Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2016, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '66 GT350 Tribute
Not Ranked     

Really sharp! Was that fuse cover 3D printed?
Old 03-19-2016, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '66 GT350 Tribute
Not Ranked     

Oh and thanks for the info, Mark!
Old 03-19-2016, 09:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 289 Street
Not Ranked     

Thanks for posting the pix, Larry. Much appreciated!

The fuse box was placed by SPF in the engine bay for accessibility, but was exposed to water splash, etc. It also looked, well.. pretty raw. Sooo, we whipped up a 'period' looking Lucas cover to fit it in SolidWorks, then printed some high resolution glass-filled nylon SLA models. We used Strasys, and they wound up really clean.

After painting them with black krinkle paint (standard issue Brit/Italian electrical part-'60-70s look), they looked just like an injection molded part. After making up simple standoffs to hold the cover, it was finished off with brass thumb nuts to complete the 'look'.

What do you guys think? Mission accomplished?
Riverside racer likes this.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:15 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armrer View Post
Thanks for posting the pix, Larry. Much appreciated!

The fuse box was placed by SPF in the engine bay for accessibility, but was exposed to water splash, etc. It also looked, well.. pretty raw. Sooo, we whipped up a 'period' looking Lucas cover to fit it in SolidWorks, then printed some high resolution glass-filled nylon SLA models. We used Strasys, and they wound up really clean.

After painting them with black krinkle paint (standard issue Brit/Italian electrical part-'60-70s look), they looked just like an injection molded part. After making up simple standoffs to hold the cover, it was finished off with brass thumb nuts to complete the 'look'.

What do you guys think? Mission accomplished?

Very nice! We would like to offer these as an accessory! Is this the "surprise" that Ross is waiting for at my PO box?

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 03-20-2016, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Viking Blue "64" 289 FIA comp car by Superformance #0002, Keith Craft - 331 (460HP), Jim Inglese - 48IDA Weber carbs, BW T10 4spd.
Not Ranked     

Larry,
Thanks again for posting the additional photos. I find them to be well worthwhile as they really show the workmanship involved!

Armrer,
I really appreciate you taking the time share your clever adaptation of the DB10 cover with us. I think it looks great and I am planning to give it go.
As far as the fuse box, you're correct I love it! Not so certain I can pull that one off though.... So, I hope you'll take Mark IV up on his offer but either way it's inspiring - many thanks!

We can tell you're having fun! Ross and the folks at Hi-Tech (SA) have really done a beautiful job with these little 289s and not only on the surface. The original style round-tube chassis and transverse leaf spring suspension is also a work of art - eh?

Anyway, just in case I haven't already said it - Congratulations on a very nice build!

LMH and Riverside racer like this.

Last edited by LightNFast; 03-20-2016 at 05:53 AM..
Old 03-20-2016, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Very nice! We would like to offer these as an accessory! Is this the "surprise" that Ross is waiting for at my PO box?
Glad you like them! Yes, those are the items at your PO Box.

OK, OK, in the interest of advancing the popularity of these cars, I'll offer the Lucas fuse panel covers for sale. Until I get sued by Lucas

MK IV, I'd check your PO Box, and examine the 2 standoff assemblies that come with each cover, you will have to make those. They are easy to copy, and it will be more cost effective if you do them vs. paying me to do them. I'll supply the cover (painted) and with qty 2 brass thumb nuts and qty 2, threaded inserts for the fuse block.

I will supply a drawing to make the standoffs, and easy mount instructions for anyone else who would like a cover. They are very durable, and will accept engine bay heat easily without degrading.

The more orders I get, the cheaper the part will be for you all.

PM me over the next week, and at the end of it I'll email you worst case/best case pricing depending on orders taken. Regardless, they are very reasonable. It makes all the work to create them worth it, vs. making just a couple.
LightNFast likes this.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightNFast View Post
Larry,
Thanks again for posting the additional photos. I find them to be well worthwhile as they really show the workmanship involved!

Armrer,
I really appreciate you taking the time share your clever adaptation of the DB10 cover with us. I think it looks great and I am planning to give it go.
As far as the fuse box, you're correct I love it! Not so certain I can pull that one off though.... So, I hope you'll take Mark IV up on his offer but either way it's inspiring - many thanks!

We can tell you're having fun! Ross and the folks at Hi-Tech (SA) have really done a beautiful job with these little 289s and not only on the surface. The original style round-tube chassis and transverse leaf spring suspension is also a work of art - eh?

Anyway, just in case I haven't already said it - Congratulations on a very nice build!

LightNFast,

Well, shucks..thanks! My pleasure, if you proceed on the DB10 cover, PM me for any advice/additional details I can give. Again, it gives nice weather protection to relays to boot. See above response to MK IV above, I will some covers for you guys. Just PM me for email contact.

The car had been fun, helping me keep my sanity from my day job. Ross and Hi Tech DID do a fabulous job, and STILL (bought the car new in 2013) provide outstanding support and information. Never expected such an amazing service, and now.. friends. The chassis is fantastic, and is the closest thing you'll get to an original CSX 2xxx to date.

Thanks for compliments, check out the 'TOOL KIT REDUX' thread under Originality Forum for some fun we had redoing OE tool kit bits-
LightNFast likes this.

Last edited by Armrer; 03-20-2016 at 11:48 AM..
Old 03-20-2016, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Viking Blue "64" 289 FIA comp car by Superformance #0002, Keith Craft - 331 (460HP), Jim Inglese - 48IDA Weber carbs, BW T10 4spd.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armrer View Post
Glad you like them! Yes, those are the items at your PO Box.

OK, OK, in the interest of advancing the popularity of these cars, I'll offer the Lucas fuse panel covers for sale. Until I get sued by Lucas

MK IV, I'd check your PO Box, and examine the 2 standoff assemblies that come with each cover, you will have to make those. They are easy to copy, and it will be more cost effective if you do them vs. paying me to do them. I'll supply the cover (painted) and with qty 2 brass thumb nuts and qty 2, threaded inserts for the fuse block.

I will supply a drawing to make the standoffs, and easy mount instructions for anyone else who would like a cover. They are very durable, and will accept engine bay heat easily without degrading.

The more orders I get, the cheaper the part will be for you all.

PM me over the next week, and at the end of it I'll email you worst case/best case pricing depending on orders taken. Regardless, they are very reasonable. It makes all the work to create them worth it, vs. making just a couple.
Any chance the next one can be purchased direct to the public? If so, please PM me your address so I can get a check on the way...

Thanks,
Old 03-20-2016, 11:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

The car is Fantastic!
Old 03-20-2016, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCOBRA View Post
The car is Fantastic!
Thanks, JB!
Old 03-21-2016, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary(2) one with 427 sohc and one with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     
Default Covers

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  45.5 KB

I'm thinking of having my covers lettered now. What do you think?
1985 CCX and Armrer like this.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by legenmetals View Post
Attachment 27566

I'm thinking of having my covers lettered now. What do you think?
Looks like you made the covers from aluminum plate, then TIG welded them together? You could mark them with laser, go about .020 deep. That would look pretty sharp. If you need a great source for that, PM me-
Old 03-22-2016, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary(2) one with 427 sohc and one with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

Name:  0313161615_resized.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  85.8 KB

Correct-TIG welded ground with a radius and anodized. Laser etching is the way I will probably go. Here's a shot of a horn button I had lasered for a friends Hot Rod Packard. It lasered the shadow just like the print we copied.

What to print on the cover though?

After looking at the spaghetti behind the dash I may just re-wire the car with LUCAS components!
Old 03-22-2016, 08:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You could use the 'official' Shelby font -Microgramma-, Pete Brock's favorite at the time for race team look, or duplicate the Lucas look -Helvetica- font for street. Dood, your car is sick! LOVE the motor, need some pix of the Cammer car.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP938
Not Ranked     
Default Fuse Box Cover

I just installed the fuse box cover that I got from Armrer and I couldn't be more pleased. It was complete, easy to install and looks terrific. It covers and protects the open, unsightly fuse box on my CSX8000. I think it would be identical on a Superformance slabside.
Buzz, LightNFast and Armrer like this.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ditto marklotus - I'm also thrilled with mine. Armrer's done a fantastic job with it. All components as wells as packaging were handled very professionally.

Thank you very much Armrer.

Armrer likes this.

Last edited by LightNFast; 04-20-2016 at 12:55 AM..
Old 04-24-2016, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

LightNFast, MarkLotus-

Sorry, just got back from travel. WOW, fuse boxes look great! You both did a great install : ) Thanks for sharing your cars on this thread

I'm working on a small run of the faux DB10 Relay Covers with Ross Henry. Still deciding the most accurate way of executing them. I'll keep everyone posted.

Also, I'm replicating the OE 289 chrome alternator light bezel assembly on the instrument panel. It will be a high quality steel stamping like the original. Will keep everyone posted on that as well-

Best-

Jeff
Old 04-24-2016, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP938
Not Ranked     

Jeff,
Thank you. Please keep me informed on development of relay cover and alternator light. I'm a bit apprehensive about the light as I presume it would entail drilling through the dash. You made such a complete kit for the fuse cover, I'm sure the light will be a winner.
Mark
Old 04-24-2016, 07:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Jeff it was nice to see you. Catch me up soon.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklotus View Post
Jeff,
Thank you. Please keep me informed on development of relay cover and alternator light. I'm a bit apprehensive about the light as I presume it would entail drilling through the dash. You made such a complete kit for the fuse cover, I'm sure the light will be a winner.
Mark
Mark,

Will do. The light is easier than it looks to install. I can provide a template, complete instructions and even loan you the tool to enlarge the hole in the instrument panel. Toughest part is removing the steering wheel for working space. Easy, fun stuff.

Best-

J