Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 10:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

Stunning!!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 289 Street
Not Ranked     

Here's some drive train details. The engine is a Ford Racing Boss 302 hydraulic roller crate, forged internals with aluminum GT-40X heads. Intake is Blue Thunder hi-rise dual plane repop with a Holley 600 classic carb. Transmission is Tremec TKO 600. Rear diff is aluminum Salisbury with 3.73 gears.

I'll post more detail pics when I can schmooze LMH on some help : )
Old 07-14-2014, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     

suh weeeet
Old 07-14-2014, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Viking Blue "64" 289 FIA comp car by Superformance #0002, Keith Craft - 331 (460HP), Jim Inglese - 48IDA Weber carbs, BW T10 4spd.
Not Ranked     

Beautiful little 289... great color too. Interesting it ended up with a 3:73 gear.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I remember reading that the original 289 CSX cars started out with 3.54 rear ends, and Shelby decided the final ratio was a little high..as apparently most customers would have traded some of the 150 or so top end for more 'step' out of the hole. They went to 3.73 or so.

I figured that would work for me with the Tremec M-7003 R58H. It has a 2.87 1st, and a 0.68 5th. With a 26" tall tire, I'd have the best of both worlds. So far, so good
Old 07-14-2014, 10:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here's some more pics! The reproduction of the windscreen sprayer button is the best part!
Larry

mate, acinider and Riverside racer like this.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Some of the engine mounts and frame:

mate and Riverside racer like this.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Fuel Filler Cap:

mate likes this.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for posting, Larry : D

I somewhat 'corrected' the instrument panel with period Falcon knobs, headlight switch, etc. I had the alternator light bezel, and washer switch bezel machined from brass, then chrome plated. After ditching the OE SPF Lucas-style switches, I reshuffled the gauges to the correct stack, added a proper ignition switch in the right location and rewired the turn indicator lamps and correct high beam lamp.

Speaking of wiring, a huge thanks to Blas Costagli. His schematic and factory insight on certain areas were a HUGE help. I wouldn't waste time working on any SPF electrical system without one of his masters.

Next pics are the install of Lucas washer jets and period pump..good for blasting off the oversize Arizona bugs.

Next pics are of 2 different types of motor mounts that can be used. First pic is the OE-type HiPo mounts and bracket from Cobra Restorers. Next pic is the SPF saddle and Mustang mount. These are about 3/8" taller than the HiPo type mount. I ran with the OE type mounts, which helped me later with air cleaner hood clearance.

Ross Henry was instrumental in getting Spax to do a run of 28-way adjustable shocks for these cars. Great upgrade from the previous supplied shock, and Koni orange to boot.

I wanted to switch the gas cap assembly over to the OE cap, but didn't want to give up the internal locking cap feature that came with the SPF cap. Nick Acton graciously machined up the nice aluminum neck for the Ceandress cap, and we welded in a small ring for the SPF locking cap to engage and seal.
mate likes this.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC cox 2699 roadster Riverside FIA RSR2001
Not Ranked     

Good one Jeff ,
I thoroughly enjoyed working with you and would like to thank you for taking the trouble of taking detailed pics of whatever was been discussed and then allowing me to use them in the manual for these cars.
Wonderful workmanship and now an absolute pleasure to behold.
Thank you also for the button and windscreen sprayer jets....Great find. I am so thrilled to have them on my car.
looking at your tach pic (showing 1000rpm) reminded me to warn installers who use the likes of MSD ignitions, to follow their instructions of what is reqd. when installing a tach.
Ross
Old 07-15-2014, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

I have added a note on the Wiring Diagrams for the MKII Street and FIA cars and also on the Wiring Diagrams for the CSX7000 and 8000 cars regarding this tach adapter issue. I'll also add a note in all the owner's manuals for both the MKII's and CSX cars regarding this.... Don't think it requires an additional service bulletin since it is not a "roller" related issue. All owners can contact me for a part number if necessary.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 07-15-2014, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside racer View Post
Good one Jeff ,
I thoroughly enjoyed working with you and would like to thank you for taking the trouble of taking detailed pics of whatever was been discussed and then allowing me to use them in the manual for these cars.
Wonderful workmanship and now an absolute pleasure to behold.
Thank you also for the button and windscreen sprayer jets....Great find. I am so thrilled to have them on my car.
looking at your tach pic (showing 1000rpm) reminded me to warn installers who use the likes of MSD ignitions, to follow their instructions of what is reqd. when installing a tach.
Ross
Ross, the pleasure was mine : D Thanks for taking the time to make sure the completion was successful and as accurate as possible. You're welcome on the parts, the very least I can do for your guidance.

Funny thing on the tach. It read 1,100 rpm before I ever put a battery or engine in the car. On start up, it stayed that way. I have a replacement inbound. Yep, MSD ignitions need an electronic 'adapter', available from them. The adapter model varies on your tach manufacturer.

Guys, Ross and Blas put together one of the most detailed and complete manuals I've seen. When I purchased the car, I asked for the book and got blank stares. I was told Ross was my 'manual'. After I got the car home, Ross and Blas went to work. Each book is serialized to you, and will even get a cover photo of your car if you choose. Nice touch.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Is this the manual?
Larry

Old 07-15-2014, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, Larry! Yep, that's the one-
Old 07-15-2014, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKIII, SPO2891, SPO1649
Not Ranked     
Default Beautiful

Absolutely, absolutely beautiful. Great job, and what a great product from Superformance. Premium brand.

I'm in love all over again. Meaning? I'm in trouble, it starts all over again. I thought I loved SPO2891, well...
TN Shelby Cobra likes this.

2432 Crittenden Drive, Suite 201
Louisville, KY 40217
http://www.kentuckycobraclub.com
juan@lbrdesign.com
502-558-2904
Old 07-16-2014, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyman View Post
Absolutely, absolutely beautiful. Great job, and what a great product from Superformance. Premium brand.

I'm in love all over again. Meaning? I'm in trouble, it starts all over again. I thought I loved SPO2891, well...
Thanks, Froggy The 289 is a very pretty form. Clean, sweet lines..really easy to look at. A real treat to drive as well. I can see your dilemma!
Old 07-17-2014, 02:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Beautiful car!
Old 10-29-2014, 03:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DB427, 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Hi Armrer,

Have just seen this thread as I'm doing some research and currently "chatting" with Ross about a possible build.
You have a stunning car there & would like to ask what colour it is ... Corinthian White by any chance ... or something really close.
Dont worry though I'm from the UK & if I decide to go this route you'll still possibly have the only one that colour in the US :-)
Cheers Dale
Old 10-29-2014, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Neutral     

Spectacular car!
Old 10-29-2014, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale B View Post
Hi Armrer,

Have just seen this thread as I'm doing some research and currently "chatting" with Ross about a possible build.
You have a stunning car there & would like to ask what colour it is ... Corinthian White by any chance ... or something really close.
Dont worry though I'm from the UK & if I decide to go this route you'll still possibly have the only one that colour in the US :-)
Cheers Dale
Dale B-

Thank you very much for the compliments. The color is Ford Wimbleton White. Same white that SA used on their racing stripes on the Daytonas, GT-350s, etc. Ford used it all through the 60's on passenger cars, trucks.

It's an available SPF color, and I bought some Ford touch up paint to see if it matched..it does

I get a LOT of comments on the paint, so I think you'll do well with it in the UK. I absolutely LOVE driving the car, if you step up you won't regret it. Plus you have Ross as a build resource

Cheers!

Jeff