Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
I am curious will it make you feel better when someone says "All builders have parts issues at one time or another"? I doubt it but wanted to get a jump on it.
I don't blame ford racing for the faulty seals but it would have been nice for them to have told me that there was a issue with them'when i rang there tech line 2 weeks ago i asked the question were there any issues with seals on these engines , the reply was no , well bull**** i have every right to be pissed, we pulled off a perfectly sealed intake for nothing, especially seeing that there is history for this problem, i know plenty of mechanics who have been burned due to faulty parts, but the link that was put up to the ffcars forum with a person with simular issues i have been in contact with him and yes he also had the same problem and yes it was the seals this was in aprill of this year, its funny how i orded my 427 5th of may this year so around the same time as his, i'm curious as to how ford racing will handle this seeing i'm so far away, even if they send me new seals i dought i will use them, i will however take a new intake gasket, i have asked them to send me a new one lets see how good they handle this one.
cheers chris
here is a pic before it went in.

And my baby the red vert on the left

Last edited by 68pony; 12-13-2011 at 06:22 PM..
Old 12-13-2011, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Please keep us posted, Chris. This will tell a lot about Ford Racing. Sorry you went through this, but it seems a solution is on the horizon. I bought my 427w in October of 2010. The seals are not orange.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 12-13-2011, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks mark, i will keep you posted on what they do, if you look at the pics i added obove your post the red coup in the middle and the spring time yellow vert on the right have roush engines in them, i wanted to be different and went ford racing.
cheers chris.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think you figured it out, most vendors are only reactive. Let the customer take it in the a$$$ and we know our liabilities and will move at a pace within our contractual agreement. That why I suggest Keith Craft, Blykins, they are small enough they cant afford to be reactive, and they actually give a sheet.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five MKIII, 427W
Not Ranked     
Default Good to know...

Good info about the Orange Seals. Once I get to my first start, if it burns oil that will be the first thing I check.
FFR6682 - MK 3.1 complete kit, Forte built Ford Racing BOSS 427W(475hp/500lbs), TKO600, Power Steering/Brakes, VPM Front/Rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, SAI mod, 13"Front/11.65"Rear Cobra rotors w/calipers, Nitto NT05-255/40R17-Front, 315/35R17-rear,3.55 IRS.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     

Which would be easier to change first in the event of similar oil consumption issues, the valve stem seals or the intake gasket?
Old 12-15-2011, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Both are a pain, but for different reasons. I hate opening a perfectly good intake given you have to drain the coolant, disconnect fuel lines and linkage, remove the distributor (not always), and scrape gasket and sealant. Valve seal are much less invasive, but do require removing rocker arms, finding a way to retain the valves (usually air) while you remove the locks and retainers, and then install rockers and readjust all the valves. Given a choice, I would always go for replacing seals.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 12-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I replaced the seal in a 351 last month. I use an adapter to blow air into the cylinders. I borrowed a tool to compress the spring and a magnet to remove the keepers. A third hand makes it a lot easier. It took about 1 1/2 hours to replace the seals.

Dwight
When you remove the intake, drain the oil first or plan on new oil when you finish.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well just an update ford racing have gone all quiet they will not reply to my emails now that i have told them they are hiding this issue, i know 2 other 427's here in sydney that had to get the orange seals changed and if you include mine that makes three and there tech line had the nerv to tell me they have had no issues with seals, don from the ffcars forum told me his 427 had bad seals but could not tell me the colour as he just pulled the motor out and sent it back, yes we had to pull a pefectly sealed intake and that has totally pissed me off!!! thanks to there good for nothing tech line, so BEWARE ANYONE THAT HAS ORDED ONE OF THESE 427'S check the seals before install if there orange just change them or better still before you recieve it demand that the seals are not orange, shame on you ford racing for the way you are treating me,
chris
Old 12-15-2011, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Okay an hour after my lasy post i got a email from ford racing, if changing the seals fix's the problem they asked me to send the bill and they will run it by management.
chris.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think punative damages are in order. Make sure you include that!

Good to hear they responded. I love how empowered people are to make a decision.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 12-16-2011, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star with IRS, 427W with megasquirt, T56 magnum
Not Ranked     

Definitely include the intake gasket they sent you on a wild goose chase with.

I have one I ordered in late July 2011. Anyone know if or when they fixed this problem? I had my valve covers off to swap left for right, but didn't look. I started it for the first time last night and it was smokey, but didn't smell like oil smoke. It was way rich and retarded.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Luce, mine was rich and retarded at first start also. I fixed the timing (16 at idle, 950 rpm and 32 total all in by 3200 rpm), but my very rich issue seems to be a cracked baseplate on the carb. I've swapped carbs, changed the oil and filter, and will try to start it again and tune the carb today. We'll see how it goes. Good luck to both you and Chris!
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 12-16-2011, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luce View Post
Definitely include the intake gasket they sent you on a wild goose chase with.

I have one I ordered in late July 2011. Anyone know if or when they fixed this problem? I had my valve covers off to swap left for right, but didn't look. I started it for the first time last night and it was smokey, but didn't smell like oil smoke. It was way rich and retarded.
Sounds like what happened to me from start up, but timing was right i have my dizzy locked at 32 and carb was a pro systems that was built for my 408, i rang pro systems and they said it would be perfect for this motor, are you sure its running rich? run it for a while and stick your fingers in the tail exhaust pipes, mine were covered in oil, i thought the same thing at first its running rich and then i drove it and it would smoke bad at idle and be okay once driving, also when it was cold(morning start) would not smoke till it got to norm temp,pull the plugs , there was oil in every cylinder in mine, but i really hope its just running rich, i know how your feeling now though.
cheers chris.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm still a long ways from driving mine, so I won't know about the seals any time soon, but I will remember tthe his discussion.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, looks like I'll be pulling valve covers to get a look. I did some tuning yesterday and got the no load parts of my VE map running fairly good. I stopped it and let is set for a few minutes, then restarted it and got a visit from the blue Genie. It's only 5 bolts on one side, but I have to remove the fuel pressure reg to see the other side. At least it doesn't knock and has good oil pressure.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I wonder if your seals are orange?, please let us know and make sure you let ford racing know aswell, this is not good.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'll make it a point to look this evening. You're right. I bought a Ford Racing because I thought I was getting top quality stuff. This wasn't a cheap engine considering all of the parts you have to provide.

Would you mind PM'ing me the contact info for who you're dealing with?
Old 12-20-2011, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yep, I have the orange seals. What a *****! What's wrong with them? Not tight enough on the valve stem?
Old 12-20-2011, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Luce, man that sucks! It is the intake valves that are the real problem. On the intake stroke, oil is pulled past the seal. However, it is easier to change them now before you have bigger problems.

Did Ford say that ALL orange seals are a problem? If you are not seeing oil in your exaust or fouling your plugs, perhaps your are fine?
Kirkham #690 289 FIA