Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 427SO
Not Ranked     
Default Help With SPF Dash Removal

Good Evening,

I recently purchased a used SPF car that needs a little TLC. I need to drop the dash enough to work on a couple of gauges and clean up a couple of things that were done by the previous owner. I was hoping to tap into the braintrust of this forum before I go tearing into the dash. I only see three attachment points for the dash but it appears that the drivers side can not be lowered as the steering colum is tight against the top of the opening in the dash. Are there any tricks you guys know of to dropping the dash to gain access to the back side ?

Appreciate any input. Thank you.

Ted
Old 06-29-2013, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Feel free to drop me an email with your contact info. I'll be happy to help you out. Replacing a gauge does not necessarily require removing the dash. Depending on the year of the chassis, you might be better off not removing it.... My contact info is below. Or just PM me here offline.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 06-30-2013, 02:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

Removing seats will make rear panel access much easier.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD-SPO2660, Southern Automotive 406FE, TKO-600
Not Ranked     

I agree with Blas, you may not have to remove the dash. I have done work on mine including replacing the fuel sensing line. If by any chance you have a glove box, removing it really helps and it was an easy remove.

Have fun and enjoy life, because when it is over, it is too late!
Old 06-30-2013, 11:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Try to find a ASE trained capuchan service monkey, because there ain't much room back there.

I've replaced a gauge and routed a new oil pressure line...fun stuff.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 06-30-2013, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Remove the tach and/or the speedo (both easier to get to) and you'll be amazed how much room you have to work with through those holes. I have gorilla hands, too, so if I can do it anyone can. It's tight under there but doable. Pull the steering wheel and the seats if you must (to contort easier). Pulling the dash is a PITA.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gentlemen,

Thanks to all who replied. I worked on it a little today but didn't pull the spedo/tach/glovebox yet. I will try that sometime this week. It sounds like that should make replacement of the oil pressure gauge a little easier.

I appreciate all the help.

Ted
Old 07-08-2013, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra Chassis #408, 427FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

I just did my water temp and speedo gauges the other day and it was pretty straightforward, and I did not have to remove the dash. The gauges are held in with thumb screws on the brackets...so if you can get your hand up there they come out pretty quickly. I think both gauges took about 30 minutes to install, including fishing the sensor end through the firewall for the temp gauge.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     

I replaced the nylon oil line with a braided one last year. Removal of the speedo provides more access room and makes the job much easier.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 239
Not Ranked     

Hey Ted,
If you scare or become overwhelmed easily this is not a job you want to tackle!! I have done this many times, It is doable but it is a full blow pain IN THE BUTT!
Yes there are three carriage bolts on the face of the dash and two trans tunnel struts. You will also have to remove the steering wheel and turn signal housing. Be aware, some of the wires are not long enough to remove the dash and stay connected, so you will need to be able to decipher what has happened!
The end bolt are not terrible, the center bolt it difficult. Like Mr. Academic stated, the best option it to remove the speedo, and two end gauges so you have some room to work.
Also you will need to flex the dash quite a bit to get it in and out. I found it best to put the drivers side in first, then the passenger. Flexing the driver side too much can crack the fiberglass.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-CEL View Post
Hey Ted,
If you scare or become overwhelmed easily this is not a job you want to tackle!!
D-CEL,

Well, I wouldn't say I scare easily for this type of job, but I don't hate myself either I think your description of the task and your picture is enough to convince me that I certainly should attempt the job via gauge and glove box removal first. Thanks a lot for taking the time to give a good description of the work and the photo.

Ted
Old 08-19-2013, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE #2258 402 S/R -ROUSH
Not Ranked     
Default Radiator cap ?

Hi Guys what the pressure on stock cap for a Superformance car with a 402 CID.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

13# would be the starting point.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/