of people, but there's always a company that will do something cheaper...
...neatly ignoring the VALUE FOR MONEY concept.
...ready to run and use oil.
...ready to require Hawking with a lap top to tune them.
Other builders that supply real power figures with lesser costs have warranties also-they even honor them with generally superior customer service.
Roushs' are for white belt-and-shoes guys who don't do enough hard research before writing checks.
-Herman Cain.

Last edited by ERA Chas; 11-11-2011 at 09:55 AM..
Old 11-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
according to those prices my engine has appreciated $1800 since I bought, should have bought more, LOL. What the difference between srx and sr??
Yes, that would be true, if it were still brand new and Roush was selling it.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
...ready to run and use oil.
...ready to require Hawking with a lap top to tune them.
Other builders that supply real power figures with lesser costs have warranties also-they even honor them with generally superior customer service.
-Herman Cain.
Chas, I think what Cashburn is saying is that once you add in the alternator, carburetor, and the defibrillator that you will need once you write the check, the Roush engine is about the same price as their competitors and the Roush warranty appears to have worked for their customers who have had problems.

Honestly, I'm so confused with all the engine offerings that Roush sells.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Chas, I think what Cashburn is saying is that once you add in the alternator, carburetor, and the defibrillator that you will need once you write the check, the Roush engine is about the same price as their competitors and the Roush warranty appears to have worked for their customers who have had problems.
Ohhhh-THAT's what he meant.
So an alternator ($120) and a Holley (+/-$800) gets you to the $40-$50K plateau???-my bad.
So they build a $10K 427, add a $6K EFI, an alt and a Holley-presto $21K- maybe 550HP. Oh and you get a tag on the engine which tells you the temps and one dyno pull HP number (but NO dyno sheet) and you can show your pals at the golf course how cool you are.
Those kind of buyers gave Cash-Burn his name.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Dang, Chas.

Quote:
Now Chas., was that shot really necessary?
Old 11-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Ohhhh-THAT's what he meant.
So an alternator ($120) and a Holley (+/-$800) gets you to the $40-$50K plateau???-my bad.
So they build a $10K 427, add a $6K EFI, an alt and a Holley-presto $21K- maybe 550HP. Oh and you get a tag on the engine which tells you the temps and one dyno pull HP number (but NO dyno sheet) and you can show your pals at the golf course how cool you are.
Every part of this post is false. You'll never get it, so why keep going?
Old 11-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
The heart of the matter is you have different values and/or a different value. Why is it acceptable for you to make direct insults at members of the forum who have chosen 1 engine builder over yours? Settle in and let the engine builder demonstrate this value...
Old 11-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Honestly, I'm so confused with all the engine offerings that Roush sells.
The reason there are so many in that list is because they have different part numbers for a standard 427R vs. SPF 427R vs. SPF GT40 427R vs. BDR 427R etc. One company wants serp. pulleys and the other wants V's. One car can fit a given intake and air filter and the other may not.

None of this has anything to do with the incorrect title of this thread... but so it goes. I presume a couple posters on this are queuing off that incorrect title anyway.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

nobody know the difference between the sr and the srx, looks like same engine for $1k cheaper. maybe a different block
Old 11-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
nobody know the difference between the sr and the srx, looks like same engine for $1k cheaper. maybe a different block
heads, carb, cam.

sr is what used to be called sr+tw.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
This whole thread is pointless. Unbelievable.

A waste of internet space. Even worse than my irrelevant posts.
Cashburn, quoting my own post from page 1, post #14. I agree.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Cashburn, quoting my own post from page 1, post #14. I agree.
Uhhh, I'd like to know why ERAChas is so mean to Cashburn?
Old 11-11-2011, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

I price engine to all sorts of car builders and what I have found is that most of them are looking for some cheap deal. I have done it with a lot of the Superformance and Backdraft dealers. They want cheap engines so that they can offer a complete turn key car cheap. The main reason they deal with Roush is because he gives them about a 1000.00 per engine give or take a little. I have also had several of them tell me that they did not get their money.
Cashburn and other can say what they want but they are in to make money like everyone else. If they did not get a nice commission of the Roush engine thay would not mess with them most of the time. There are a lot of engine builders that offer warranties and any warranty is as good as the paper it is written on. The warranty deal is bunch of bull **** most of the time anyway when you read the fine print. The ones that the insurance companies sell are a joke and do not cover much but is what most use when they advertise a warranty.
I have a lot of these car dealers, builders want me to build an inferior product so that they could make more of the engine. I will not do it and have my name associatted with it so it is hard to deal with a lot of them. I know some of the prices they are paying for some of this stuff and it is not much engine at that price. We fall some where in the middle on these deals as far as price and offer some lower to higher price engines.
I even sold the people running the Roush deal a lot of the parts when they were starting their engine programs from scratch. They use the same parts as most other people and do not even do their heads in house on these engines, it is a crate engine like everyone else does with some fancy parts on the outside.
The engine business is one of the toughest busineses to ever be in. You complete with people working out of their garage that have no investment in anything and use other peoples machinesne to people that will flat out lie about what they are doing for you. Plus everyone knows everything about engine building just ask them. Really gotten just crazy.

Later, Keith
Old 11-11-2011, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
Every part of this post is false. You'll never get it, so why keep going?
Know what Cashburn?
First off- I apologize for the personal insult to your (I think) screen name. Was out of line.
To be clear, I didn't single you out as a Roush dealer to dump on you. You just happen to be the only one of those that tried to explain/defend the Roush system.
Which also says something.
Let's agree to disagree. You continue your business and I'll continue to encourage non-builders to research power choices and their origins much more carefully.
Having said that, there were no falsehoods in any of my quote. A local SPF assembler allowed about 40 of us (Cobras) to coffee and chat at his shop weekly and I saw pallet after pallet of R's on the floor with the manila tags on the distributor.
Further, I used to market and write all tech for a HP crate engine outfit that used only their own castings.
427 Windsor: 525 HP: solid cam: pump gas:$10,295.
460 Windsor: 600 HP: roller cam: pump gas: $12,195
427 Windsor DRAG 630 HP: solid roller: race gas: $10,995
Aluminum blocks were a $2500 option. Could get the whole thing polished for $1300 more. Oh and Accel DFI was a $3500 option. Still not near any Roush numbers, am I?
Those were always conservative HP numbers 'cause if you sent one out that made 599HP instead of 600 they'd send it back *****ing.
They routinely made 540, 620 and between 680 and 718 HP respectively.
They went to the customer needing a water pump and fuel pump only. Warrantied 2 years.
So I didn't lie and I know what parts cost from the build sheets which I compiled and advertised.
Let's live to fight another day.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

I would never touch a Roush product, pass some of the discounts on to the consumer, there all the same parts, why charged more, hate to see people raked over the coals.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

KC is correct, warranties are fuking useless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read the fine print ding dongs not what someone thinks, feels, remembers.