Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2009, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Before we go too overboard on bashing Superformance Cobras, I will put mine up against ANY Cobra at any car show except a similair equipped Superformance and will have a very good chance at winning, I would venture to say 49 out of 50 times. I have seen 100 plus Cobras and when it comes to body panel alignment, panel gap consistency, paint and finish, wheel orientation to fenders (the tires dont stick outside the fender wells), dash layout, correct wheelbase, dash instrumentation, windshield frame quality, engine compartment details such as accelerator linkage, not a cable wrapped around the car. I have not found one that is better and only 1 or 2 that were close. I have seen Shelby CSX fiberglass series that looked like crap next to SPF's. I have seen Cobras where the door gap goes from 3/16" to 5/8" from top to bottom.

No I did not crawl under the other cars and check their fastners!!! LOL SPF has some very simple issues that cost nothing to solve. I have no doubt this type of post will quickly go away and everyone will win, SPF will sell continue to sell cars and future owners will benefit from the feedback SPF has gotten.

I have owned other replicas and was not critical of them, but Superformance has the reputation as being the best so I am that much more critical of them.

My SPF side pipes never leaked, my spf rearend never leaked, my spf emergency brake works, my spf never broke its windsheild go over some rail road tracks, my spf steering wheel does not dance like a cat on a hot tin roof at highway speeds, my spf doors and truck panels do not rattle and devleop rub marks all over the body, my spf coil springs are set at the same height, not one adjusted 1.5" more to get the car to set level.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
My SPF side pipes never leaked, my spf rearend never leaked, my spf emergency brake works, my spf never broke its windsheild go over some rail road tracks, my spf steering wheel does not dance like a cat on a hot tin roof at highway speeds, my spf doors and truck panels do not rattle and devleop rub marks all over the body, my spf coil springs are set at the same height, not one adjusted 1.5" more to get the car to set level.
You must be the "exception that proves the rule." The fact that your car has not experienced those problems is little solace to your brethren that have been plagued with them.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have owned and looked at many cobras prior to buying a SPF, I would have no reservations buying another. I have yet to ride in another cobra, only driven about 6 different makes and none were comparable to SPF as far as giving a confident and solid ride. I have driven 5 different SPF's and the consistency was there from car to car. It is the only cobra I know of that could be a dailey drive if one desired.

I have yet to drive an ERA and can not seam to find an answer to the question, what is the difference in price of a turnkey minus ERA and turnkey minus SPF?

Proof is in the pudding if I did not like my SPF it would have been sold years ago. I have had other cobras as little as 4 months.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
I have yet to drive an ERA and can not seam to find an answer to the question, what is the difference in price of a turnkey minus ERA and turnkey minus SPF?
I honestly don't know, but I bet Mr. Mustang does -- he's pretty sharp on stuff like that. It's been a few years now since I spec'd out my car, and, when I did, everything could be customized in so many different ways that I think that even if you found a basic price sheet it wouldn't be all that reliable. If you have ERA build your car for you they build it exactly how you want it, not to some basic "template turnkey Cobra spec."
Old 11-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The most recent ERA or SPF thread was summed up nicely by REAL1. And I say that because he owns neither (a past owner of an ERA, tho). With all his faults, Evan does know his Cobras. Here it is:

Last edited by patrickt; 11-08-2016 at 11:50 AM..
Old 11-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VSE alum. frame, FFR carbonfiber body (under construction)
Not Ranked     

To help lighten the mood....
The title of this thread reminded me of a very funny (if you like "Bob and Ray" type humor) (and are old enough to know who Bob and Ray are)...piece..."The Front Fell Off"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15ef8uNzqR8

Enjoy and then back to the squabbling!
Old 11-26-2009, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

After reading through all these posts about improperly tightened nuts and bolts, I didn't see anyone's comments that appeared to be really pi--ed off about less than acceptible assembly on some premium priced, factory produced cars. Why is that? What ever happened to expecting, demanding, and receiving what was paid for? I don't know, but I really doubt that any of SPF's sales brochures mention that the new owner should be sure to check the work done by their factory.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Pretty good NIP, remembering great oldies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVkZZsS-66c
Old 11-27-2009, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ok, I would bet an ERA cost about $15K? more than a SPF SPF has a nationwide network, I have a dealer 60 miles from my location I think ERA is in the North East. Now we are back to the same discussion is SPF worth $10K more than a BDR.

Now I am way off topic. I will say this to anyone if you buy a Cobra be it an original, ERA, SPF, Factory Five, and are not a competent shade tree mechanic you are in for a long hard haul they all have sheet falling off them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
The most recent ERA or SPF thread was summed up nicely by REAL1. And I say that because he owns neither (a past owner of an ERA, tho). With all his faults, Evan does know his Cobras. Here it is:

Old 11-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

So we are to belive ERA is the best because a guy who no longer owns one says so. Superformance is a fine cobra, I trust before you start ranting about the problems people have with them you check to actually find out who is doing the complaining. It appears to be small stuff, but whenever it is a big thing it seems to be the same car and owner. Just maybe he got one of the famous Friday cars. I have never owned an ERA but I have owned 3 superformances and one factory five. This does not make me an expert , just someone who has owned two differant brands. I will give it to Evan though, he now owns the best.
my $.02...............

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 11-27-2009, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey, hey hey, I never said ERA was the best, I said SPF is the best design of all the cobras I have seen (there was a Kirkham but something about it turned me off, a little to raw), I have not seen an ERA and have no desire too.

Bottom line is they are all REPLICAS, as far as value they are all fakes, thank goodness, i could never afford a Real one.

Bottom line check you nuts and bolts, put on some sweat pants, coat, hat and go for ride!!!!
Old 11-27-2009, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I still think that there is a responsibility to make sure no one is hurt in these vehicles, and if that means to take a few hours every year and crawl around to check everything over, then so be it. If you can't do it yourself, then it should be done by a trusted mechanic. And it should go without saying that the factory has the same responsibility to ensure the cars are safe when they leave the factory, and after a shakedown of a couple hundred miles, I would expect to have to look everything over. If that is too much responsibility, then buy a Porsche.