Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Your thoughts on this used Cobra

Hi, I've been lurking for a while now, here and on other sites, and am finally "coming out." I'm considering the purchase of this used SPF Cobra and am hoping to get a few opinions as to pricing.

Here are a few particulars on the car:

The Chassis data plate is affixed near the cowling, on the right side in the engine compartment, and reads: "Distributed by Superformance Inc., Cincinnati OH, USA. Chassis number is K1395AM1051.

Does that mean it's the 51st chassis produced?

It's clearly an older car. Has what appear to be Ford calipers up front (I think they're Ford, there's an oval logo that looks like the Ford logo but doesn't quite seem to read 'Ford' on close inspection) and a Thunderbird SC rear end. No foot box vents, black roll bar, no glove box. 15" knock off wheels, safety wired.

Coilover dampers are yellow in color.

Engine is a 351W with Holley throttle body fuel injection and a high pressure fuel system, MSD ignition. Bored to 390 CI. I've driven the car and it runs well, engine starts easily hot or cold and temps seem to be stable. Trans is Tremec 5-speed, shifts well in all gears and clutch doesn't grab or chatter. No clunking or other oddness from the rear end. Owner is deceased and specifics on the engine are a mystery to everyone involved.

Car has been sitting four years but fluids flushed including gas tank, and it runs well now on pump gas.

Car does not have the upgraded rear coilover mounts, which I pointed out to the seller.

Had it up on a rack, a bit of seepage at rear main seal, other than that no evidence of leaks. Rubber parts and bushings seem in good shape. Chassis clean overall, not freshly cleaned clean but consistent with mileage clean (3,500).

Have not done a compression check.

Body good overall, doors, hood, trunk fit well and close correctly, no paint overspray noticed although owner says right rear fender was re-sprayed to fix a large scratch. Good match, hard pressed to tell. Few chips up front but overall paint seems very good.

Owner wants $45,000 but I feel he's a few thousand too high (isn't that always the way it goes?)

Does anyone have any thoughts on the pricing? Most worried about the age of the chassis.

Thank you!!

Last edited by Flygirl; 09-22-2011 at 10:46 AM..
Old 09-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

It's chassis 1051, not 51, so it's newer than you were thinking. Mine is a 1999, and chassis number 532.

With only 3500 miles, it's a low mileage car.

If a person does not belong to SCOF, or visits any of the Cobra sites, they will probably be totally unaware of the rear shock mount issue. It's a cheap easy fix, so I would not worry about it being a deal breaker.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

I think is a 1995 built and chassis 051. later models had Wilwood brakes and not the Ford Granada brakes.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

The chassis number will be written on other parts to verify. Look at the hinges (hood, door and trunk). Also, it might be stamped on the front cross member. I have car #1019 and it has foot box vents, so I'm leaning towards #51, not #1051. Price is way high by like $10k in my opinion for such an old car being in storage for so long.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Is this the car: Downtown Ford in Sacramento?

This car has been on Cobra Country a few times. The black roll bar would suggest it's an early car, but I could never quite verify the chassis number. Both SP00051 and SP01051 seem to be different in colour and engine, based on my Superformance owner registry. I'll have another look when I get home...

Isn't the chassis number stamped on the front suspension crossmember? You should be able to see it with the hood open.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

I brokered a similar SPF this summer that was a bit newer but had a lot more miles. I agree with the poster that said the price is about $10k to high for the age and sitting of the car.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If its 1051 car is worth low 40's, if it is car 51 then 38-40K. Remember a new roller without engine and trans is $45K!!!
Old 09-22-2011, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Please see my post in your other thread...I believe car 1051 is in Belgium..Black with no stripe..This car silver with a black stripe...

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net

Last edited by Blas; 09-22-2011 at 01:27 PM..
Old 09-22-2011, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

I can't comment on SPF values but I know that there are some really nice "no-apologies-required" big block FE-powered cars with immaculate pedigrees and full paperwork out their for sale for that money, some even a little less. Of all the cars you ever buy, a Cobra is worth a plane ticket and paying a shipper in order to have more choices than just local cars.

Just my 2 cents......

p.s. PM me if you want a lead on one in particular.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Flygirl, you might want to check out my thread about used SPF Cobra "values" (asking prices, really).
Old 09-22-2011, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Although SPS's are a great car, I feel most owners selling are priced way too high. They seem to have the "name factor" going right now. I viewed one that's asking $71,000.

A while back, a Kirkham went for just above that price.

Depending on drive train, 40-55k is about right.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

Low 30s if no major flaws.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

What does the title say?
Old 09-22-2011, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDude View Post
...The black roll bar would suggest it's an early car, but I could never quite verify the chassis number. Both SP00051 and SP01051 seem to be different in colour and engine, based on my Superformance owner registry. I'll have another look when I get home...
My mistake. I just checked my registry and SP00051 is silver with black stripes. It's most likely this car, although it has moved states (from OH to CA).
Old 09-22-2011, 09:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDude View Post
Is this the car: Downtown Ford in Sacramento?

This car has been on Cobra Country a few times. The black roll bar would suggest it's an early car, but I could never quite verify the chassis number. Both SP00051 and SP01051 seem to be different in colour and engine, based on my Superformance owner registry. I'll have another look when I get home...

Isn't the chassis number stamped on the front suspension crossmember? You should be able to see it with the hood open.
Yes, that's the car. Chassis number is stamped on the front crossmember as well, same as on the data plate: K1395AM1051.

Owner indicates that the induction system is new and they replaced a synchro in the trans (it shifts well), but I'm in agreement with some other posters. The price seems a bit high.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Flygirl, if the car is in CA, then you want to be sure that it is titled as a "Specially Constructed Vehicle" and not as a "1965 Cobra" (or any other car with a 196x vintage title).

If you're not in CA, then please ignore...

Many cars before 2001 could not be titled properly in CA using a newer block (like a 351w), so titles were "acquired" through various means - these cars are difficult to pass title from one owner to the next. Do a search on "SB100"...

Hope this helps,
Randy...
Old 09-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Never mind... I found on the CA BAR database that this car is an SPCN with SB100 smog exemption, so this is all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Rosenberg View Post
Flygirl, if the car is in CA, then you want to be sure that it is titled as a "Specially Constructed Vehicle" and not as a "1965 Cobra" (or any other car with a 196x vintage title).

If you're not in CA, then please ignore...

Many cars before 2001 could not be titled properly in CA using a newer block (like a 351w), so titles were "acquired" through various means - these cars are difficult to pass title from one owner to the next. Do a search on "SB100"...

Hope this helps,
Randy...
Old 09-22-2011, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yes, SB-100, correct. I did see the VIN sticker but didn't see the BAR sticker, although the owner, who also owns the Ford dealership, assures me it's all on the up and up. I checked door jambs, under the hood, on the cowling, and around the engine compartment. The VIN sticker did have a bar code on it, is that all there is, that one?

And here I thought I knew all about this stuff, at least theoretically...

And you're right about the title. Apparently there were some serious issues with the DMV repossessing the original title and the car sat for years, untitled in CA. The SB-100 process was fairly recently completed, it sounds like.

Last edited by Flygirl; 09-22-2011 at 09:42 PM..
Old 09-22-2011, 09:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Rosenberg View Post
The chassis number will be written on other parts to verify. Look at the hinges (hood, door and trunk). Also, it might be stamped on the front cross member. I have car #1019 and it has foot box vents, so I'm leaning towards #51, not #1051. Price is way high by like $10k in my opinion for such an old car being in storage for so long.
Randy, may I ask, why do you think that its being in storage so long is a bad thing, necessarily?

Not being argumentative (my gut tells me that I agree with you), but I'm curious about the rationale behind that thinking.

I know that piston engines don't necessarily do well when they're stored for years, rusty cylinders and such I'm told. And the brake fluid, having an affinity for water, can rust out the system from the inside. Is that what you're thinking?

Is there anything intrinsically inferior about these very early build cars?

The brakes seem inferior to the Wilwoods, and the rear end too, but how about the chassis? I fit fine so that's not an issue, but still...a 16 year old car for goodness sake.

I wish I could convince the owner that it's only worth in the 30s. I'm looking for a more inexpensive car that's already imperfect, so I can drive it regularly and not worry about the first stone chip or scratch.
Attached Images

Last edited by Flygirl; 09-22-2011 at 10:18 PM..
Old 09-22-2011, 10:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

And a few more.
Attached Images