Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2019, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 418
Not Ranked     
Default Smedling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE III View Post
You are correct that Hurricane's take a front sump pan. My Smeding crate motor came with the baffled Canton pan. I developed a small pin leak at one of the baffle welds on the bottom and am about to replace it. For what its worth, Smeding said they have moved away from Canton pans and are now installing Moroso pans. Here's a link comparing the two at Summit:
http://www.summitracing.com/compare
Aside from slight dimensional differences and dipstick on the opposite side, the crank scraper on the Canton pan appears to be the primary difference. Not sure how important that is. I'm leaning toward the Moroso pan for the difference in cost and many reviews on the Canton pans leaking like I have.
I have a Smedling Performance 418w stroker built in 2004 when they were still in CA. Now their in Born, TX and still building very high quality engines. Have not had one issue with the engine. Has about 5500 miles now. I don't race it however, sometimes my foot gets VERY heavy.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to Hoodabest
Not Ranked     

Just an update/test. I'm making great progress and splitting off a couple new threads as the build starts gathering some momentum. It has turned into a multi engine build of different "heat levels" and I really would like to share the experience. But not until I get this damn photo posting down. Turns out that the first step is figuring out which cloud service actually won the war to do me the favor of hijacking my photos into their cloud service. Then getting the pics one desires to share all in one easy to deal with spot.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2021, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Oil pan pic. Way too big! Please help.

Success!!! I ask that someone please verify that yes, there is a photo of an oil pan on your view of the above post, and that it is indeed larger than normal. It appears that I can attach pics directly from one of my folders, just that I now need to resize them before posting. Each step comes with a "PHP error" message and when I hit the back button it does what's asked.
Old 08-24-2021, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodabest View Post
Success!!! I ask that someone please verify that yes, there is a photo of an oil pan on your view of the above post, and that it is indeed larger than normal. It appears that I can attach pics directly from one of my folders, just that I now need to resize them before posting. Each step comes with a "PHP error" message and when I hit the back button it does what's asked.
Yes. It is as you describe.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 08-24-2021, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Tommy. BTW, that pic is the inside view of a Armand's racing oil pan. I may have read somewhere that he used to work for Aviaid? Either way I will say that his work is top notch. Below is an attempt at resizing a photo of one of my Edelbrock heads. Have them out of the box for a once-over and to upgrade the springs. Even though the cam specs put the springs inside the envelope, I prefer them to be in the middle of the window not at the upper end.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2021, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ok, it appears that the photo of the head went OK. I need to know that the size is coming out ok. Then I can actually start posting some good material.
Old 08-29-2021, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2158, ERA 427SC 649 sold
Not Ranked     

I would recommend a Ford Performance short block. A stronger 4 bolt block with revised priority main bearing oiling. Already machined, clearanced, balanced and assembled with all the good stuff. Steel crank, H beam rods and forged pistons. Pick your own heads, manifold, cam and valvetrain. Cost is a deal at around 6K.
Old 08-29-2021, 11:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would second the above recommendation. Especially to anyone who isn't into their build as far as I am now. The Ford Performance option appeared to be outside my budget, but based on where things ended up, it wouldn't be all that far off.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

You had mentioned a duel quad set up I would recommend a signal for ease of set up/tuning.I will admit though the duel has a better cool factor .
Old 09-21-2021, 11:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Probably starting a new engine thread, here's why.

Tough decision on whether to even continue on this forum or not. Maybe it's just me, but joining in here feels a lot like moving into a small town. There, I said it. Took a fair amount of self-reflection to say that, wanted to make sure I wasn't going away all butt-hurt because the cool kids wouldn't play. But then I realized that's exactly what I was doing, decided to htfu, and move forward. The build has changed dramatically in both scale and scope. Please check out the new thread and hopefully you'll find it interesting.
Old 09-22-2021, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

Where is your new thread?

BTW, there is an active Hurricane builder/owner forum:
https://forum.hurricane-motorsports.com/forum/index.php

Also a Hurricane Cobra Registry - is this yours?
https://sites.google.com/view/thehur...023?authuser=0

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 09-22-2021, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcobra15 View Post
Where is your new thread?
Sorry Bob. I ran a little late last night to get it started. Thanks for the tip on the registry, hadn't heard of that one yet.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: