Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Horsepower on the Fly with AEM’s AQ-1 Data Logger and Dyno-Shaft | Dragzine

Found this ---------

I guess that since I've always been trying to get down or around a track in as few seconds working toward ZERO TIME, I must be working away from HP and towards TORQUE as HORSEPOWER has a time factor-----------

Also find I'm working away from RPMin as I want less revolutions as possible(way under 1000)

Also want to go to the salt flats to see if I can actually turn the earth backwards(well the way things are now, maybe I should try forward-------)
Old 02-23-2013, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok, nothing of consensus reached, but interesting getting the different view points. Glad some view torque as I do, I suppose there will always be a divided opinion on this.

Final thoughts, those believing we should have addressed this at the "power" level really didn't understand the question, this discussion has always been about the two components of power, and which one should be given priority when building/tuning a motor. Imbedded in that was my assumption (right or wrong) that the boundary conditions for the motor were kind of understood -

V8's from 289 up to say 460 max, and operating in the 3-6k range

So we agree to disagree, happens more often than not in these here parts.

I also noticed some of our prominent motor builders decided to sit this one out. Can't blame 'em, I'm sure they have been down this dirt road before, no need to choke on all that dust to a known dead end
Old 02-23-2013, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post
Horsepower on the Fly with AEM’s AQ-1 Data Logger and Dyno-Shaft | Dragzine

Found this ---------

I guess that since I've always been trying to get down or around a track in as few seconds working toward ZERO TIME, I must be working away from HP and towards TORQUE as HORSEPOWER has a time factor-----------

Also find I'm working away from RPMin as I want less revolutions as possible(way under 1000)

Also want to go to the salt flats to see if I can actually turn the earth backwards(well the way things are now, maybe I should try forward-------)

+1 Jerry!

I think I also remember something about giving it 5, 5 and 5 just before the last round

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL427SBF View Post
Ok, nothing of consensus reached, but interesting getting the different view points. Glad some view torque as I do, I suppose there will always be a divided opinion on this.

Final thoughts, those believing we should have addressed this at the "power" level really didn't understand the question, this discussion has always been about the two components of power, and which one should be given priority when building/tuning a motor. Imbedded in that was my assumption (right or wrong) that the boundary conditions for the motor were kind of understood -

V8's from 289 up to say 460 max, and operating in the 3-6k range

So we agree to disagree, happens more often than not in these here parts.

I also noticed some of our prominent motor builders decided to sit this one out. Can't blame 'em, I'm sure they have been down this dirt road before, no need to choke on all that dust to a known dead end

I think you have your answer after a fashion AL427SBF. Take a look at the dyno chart back in my post #58. You don't have to rely on opinion. Those numbers that make up the graph are empirical evidence of how important big torque early in the usable rpm range and out through your 6000 rpm target really is. The HP curve is literally a straight line upwards - it don't get any better than that! Albeit the big torque starts lower than your target 3000 rpm starting point but that's all the better - in the real world.

BTW remember those are RW numbers divide by 0.85 for flywheel. TQ is absolutely your friend and as Jerry pointed out the more you can get and the sooner you can get it, the better it is.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 02-23-2013 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 02-23-2013, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I need no convincing, if you jump away from "Club Cobra ... world's largest non-biased Cobra site!" you find all sorts of interesting stuff ...

Bill Hancock
Mechanical engineer and the founder and former owner of Arrow Racing Engines for almost 30 years. He has presented numerous papers and seminars on dyno testing and tuning. He and his longtime friend, Harold Bettes, formerly the VP of SuperFlow Corporation, recently co-authored a book entitled, “Dyno Testing and Tuning”.

"Hot Rodders and beginners like to talk about horsepower and are usually enthralled with only one number, the peak horsepower produced. Professional Engine builders will talk about the shape of a torque curve, where it starts and where it noses over."

"You will learn that the top tuners really focus their work on shaping the torque curve. If a torque curve has too many humps and dips, the driver will never be able to effectively pedal the car at the edge of traction and ultimately will settle for a part throttle setting that is controllable but not competitive."

"Driving a car with a lumpy torque curve is like trying to dribble a football."

http://www.aera.org/engine-professional/dyno-numbers/

Those who take exception to the above, please address directly with Bill Hancock lol.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

Which posts advocate PEAK hp over average torque?

Quote:
...how one would try to tune/build their powerplant for best performance regarding torque and HP... curious on what the tuning or engine building tricks are to get that strong torque curve from say 3-6.5K?
My answer to the actual questions:

1. Build it as big as possible (cid)
2. Build as much compression as your fuel will allow.
3. Match the cylinder head to the airflow requirements for your cid @ 3-6K rpm.
4. Run a big solid roller.

of course, my idea of "best" performance may differ from yours... what unit of measure are you using to quantify "best"?

The parameters for my build were:

1. Small Block
2. Pump gas
3. 3-6K rpm
4. single 4-barrel, naturally aspirated
5. street/road course

My build specs (eng #1):

434 cid
9.6:1 compression
AFR 210 Head
Solid Roller 264/272 @.050, .650 lift, 106 LS
750 Stealth Racing Carb on a Victor jr w/1" spacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottj View Post
Every performance engine I've ever owned was developed to have the widest, flattest, torque curve possible... "tune for a big flat torque curve" is stating the obvious.

Of the 4 engines I've had in my Cobras, I've always built them for max power in the 3-6000 rpm range... because I drove them on the street as well as the track. An frankly, the power we made in that rpm range was probably more than my average skills could use anyway.

Last edited by scottj; 02-23-2013 at 01:35 PM..
Old 02-23-2013, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

But Scott----did you ever show your dyno sheets to anyone at Run N Gun??????????
I bet there were several there with some big numbers -----------
Old 02-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
...did you ever show your dyno sheets to anyone at Run N Gun??????????
Yep, carry it with me wherever I go.

Last edited by patrickt; 11-08-2016 at 11:29 AM..
Old 02-23-2013, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

Quote:
But Scott----did you ever show your dyno sheets to anyone at Run N Gun??????????
No Jerry, I never showed my dyno sheets to anyone at R&G. In anything I've ever raced we (the drivers) have never discussed HP. I've never been beaten by HP either... only by better cars or better drivers...

and for what it's worth, I've never discussed peak HP with my engine builder either... isn't even on the dyno print out... the dyno software prints out the average HP/TQ #s
Old 02-24-2013, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
"Hot Rodders and beginners like to talk about horsepower and are usually enthralled with only one number, the peak horsepower produced. Professional Engine builders will talk about the shape of a torque curve, where it starts and where it noses over."

"You will learn that the top tuners really focus their work on shaping the torque curve. If a torque curve has too many humps and dips, the driver will never be able to effectively pedal the car at the edge of traction and ultimately will settle for a part throttle setting that is controllable but not competitive."
You won't find me talking about peak horse power, unless I'm comparing farm tractors used to plow large fields.

Once you have settled on a certain engine and rpm range, of course your tuning is focused on shaping the torque curve. That's all there is left to do.

However if you are trying to decide if you should build a big block or a small block on a certain budget, then Hp is the only way to compare. A 289, with its short stroke, is capable of a lot of rpm, where a 428, with its long stroke, is not. Sure you can make a 4" stroke spin fast, if money is no object, but since we are constrained by a budget, it is fair to say that for the same money these two engines will operate in different rpm ranges. Additionally these two engines will produce very different amounts of torque. The 289 less torque and higher rpm. The 428 more torque and less rpm. So to compare these two engines, Hp (the average Hp over its intended range) is the only way to compare how each engine will perform. Obviously the gear ratio would be different for the two engines.

Quote:
"Driving a car with a lumpy torque curve is like trying to dribble a football."
I couldn't agree more.

Last edited by olddog; 02-24-2013 at 10:31 AM..
Old 02-24-2013, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison
Not Ranked     
Default Patrickt

Just curious, @ what rpm were your peak Hp and torque #'s ?