Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2022, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Does anyone actually make what would be a modern "big block"? I would think the physical size would make it not practical. Economically, from both engine physical size and the space it would take to mount it, it would increase the size and weight for little gain over an equivalent small block...
Old 02-23-2022, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Chevy ZZ632. Big block Chevy crate motor. 1000 HP.
We even got em in old pickups here in the 405

Last edited by sunman; 02-23-2022 at 05:38 PM..
Old 02-24-2022, 04:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 351w
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Does anyone actually make what would be a modern "big block"? I would think the physical size would make it not practical. Economically, from both engine physical size and the space it would take to mount it, it would increase the size and weight for little gain over an equivalent small block...
I'm not aware of anything going in a consumer based vehicle that would really be considered a big block, the Godzilla is probably the closest one. Once you get into medium duty trucks and larger they get huge but also tend to go to diesel. As Sunman mentioned below there is the ZZ632, and many other new big block engines being made for aftermarket setups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunman View Post
Chevy ZZ632. Big block Chevy crate motor. 1000 HP.
We even got em in old pickups here in the 405
I'd love to have one of the ZZ632's, or even the 572 but wouldn't put it in my Cobra, they are very cool and sound amazing. That price tag on the 632 is a bit scary though.

JB
I believe that any man's finest hour, his greatest fulfillment of all he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.
Old 02-24-2022, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Ford Performance catalog still lists big block crate engines. 572 CID. 655 Horsepower @ 5500 RPM. 710 lb.-ft. torque @ 4500 rpm. Pump gas.

Front sump: https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-572DF

Rear sump: https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-572DR

Old 02-24-2022, 11:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Ford Performance catalog still lists big block crate engines. 572 CID. 655 Horsepower @ 5500 RPM. 710 lb.-ft. torque @ 4500 rpm. Pump gas.

Front sump: https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-572DF

Rear sump: https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-572DR

I'm not surprised and maybe was even aware of the crate engines but the original query was directed at modern production vehicles.
Old 02-24-2022, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've been working on the wiring some now that I have the harness and controller in, harness fit under the intake, everything fits except for the knock sensor on the driver's side, it is about 2" too short. I'll also have to weld on a new O2 bung, the one on now is just a little too high and the sensor hits the body of the car. Engine bay:

I'm also correcting a few past sins in the wiring behind the dash, some were me, some were the original builder, ignition switch before:

Ignition switch now with some ties to make it a little more managible:

Slowly getting there, but the temps have been just too cold to get much done this week, but hope to get most of it completed this weekend. Then all that is left is getting the intake.

JB
Attached Images

msinc likes this.
I believe that any man's finest hour, his greatest fulfillment of all he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.
Old 02-24-2022, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'm not surprised and maybe was even aware of the crate engines but the original query was directed at modern production vehicles.
I was of a similar opinion until just recently Tony. I somehow missed the car below in Ford's 2003 SEMA Show booth. It qualifies (in my book) for the tightest engine fit I have ever seen.
FRPP unbelievably built two of these RS8 Focus vehicles using their FR500-C Modmotor racing engine for power. Dimensionally (width and height-wise), Modmotors are actually larger
than a 427 SOHC! Here is a pic of the lone survivor;

The other car was crushed, as Ford so often does when they don't want the item circulating in the real world. Amazingly this copy escaped the crusher and is now residing in Scotland.

Ford commissioned McLaren to do both builds and the workmanship is typical over the top McLaren.

Here is the car in the driveway of the current owner residing in Scotland;

Definitely waay cool and my bet is that, today, it is likely worth a king's ransom.

p.s. Here is a closer look at the underhood fit;

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 03-17-2022 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Old 02-24-2022, 01:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Ed,

To add to what you were describing, here's a link: https://kugelkomponents.com/focus-v-8/

Don't really know whether it is still viable...

Looked at these before I built my 1981 Mercury Zephyr wagon with the 557, but that's another story.

There was a dealer for these near me in Tavares Florida who had a couple of them built and could supply parts when I visited him around 7-8(?) years ago. I almost put the 557 into a Focus wagon instead, as it clearly would fit, along with the automatic and 8.8 axle. Would have been a fun car, then and now.

Sorry for continuing the hijacked thread,

Tom
Old 02-24-2022, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
I was of a similar opinion until just recently Tony. I somehow missed the car below in Ford's 2003 SEMA Show booth. It qualifies (in my book) for the tightest engine fit I have ever seen.
FRPP unbelievably built two of these RS8 Focus vehicles using their FR500-C Modmotor racing engine for power. Dimensionally (width and height-wise), Modmotors are actually larger
than a 427 SOHC! Here is a pic of the lone survivor;
I think the tightest fit I ever saw was a cammer in a Cobra. Or for that matter, a Cammer in almost anything.
Old 02-27-2022, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

I just had a 496 built that was based on a BBM 427 block. The shape of the combustion chambers looked modern and Lykins used thin rings like a modern engine.

The result is an engine that looks like a 60's side oiler but has the performance of a modern "big block". 640 HP for a mild build with great street manners.

John
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
I just had a 496 built that was based on a BBM 427 block. The shape of the combustion chambers looked modern and Lykins used thin rings like a modern engine.

The result is an engine that looks like a 60's side oiler but has the performance of a modern "big block". 640 HP for a mild build with great street manners.

John
John,
Now that looks like a ton of fun, any way to make good reliable power is a win, good luck with your build.

All,
In other news I did some more wiring this weekend and only have 3 circuits left, main power to the controller, extend the drivers side knock sensor, and finish installing the O2 sensor. I installed the new bung this weekend and was called away before I could finish. I went through a ton of connectors and shrink tube, ruined the starter coil by trying to stack too many terminals on it so I ordered a power distribution block that should help out with that.

JB
Old 03-17-2022, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I received my intake on Tuesday from DCE out of Connecticut, I should have received it Friday but UPS had other plans. I finished up everything needed to install it, I did have to move my fuel pressure regulator up a couple inches, but after that it bolted right on:

After that I finished the last few connections for the gauges and alternator I wanted to wait on until the intake was installed, I'm stoked about the way it turned out:

I then tried to start the car, it would only crank but not fire. I ended up finding out the battery in the car would charge to 12.3ish volts, key on the fuel pump kicks on, voltage drops to 10 something volts and wouldn't recover once the pump was primed. I changed the battery out and it fired right up. Here is a short video: First Start Video

Sadly my tach got filled with water, likely because I have a few leaks in the shop but thought it was in a "save place", that was not the case, that caused the glue to go on the needle. The tach was acting up last year so it was time to be replaced anyway. These are no longer in production so I went with Autometer this time, not ideal but I'll switch them all out eventually.

I have a bit more to put back together and it'll be ready to drive around in just a few days. Woo Hoo!!

JB
Attached Images

Tom Wells and letsboogie351 like this.
Old 03-17-2022, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmatth View Post
I received my intake on Tuesday from DCE out of Connecticut, I should have received it Friday but UPS had other plans. I finished up everything needed to install it, I did have to move my fuel pressure regulator up a couple inches, but after that it bolted right on:

After that I finished the last few connections for the gauges and alternator I wanted to wait on until the intake was installed, I'm stoked about the way it turned out:

I then tried to start the car, it would only crank but not fire. I ended up finding out the battery in the car would charge to 12.3ish volts, key on the fuel pump kicks on, voltage drops to 10 something volts and wouldn't recover once the pump was primed. I changed the battery out and it fired right up. Here is a short video:

Sadly my tach got filled with water, likely because I have a few leaks in the shop but thought it was in a "save place", that was not the case, that caused the glue to go on the needle. The tach was acting up last year so it was time to be replaced anyway. These are no longer in production so I went with Autometer this time, not ideal but I'll switch them all out eventually.

I have a bit more to put back together and it'll be ready to drive around in just a few days. Woo Hoo!!

JB
Congratulations!

Intake looks good, BTW.
Old 03-17-2022, 10:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Very nice!

The welds on that intake are incredibly consistent! Great progress!

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 03-21-2022, 04:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDUB View Post
The welds on that intake are incredibly consistent! Great progress!
I was very impressed with them, they look nothing like the last time I tried to TIG aluminum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Congratulations!

Intake looks good, BTW.
Thank you, it was a great feeling, sad that I've been working on this thing for so long and have so much tied up in it and just now hearing it run.

JB
Old 03-22-2022, 10:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Question

Quote:
... sad that I've been working on this thing for so long and have so much tied up in it and just now hearing it run.
JB
Well... we need to hear it run, too! Please post a vid!

Paul

1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 03-23-2022, 04:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

Quote:
Well... we need to hear it run, too! Please post a vid!
There is a video in post 83 above, I'll throw a link in here too for ya.

First Start Video

JB
letsboogie351 likes this.
Old 03-25-2022, 11:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Nice!

Quote:
There is a video in post 83 above, I'll throw a link in here too for ya.

First Start Video

JB
Sorry, I missed that... in post 52! Sounds healthy! Congrats and great work!

Paul

1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 03-28-2022, 04:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Sorry, I missed that... in post 52! Sounds healthy! Congrats and great work!
Not sure how I messed up the numbers, with that attention to detail I can't believe this car ever came together.

JB
Old 03-28-2022, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I knocked a few things off of the punch list this weekend while waiting on the oil pressure regulator, new tach is installed and really makes the old gauges look grungy:

I also checked and adjusted pinion angle, put in a new exhaust seal at the side pipe to header flange, final mounted the TB, and installed the hood which surprisingly fit like a glove:

A very tight glove but no contact, I have a very small amount of clearance as you can see, very small but it fits, with the poly motor mounts I don't think I'll make contact but time will tell. That is all I could get photos to upload to show sadly but small steps.

JB
Attached Images