Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 10:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default looking into superfomance

Don't have time not want the headache of building a car,so looking into the rollers: superformance or backdraft? I've seen both and like both. And, how would track time be with these cars?. Any info will be helpful. Thanks
Old 04-13-2010, 12:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Buy a superformance. -- you can track it up. wheels, tires ,swaybars.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 04-13-2010, 04:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

Superformance cars are excellent driving cars. I wanted a car to Drive as I don't do car shows and whatknot. Every time I get in that car I have a Blast!
They hold up well also. The only problems I have ever had with the car were non Spf related parts. Minor stuff.
There is one gentleman on here with 140,000 miles on his!
Old 04-13-2010, 04:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

You can't go wrong with Superformance. I love mine. You will love it.

That said, Backdraft owners are happy with their cars too. If you are able, take a real close look at the differences between them. They are not the same. You will figure out which is the right one for you.

Have fun!!

Jack
Old 04-13-2010, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1358 Silver/Black stripes 466 2X4
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakjack View Post
That said, Backdraft owners are happy with their cars too. If you are able, take a real close look at the differences between them. They are not the same. You will figure out which is the right one for you.
I agree...besides a visual inspection if your not able to drive both, then at least sit in both makes...and you'll know which is right for you.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1694, Royal Blue w/Vintage White Stripes, Roush 402R motor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by soc#427 View Post
Don't have time not want the headache of building a car,so looking into the rollers: superformance or backdraft? I've seen both and like both. And, how would track time be with these cars?. Any info will be helpful. Thanks
I narrowed it down to the same two choices when I was looking (I didn't want the headache of building either). I don't know what area of the country you are from but www.cobracountry.com was the site I surfed for years and ended up finding my car in the Chicago-area. Don't know if you are looking new or used but (if used) expect to probably pay around high $30's/low 40's for a BDR and high $40's/low 50's for an SPF. Although most will tell you no Shelby looks the same, I felt the "fit and finish" of the SPF (for the money) was the way to go and best exemplified the look of an original. My best (personal) advise is pick whatever car/replica that everytime you get in it you are happy with it. Good Luck.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:23 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Depending on your budget, you cannot go wrong with a SPF. As stated above, BDR members (most of them) appear to be quite happy with their choices as well. Although, I do notice a larger turnover of new BDR's vs SPF's,not quite sure as to why though, but it is worth mentioning just the same. Bottom line, buy what you like, and what you can afford, then enjoy the ride.......................

Yours In Fords,

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 04-13-2010, 04:48 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you want to track and enjoy the street, the Backdraft will be your better choice. BMW suspension handles on the track very well. Our cars do well on the track and street straight from the dealers. If you want a track Cup Car we have those as well. All out track car.

SPF's are great cars too, I enjoy working on them as well as our cars. You really can't go wrong with either one.

Bill

www.gcperf.com
Old 04-13-2010, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Here are some Superformance cars to consider:

http://superformance.org/forsale/

Jack
Old 04-13-2010, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

You really need to look at both, as they are quite different close up. I think you will find most owners of either are happy with their choice. My shop works on both. If you get a chance, look at them in the air, so you can see the different chassis and how they are laid out.

My friend Don had his Backdraft in our shop yesterday, and I happened to take a couple of photos of his Red Backdraft next to my Blue Superformance. You can see the difference in body design both front and rear.

Drive them both. Look at them closely. Compare the standard equipment/options between the two. You will see and feel the difference, which will help you see what's best for you.
I like the Backdraft, but I love my Superformance!
Jim
Old 04-13-2010, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 428 FE
Not Ranked     
Default Choices

I was looking for street and track performance when I bought my Cobra. After considering those who offered turn key cars, I decided on Superformance. My car has 14,000 + miles, best choice I could have made. I have enjoyed quite a few track days, never being trailered. Simply remove the top and side curtains from the trunk, adjust the tire pressure, put on a helmet and you are track ready. These cars are incredible as set up from the factory. At the end of the day, load back up the trunk, readjust the tire pressure and make the 90 mile trip back home. My best advice is to talk to owners who use their car as you anticipate using your car. Don't be shy about asking them to take you for a ride. A number of very nice Superformance cars are listed here. http://superformance.org/forsale

Rick
Old 04-13-2010, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

I looked at both as well, and likely would've been happy with either. That said, I bought a Backdraft. Not a thing wrong with the Superformance... I just didn't see the point of paying a higher price for things I didn't want to begin with (top, side curtains, etc.). The Superformance is a bit snugger fit... I really enjoy the roomier cockpit of the Backdraft. Ingress/egress is a bit easier.

But you can't go wrong with either... just a matter of refining your "must have" list, & finding the car that suits you best.

Good Luck!
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600
Old 04-14-2010, 03:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys this is great feedback. What about the fit n finish of fiberglass vs an aluminum bodyied car like the kirham or Shelby. And would the spf or bdr be available in aluminum .
Old 04-14-2010, 05:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft / 427sr/tw
Neutral     

I looked at both as well. I decided on a Backdraft mostly due to the stance of the car. In my opinion, it just looks "mean" with the extra width in the rear. Both are excellent choices...Good Luck!

P.S. Get the 427SR/TW (It's Awesome)
Old 04-14-2010, 05:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blittleton View Post
If you want to track and enjoy the street, the Backdraft will be your better choice. BMW suspension handles on the track very well. Our cars do well on the track and street straight from the dealers. If you want a track Cup Car we have those as well. All out track car.

SPF's are great cars too, I enjoy working on them as well as our cars. You really can't go wrong with either one.

Bill

I applaud you Bill for your unbiased input.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:51 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Well since you live in CT you need to come and see us. We can also navigate you through the CT registration process, including taking it through inspection for a fee. I know SPF won't do that

At the very least, visit us and then visit the SPF shop on LI if it is still there?
Old 04-14-2010, 05:52 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kellogg View Post

Jim
Don's car is looking great! That color combo really is gorgeous... they both look good. Glad he found a Cobra buddy out there.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:51 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks guys this is great feedback. What about the fit n finish of fiberglass vs an aluminum bodyied car like the kirham or Shelby. And would the spf or bdr be available in aluminum .
There are significant differences as you step up the ladder of Cobra replicas. You can't compare a high-end aluminum car to a mid-level glass car. If you're comfortable spending six figures, then you need to take a step back and assess the overall picture of what you can buy. I can't say I remember too many posts where the decision came down to a BDR or an aluminum Shelby....
Old 04-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
And would the spf or bdr be available in aluminum .
No. Kirkham or Shelby (which has a Kirkham body) are the only major companies offering aluminum bodies.

As for the BDR versus SPF question, you have loyal customers of both right here on Club Cobra. Both companies are very good at what they do. Different price points and different cars and the pictures posted are evidence of that.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
As for the BDR versus SPF question...
Well it's nice to see you not gratuitously bashing either for a change....