Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Metal-morphous,

Thanks for sharing the awesome picture and your thoughts. I hope to be just like you one day!!!

Chris
Old 06-21-2013, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bernica, thanks a lot for Dr. Hal's article link! It was such a cool and funny story. I'm looking forward to one day soon being able to relate to his story just like you and the other Cobra owners do...

Chris
Old 06-21-2013, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Going to Olthoff and test driving a car is an excellent idea. Maybe he'll also have a 289 car to try on, for street driving you'll probably find it more peaceful

Good luck finding a high performance driving school with Cobras of any kind. The closest you'll probably come to are the Formula Mazda (open wheel, light wicked fast little cars) at the Bondurant school in Chandler, AZ. I drove one in my class and will do a 2-day with them next spring.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Driving the Cobra and the related enjoyment is a once in a life time experience. If your desires are influenced by the positives and accepting any negatives without question, enjoy your life and dream.

No doubt, the side pipes sound great, but after longer than around town type driving, might just be annoying and the thrill diminishes. Same for the stiff ride, no top, cramped quarters, stuck in traffic with high heat/sun, a sudden rain storm that was not predicted, etc. But those were the conditions accepted in advance.

In my case, the Z06 and Cobra serve two entirely different experiences and purposes, both enjoyable.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank Tony! I'll keep that in mind when trying to find the best place to take some real lessons. I'm really looking forward to meeting Dennis Olthoff I know he and his Dad basically wrote the book on SPF's. Thanks again...

Cheers!
Chris
Old 06-23-2013, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

All good points Don. Mentally I've excepted all the negatives in addition to visualizing the positives about my dream car. When I finally visit Dennis Olthoff Racing and take a test drive, I think I'll really be able to see what I'm actually getting into prior to ordering my SPF. Thanks again for your thoughts....

Cheers!
Chris
Old 06-30-2013, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPO2820 408W; former ERA CCX 3-3408 owner
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra's aren't for *****'s.....

Chris: I think you will be very pleased with a Superformance. The build quality is truly outstanding. I purchased my roller from Dennis Olthoff back in 2009, even though Lance Stander is virtually in my back yard, as Dennis made me a deal I couldn't refuse.

Make no mistake about it, Cobra's aren't for *****'s. But then again NOTHING ELSE COMPARES. I've owned, restored, or rebuilt well over 90 different cars and this one is the first one I'm keeping till my son steals the keys off my deathbed nightstand!!
Old 06-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Braggin' View Post
Hello decooney:

I posted here because I've decided to go with Superformace as the company I'm most comfortable with to build my rolling chasis. Of all the replica builders, I just think they're the best fit for me. So, I figured I'd get input from the SPF community as to why I see so many of them for sale so quickly.... Thanks for your thoughts as well.

Cheers!
Cobra Man For Life!!!

You've come to a great place for input and support. I think some people always wanted one while others just want to try it and see how it is to own and drive one. Another factor has to do with weather and where you get to drive it, and how often one actually gets to drive it. Situations vary. Good luck, have fun. SPF makes a great car.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

I met a guy today that had his Kirkham Cobra at the Palo Alto Concours. He said it's 7 years old and he drives it to work. The car has more than 100k miles. He is selling it, but only because he has a number of cars and is running out of room. Since I'm building a Cobra but haven't spent much time in one, this was a good data point that these cars are useable - especially in NorCal where you rarely if ever need to worry about unpredictable weather.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
I met a guy today that had his Kirkham Cobra at the Palo Alto Concours. He said it's 7 years old and he drives it to work. The car has more than 100k miles. He is selling it, but only because he has a number of cars and is running out of room. Since I'm building a Cobra but haven't spent much time in one, this was a good data point that these cars are useable - especially in NorCal where you rarely if ever need to worry about unpredictable weather.
Just finished dinner and It's 6:30pm on this June 30th summer evening in NorCal, and a predictable 104 degrees right now. Darn, gonna have to pass on the after-dinner drive this evening. Ugh.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

It was shown on Myth busters once, that if you drive fast enough in the rain, you won't get wet. has anyone experienced this in their Cobra?
JD
Old 07-01-2013, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR SLC, Graziano 6-spd, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Going to Olthoff and test driving a car is an excellent idea. Maybe he'll also have a 289 car to try on, for street driving you'll probably find it more peaceful

Good luck finding a high performance driving school with Cobras of any kind. The closest you'll probably come to are the Formula Mazda (open wheel, light wicked fast little cars) at the Bondurant school in Chandler, AZ. I drove one in my class and will do a 2-day with them next spring.
Mid Ohio Driving School does a two day school every year for the Ohio Cobra Club.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
It was shown on Myth busters once, that if you drive fast enough in the rain, you won't get wet. has anyone experienced this in their Cobra? JD
This works in my Miata which is far more aerodynamic than my Cobra.

But in the Cobra you just get wet.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Driving a Cobra 'fast' in the rain makes it an off-road vehicle.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Driving a Cobra 'fast' in the rain makes it an off-road vehicle.
For those curious about driving your Cobra fast in the rain, may you rest in peace.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
It was shown on Myth busters once, that if you drive fast enough in the rain, you won't get wet. has anyone experienced this in their Cobra?
JD
Well, I'll answer from experience. It is true to a degree that the windshield, especially with the help of the top and side visors will provide significant reduction in what rain comes into the car.

The doors are another question. Rain comes around the bottom of the windshield and gets into the channel and drips on your lap or feet.

Some rain also comes down the inside of the windshield so carry a rag. That same rain will also cause fog on the inside. I had a defroster in mine that helped but wasn't a total solution.

Around here, such rain is also accompanied by hail. Keep your tonneau cover in the front seat with you so you can stop and duck under it.

Moving will NOT keep rain splashed up by cars on your left or right sides from getting you wet. It comes from the side so you will get splashed some by passing cars (or when passing cars).

And when you slow down or stop at a stop light be prepared.

I kept some towels behind the seat for such emergencies. I never deliberately took the Cobra for a drive in the rain but around here storms can develop in a matter of minutes, drop buckets for 10 or 15 minutes and clear up.

Also be careful with what tires... Hydroplaning is possible with some. I had Goodyears which were pretty good.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSB View Post
Mid Ohio Driving School does a two day school every year for the Ohio Cobra Club.
But that's probably for your own car. Finding a school with a livery of Cobras for people who show up on Monday morning is going to be difficult.

The Bondurant school will let you drive your own car in the advanced classes depending on which class (won't mix others with the Formula Mazdas) and only recommend doing it for 1/2 day so you don't go through a whole set of tires. I was going to take my FGT but the weather was awful so I drove their Corvettes. Next class will be the Formula Mazdas. Just so much fun.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had an unexpected rain experience I'll never forget. Very similar experience to Tony.

15 minutes away from home on a sunny day, in an instant it became a deluge. Only way home was a 70mph parkway with no underpasses to hide under.

Rain comes around the windshield sides over top, down the inside of w'shield, and your ass is immediately in a -literally-bucket of water.

The terror comes when having to merge onto traffic going 70 (no problem in street cars) and have zero traction to accelerate in with them. Sideways at the hint of throttle, I almost ran out of room in the merge lane except for some kind soul who was exiting and let me in. I was more soaked from sweat than rain.

Then tramlining on the BB's in channels of water in the lanes. And being passed by Hyundais with no traction problems.

Funny, I learned that major water into the scoop and the sealed air pan is absolutely no problem-except for the engine bay mess.

For a week, I was drying the carpets with a heat gun and polishing magnesium...
Jaydee likes this.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
I had an unexpected rain experience I'll never forget..
I carry my soft top in the trunk, but it takes me about 15 minutes to put the thing up. In a rain storm, I would probably just give up. Soooo, I carry a canvas tarp in a zip lock bag that is big enough to cover me and the open cockpit, while stopped, of course. I have never had to use it -- but it would do the trick in a pinch, and you just wait the storm out from underneath the tarp.
Jaydee likes this.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
JD
I have found that in a standard rain storm with normal size drops, rain will blow right over the top of the cobra if you are moving faster than about 40mph. Not a myth.

HOWEVER, some exceptions:

- Deluge-style thunderstorms with huge drops don't all blow over

- Water will land on the back of the car and roll back down into the cockpit. Doesn't get you wet, but gets carpet wet

- Lay the visor horizontal or rain hits it and drops on the dash

- Water will come up from the front wheels and in around the door seals (which aren't great, at least on my car - if it was a regular occurrence, I'd probably play with better weather stripping)

- Some water will come around the windshield and drip onto your leg

- You better hope there aren't any lights or stop signs....

- The look on people's faces when you go by in a rainstorm in a cobra with no top is priceless.

I also carry a car cover and a tonneau (not one you can drive with) if I'll be out and might want to cover the car during a rain storm

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)