Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2004, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Torker II vs. Performer RPM

I just got all of my parts for the 393 I'm building today, and was suprised to see that the Torker II manifold has tiny little ports. I already have a Performer RPM on my old 351 which has normal sized ports, now I'm wondering if I should go with the old RPM or even something else. I have a bueatifull new pair of victor jr.s and I really hate the idea of having the awfull mismatch caused by the little torker ports. Maby I am wrong to think this? I loved the idea of having the low rise torker since the RPM is awefull tight under the hood. I could really use some help resolving this $200 question.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 393 $27 S.O. bored and stroked to 482
Not Ranked     

Desertson,

No question, go with the RPM. Saw some recent tests, can't remember which magazine, the RPM is the way to go. In Air Gap form it even bested the Victor Jr.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP329 w/KC489 Shelby
Not Ranked     

Depending on the heads you have (I would assume big flow) you probably would want the Victor Jr or the Air Gap, not the regular RPM.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Default The best way

Is to port match the intake to the heads. Have a pro do it, you won't regret the small cost for the improved performance!

Yes, the Torker 2 passages were small at the heads (on my 514) and I doubt any of the above match your heads either. If you open them up to match the heads it will help, regardless of make !
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 07-22-2004, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

I would run the vic jr.

Small intake ports feeding large port heads is no big deal. Smaller intake ports can even help, depending on the combo.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon, windsor 408 stroker, tremec. Also GSX008
Not Ranked     

I have the same problem - space under the hood.

I have a Performer RPM feeding my Vic Jr heads. Limits the top end a touch - gets a tad breathless after 5500, but no biggy.
Low and mid range torque makes up for it.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

This question can't be answered without knowing what type of driving you will be doing.

Here is my $0.02
TorkerII
Put this on your tow vehicle unless you wan't your 392 stroker to choke down and get passed by mild 302 motors.

Performer RPM
Great all around cam for street driving and road course driving. The dual plane design will improve your low end and not really hurt your high end unless you plan on turning over 6500rpm. Keep in mind that most roller cams run out of steam before 6000rpm

Victor JR
Best used in a all out drag type motor with some streetability. To get the best out of this intake you will need a solid lifter cam capable of sustaining over 6500rpm

Don't forget the cardinal rule of "MATCHING COMPONENTS" If the cam is designed for 5500rpm then the intake shoud support just over this and don't put too big a set of heads designed for more rpm. There is a reason that edelbrock has performer rpm heads and performer rpm intakes. They are designed to work together

Besides with a 392 you shoud not need to spin it over 5500rpm to get good power out of it.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

I just got out my Edelbrock catalog and I was wrong on the torker II intake. It is a single plane design with a pretty narrow rpm range of 2500-6500rpm. The Performer RPMis designed for 1500-6500rpm so you will gain an additional 1000rpm down low where you can really feel it.

In the catalog they have a dyno chart for a 351 windsor(stock c.i.) using Performer RPM intake#7181(not a Air Gap), Performer RPM heads #60259, performer series 750 cfm carb #1407, 1-3/4" headers and a performer RPM cam#7182(specs I/E duration@0.050 224/234 degrees, lift .496/.520 with a 110 lobe seperation). This Combo put out 400HP at about 6000rpm and 412ft/lbs at about 4500rpm. The torque was about 350ft/lbs at 2500rpm. Your engine shoud put out 10 to 12% more power because it is about 12% larger. 440 HP and over 450ft/lbs sounds like more than enough in a Cobra.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP329 w/KC489 Shelby
Not Ranked     

When you go to the stroked 351s with big flowing heads, the RPMs will restrict your top end typically in the 5500+ rpm range. MM&FF did an extensive comparison on heads late last year and they changed intakes as well.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the help, I think I will go with the performer RPM. I just read an article in the June 04 Hot Rod that trashed on the Torker II pritty bad and showed the RPM outperforming it all around, and had the Victor Jr. Junior outperforming the RPM by a narrow margin, of course this is all on a somewhat mild 454, but the concinsus here seems to be that I can expect about the same from my 393. I'd like to go for the victor jr. intake but its out of the question (and hood). Now I just have to find a decent air cleaner that will fit in my hoodscope, I've been runing one of those foam edelbrock triangle jobs but I dont have too much faith in its ability to actualy clean air.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1670 Stroked Little Windsor - Runs OK.
Send a message via AIM to MidOHasp
Not Ranked     

Good choice. Performer RPM yeah may peter out a bit at the very top end, but it will still pull.

My 408 windsor is slamming HARD at 6000, starting to slow down a bit at 6300 and is DONE by 6500 and floating.

Shift point with the RPM (air gap) is 6300 and it loves it. And, it will cruise at 1500 RPM if necessary and idle at 800. It will stay running at 400 although it doesn't really sound THAT GOOD...it's happy at ALL POSSIBLE driving RPM's though...great intake! Matched well to my AFR 185 heads, 282HR cam, and 408 cid. Some say the intake and heads are too small, and on paper, I agree....but what a combo for the street!!!

544 lb-ft doesn't lie
Old 07-22-2004, 09:33 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by wilf leek

I have a Performer RPM feeding my Vic Jr heads. Limits the top end a touch - gets a tad breathless after 5500, but no biggy.
Low and mid range torque makes up for it.
Ditto here (same setup). No real need to twist the motor much beyond 5500 anyway, as the gear changes with my 3.73:1 go quickly and 100mph is on you real fast.