Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Standard Transmission and Gear speak with Jimi Guthrie

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-23-2006, 08:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thats why I want to be able to 'spec' the 1st and 2nd gear ratio's in the trans. The car is running a 3.5 rear gear and the typical 1 and 2 ratios are SO low they would be useless with rear (on street tires at least). I think the 3.5 rear gear will be fine with the .8 OD.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I agree with you, and the .82 OD has the 2.89 1st in it.

Thanks,
Jimi G.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cardiac, 428 FE
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks for the help

Thanks for the help Jimi and Dean. Looks like I'm a shoppin' for a 3.00 locker third member for a Ford 9". Any ideas?

Geez, I just put tube seals in it and almost a gallon of fresh Purple Triton gear lube.

Paul
Old 11-01-2006, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2459 460ci, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I just got my new TKO 600 from Standard Transmision. Great price and great service. Jimi Guthrie took the time to put together all of the parts that I would need to change over from the Toploader. His knowledge of his product saved me a lot of time, and saved me a good amount of $$$$$ over any other quote I got elsewhere.

Thanks again Jimi.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thom,

Thank you for the kind words, glad to here you were pleased with the price and my service. Let me know if you need anything else or have any questions about the install or anything else that might arise. I am sure you can't wait to get that thing in and finally get to kick it up in 5th and just cruise. Thanks again for the nice words. jimig@standardtransmission.com
Old 11-02-2006, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excaliber body, Modified Custom frame
Not Ranked     

Jimi, I just bought an aftermarket flywheel, pressure plate, and disk. I have a hydraulic throwout bearing for my T5. What tolerances/ spacing should I have ? I really appreciate the input you have for members on this site and thus is why I am asking you this question, thanks for the help,

"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country" JFK
Old 11-02-2006, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 351/402 Fi roller everything
Not Ranked     

i bought a new T-5z ,with 3.5 rear and the 4 and 5 speed gears howl and shifting in to 5 it grinds a little. is there a cure?also 5th is a little to tall (2000rpm at 70 mph) what should i do? is .68 taller than .82
Old 11-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The chronic .6 vs .8 debate, what DO these numbers mean?

1, thats the magic number, the CLOSER you get to 1, the closer you get to a standard shift non overdrive transmission. A top loader 4 speed is 1 to 1 ratio in fourth gear, so a .8 is close to 1, (just a little over drive) and .6 is farther away (a LOT of overdrive).

1, a beautiful number, stay close to it.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Leslie,

The spacing between your hyd. throwout bearing and the fingers on your pressure plate, when fully disengaged, should be between .100 and .300. Also, I am glad to be of assistance to you and all of your fellow Cobra owners. I look foward to helping with any other driveline questions you might have. jimig@standardtransmission.com

Last edited by Jimi G; 11-02-2006 at 11:12 AM..
Old 11-02-2006, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Pmfranke,

The lower the ratio # the lower your RPM's will be, higher # will be higher RPM's. As for the T5z, the gear howl in 4th and 5th more than likely is coming from your rearend, noices in the rear gear set will travel up your driveline to make you think it is coming from the tranny. As for it grinding going into 5th, I would first check the clearance between your throwout bearing and the fingers on your pressure plate, it should be between .100 and .300. If all is well there and you are getting adequate engagement movement then there is a good chance you have a worn sycro on 5th. jimig@standardtransmission.com
Old 11-02-2006, 11:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

so i guess the stock t-5z comes with a .63 which is too tall . i need a conversion to .82. could the syncro be worn out in 500 miles? thanks for the help guys
Old 11-02-2006, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I wouldn't think the sycro would be worn out in 500 miles, that is why I would start with the clutch and its related parts first. How old is your master cylinder, clutch, and slave cylinder, and do you have a hyd throwout bearing assm? jimig@standardtransmission.com
Old 11-03-2006, 11:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

no ,it is mustang style cable.Everything is new (500miles)how do you measure the gap?
Old 11-03-2006, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you have a full scatter shield, it will be a little difficult. it is different with a cable set up, what you will need to do is adjust the arm until the throwout bearing just touches the fingers of the clutch, then back it of just a hair to space the throwout bearing away from the fingers. If need anymore help let me know. jimig@standardtransmission.com

Last edited by Jimi G; 11-03-2006 at 12:29 PM..
Old 11-03-2006, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf1266 460,TKO,titanium/black stripes
Not Ranked     
Default Tremec Transmissions

Jimi G, I'm running a Tremec TKO, how much trans fluid does it hold? I'm guessing between 2.5 and 3 quarts. I see you recommend GM Synchromesh which is also what I have heard. Thanks for contributing to this forum, it really helps!!
1967 Pontiac GTO Ram Air
1962 Thunderbird Conv.
1991 Mustang GT Built
Old 11-03-2006, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Jimi,

Some time ago you ran a special on your TKO 600 (I think it was a group purchase or something). I wasn't ready then but I might be ready after the first of the year to go with the TKO 600 w .82 behind my 427 (535 hp at flywheel).

Are you planning anything like that again?

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 11-03-2006, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Greg,

The TKO will hold a little over 3 quarts of oil, and it is my pleasure to be here Greg, if I can help you with anything else just let me know. jimig@standardtransmission.com
Old 11-04-2006, 05:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotic
Not Ranked     

I have a T-5...cant seem to get the 2-3 shift thing down under wot..is there a shifter that will help me..I love power shifting but get embarrased when I miss a shift with a passenger on board. Just bought this car so am not sure of brand of shifter...
Old 11-04-2006, 08:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I doubt it's the shifter, could well be the clutch is not releasing fully due to centrifugal forces. Some clutch pressure plates have this problem more than others due to their design.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters; 351w, Crane Cam, AFR 185's
Not Ranked     

Hey Jimi!

How much of a chore is it to replace the 5th gears (.63 to .82) on a T5Z? Any special tools required?

Thanks!
Dwain

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: