Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
A replica of a 1967 Corvette L88 Convertible. They only made 20.

I'll take two please.
Keep the L88's. I'll take a '69 ZL-1. Only TWO were made.

http://www.rogerscorvette.com/spots/feb98/spot.htm
Old 10-31-2010, 11:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACademic View Post

I wasn't aware that they made any Corvettes after 1967.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I wasn't aware that they made any Corvettes after 1967.
Good one. The mid-years have those classic lines, don't they?
I need to raid every seat cushion in CA so that I can scrape up enough change to buy the new ZR-1.

So GM and SPF either pump up the Grand Sport or it's the Vega. Volt...Vega...same difference.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It is the unveiling of the 1963 Grand Sport Corvette replica. The blue roadster shown in another thread is NOT built by Superformance. It was built by Duntov motors alone. This will be the first one built by Superformance and it is using the original molds. The Duntov car was not built using original molds.

Last edited by n1kon; 10-31-2010 at 08:03 PM..
Old 10-31-2010, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Man!, would I like to have one of these with a Coyote Mod motor in it.

Hersh
Old 10-31-2010, 11:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA, 363 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Please define 'nice.' $30K will buy you a non-numbers matching patchwork of a car that probably requires signficant bodywork and a total resto. Some bargains had for $55-60K, but you're not going to get a numbers matching car with recent resto at that level. Just a simple driver that needs various levels of TLC.

I think Superformance has something here. Just a really tough economy to push forward with ANYTHING.

I beg to differ. I have two frame off restored numbers matching Mid Year Corvettes that i would gladly sell you for around 55-60K and one midyear 66 427 numbers matching, no hit body coupe, that i would gladly take 80K for.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Diecast for now
Not Ranked     

I'd love the Coupe with a LS7
Old 11-01-2010, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoCreations View Post
I beg to differ. I have two frame off restored numbers matching Mid Year Corvettes that i would gladly sell you for around 55-60K and one midyear 66 427 numbers matching, no hit body coupe, that i would gladly take 80K for.
Maybe I ought to send you a PM on those.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Please do if you are interested. I will be glad to send detailed photos of the restorations- 64 coupe daytona blue, 65 convertible-silver with black leather interior, and the 66 427 is mosport green. I performed the frame off restorations on all 3 of the cars and have well over the asking price invested in all of them.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Rumor has it there are more numbers matching Chevy's out there than Chevy ever made.

This is true concerning the amount of big block corvettes. People simply take a date and casting number correct block, have it decked and stamped, and replace the 327 with the 427 that is now numbers matching. However, to the trained eye, it is possible to tell a restamp from an original-mostly due to the broach marks in the block stamp pad. It's important for mid year corvettes to have their protect-o-plates. the protect-o-plates is in the back of the owners protection plan booklet and has a stamp that states which engine the car came with, who the original purchaser was, etc.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT SNAKE View Post
Man!, would I like to have one of these with a Coyote Mod motor in it.

Hersh
Bwahahahahaa ha!

Old 11-01-2010, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
A replica of a 1967 Corvette L88 Convertible. They only made 20.

I'll take two please.

Quote:

In either case, Id just buy a small block '67, '69 driver, and fix it up to an L88 / ZL1, and in the end, you'll still have a real vette, not a fakey, and for probably less money.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 11-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Most cheap Vettes have been beaten on and bent. And the ones that are very nice I wouldn't dare modify or cut up. Certainly not a SB '67. Further, have you checked on the prices of repro Vette parts? Holy smokes.

Also, I would hope that technology has come a long way, and it has, in terms of suspension, body, chassis, geometry, etc. that all the old heavy metal underneath would be long gone and replaced with new modern lighter stuff, say like, um, er, a Kirkham.

Personally, I'm not hung up on owning a fakey doo, although you will find my car is in the SAAC World Registry.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Most cheap Vettes have been beaten on and bent. And the ones that are very nice I wouldn't dare modify or cut up. Certainly not a SB '67. Further, have you checked on the prices of repro Vette parts? Holy smokes.
It's basically only an engine and hood swap. And if you do it to a base engine model, I don't think too many people will care. Maybe put in a radio delete, heater delete, transitorized ignition, but there is not much else I believe, unless you get fanatical about the springs, sway bar, or whatever else was different with the performance packages. I don't think there is anything to cut up. In fact, you may be better off to look for a clone that somebody already has done, as I have seen them myself.

Quote:
Also, I would hope that technology has come a long way, and it has, in terms of suspension, body, chassis, geometry, etc. that all the old heavy metal underneath would be long gone and replaced with new modern lighter stuff, say like, um, er, a Kirkham.
I believe it's also cheaper for them to make and sell you the "upgraded", lighter parts, and yet still charge you the same for the entire package, enhancing / maintaining their profit. Shelby is doing the same.

Quote:
Personally, I'm not hung up on owning a fakey doo, although you will find my car is in the SAAC World Registry.
That's good, because you never know who may want to make a copy of your car. I think that anybody who is not into cobra's, like the majority of car collectors, consider all of our cars fakey doos, and whether or not they're in the registry is a moot selling point.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."

Last edited by Anthony; 11-02-2010 at 02:40 PM..
Old 11-02-2010, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

TI=Troubled Ignition.

The grand sports had a tubular frame as opposed to the boxed frame that the mid years came with from the factory.

Hood, flares, doors handles, windows, oil cooler, rear deck, lights, scoops, side vents, rear end, quarters, gas filler location, and nose were different on the body.
You would be better off just buying one of the kits for around 20-30grand rather than trying to convert a midyear corvette, even if it was a base model. When i initially saw the grand sport on the superformance website, it was advertised at close to a 100 grand. I hope that was for a complete car with drivetrain.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I understand the GS also had a much thinner body (of glass) than the standard production Vette, (to add lightness ).
Old 11-02-2010, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The original grand sports were made from regular 1963 Corvette Coupe bodies. The convertibles came about when they hacked the roofs off of two of coupes later on. Zora Duntov had molds made for the flares and modified the other components. I've noticed that Superformance did not hold true to the original design-no holes in rear taillamp panel, which uses standard 63-67 taillights, the parking lamps are not recesses, no slits in the rear quarters,etc

It would depend on the price, but i think if i were tog to build one currently i would go with mongoose. You can use c5-c6 suspension on their models, which is a huge plus to me. I do not want a transverse rear spring or small u-joint half axles in a sports car with over 400-500hp to the wheels.
http://www.mongoosems.com/GrandSportPhotoGallery.php

Last edited by RestoCreations; 11-02-2010 at 03:21 PM..
Old 11-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The 1963 Grand Sports, while originally looking much like the production coupes, had no body parts in common. The fiberglass body panels were roughly half the thickness of production panels to save weight.
From the Google, for what it's worth...
Old 11-02-2010, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

I owned a 63 covertible small block Vette about 15 years ago. I wish I still owned it because the car is worth alot more now (sold it for 35k with just under 50k miles), but the performance was lacking. It was slow and handled like crap. IMO it would take alot of work and cash to get good performance from a clone using a real one. I would opt for the replica if it were my money.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

I like what these guys do. You can take
an original body and put on it or a replica body.
Then you can make it into a Grand Sport. The
late model stuff makes it the best handler.

http://www.sriiimotorsports.com/196382corvette.html

Hersh