Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2015, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra, Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     
Default Roush Engine Choice

I just ordered a Superformance Cobra. I'm trying to decide on engine choice between Roush 427R or SR. I'm leaning towards the R. Does anyone have experience with the 427R or SR?

Thanks for your help!
GC427 likes this.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

427 SR with the twisted wedge cam option.
If you race, get the R. If you street, get the SR.
Both will be more than enough power for you.
Check the horsepower and torque graphs for both and get the one that suits your driving style.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I suggest you do a search before even considering a Roush product. Lot's of negative info. everywhere. There are many better choices.
madmaxx and RodKnock like this.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

For all of you with, or contemplating the purchase of, a Roush crate engine, you might want to read the following warranty exclusions from their website: Specifically, it suggests that these engines are set up with loose tolerances and oil consumption is going to be higher than normal. If you can't live with that, then you might want to consider another engine manufacturer.

"ROUSH Crate Engines are high-performance engines that are based on and operate like the engines designed and produced in the 1960s and later. However, unlike engines of that time, Roush® Crate Engines (like other crate engines currently manufactured in the marketplace) product significantly more power and torque. As a consequence of this, these engines have characteristics different from the original production engines upon which they have been based. The following characteristics are not covered by the Roush Crate Engine Limited Warranty and should be considered before purchase.

Specifically, Roush Crate Engines:

■Are assembled with larger operating clearances
■Will likely have a rougher idle due to the high performance camshaft design
■Will likely make more mechanical noise
■Will likely consume more oil during normal operation
■Will generate more heat due to the increased power level
■May exhibit non-production-like drive characteristics at various speed and load conditions
■Will likely consume more fuel due to the increased power level"
Old 02-18-2015, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMan View Post
I just ordered a Superformance Cobra. I'm trying to decide on engine choice between Roush 427R or SR. I'm leaning towards the R. Does anyone have experience with the 427R or SR?

Thanks for your help!
Roush is popular but I would also shop Lykins and Keith Craft. I think you can find a better value. I would also consider a stroked FE. Check with the above mentioned suppliers and Survival Motorsports on an iron stroked FE. You may be in the same price range.

Enjoy the journey!
Old 02-18-2015, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance#2352/Aluminum SO/490 c.i. 650 h.p. 605 tq.
Not Ranked     

My Roush 427 SR had oil getting by the valve guides at 7k miles pulled the heads. Guides were fine, took heads to a the shop. The valve stems were worn. Come to find out they were cheap Chinese valves, and the valve guides had worn the valve stems allowing the oil to flow. Fixed it pulled the engine and sold it, put a Keith Kraft 482 in it haven't regretted it one second. Just my experience. Know of one other member on here who had serious problems with his, but it's up to him if he wants to chime in. Just sayin
mjl likes this.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Bill View Post
Roush is popular but I would also shop Lykins and Keith Craft. I think you can find a better value. I would also consider a stroked FE. Check with the above mentioned suppliers and Survival Motorsports on an iron stroked FE. You may be in the same price range.

Enjoy the journey!
Agree with Bill. I would explore your options before signing up for a Roush motor. Roush has had a history of oil consumption problems with the 427s (my 402 doesn't use a drop of oil though). I encountered several issues early on, primarily due to sloppy workmanship during the assembly process.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 02-18-2015, 09:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Best way to get a Roush engine is to make sure someone else builds it, and then put their valve covers on it.

Even at $1000 a pop for vavle covers you'd still come out a head $$$ and have an engine that works.

PS: Welcome to the forum... I bet you never thought that you'd have opened a can of worms with your first post did ya? Enjoy... and congrats on the SPF - great cars!

Last edited by Dimis; 02-18-2015 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: Welcome... :)
Old 02-18-2015, 09:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

I drove the 427R and found it not very street easy to drive. It bucked a lot. Later I was told with an adjustment to the carb that could have been fixed. I ended up with a 427 SRTW #460 and have been happy with it. I did buy my SPF with 1,700 miles on it and the previous owner said he replaced the intake manifold and carb. I have an Edelbrock Air-Gap with a Bigs Stage 5 750 CFM double pumper. Now with over 12,000 miles, I have literally never heard it backfire or miss fire. Every time I've put my foot in it, it just goes. It sounds knarly and I love it. I have noticed when I stick my foot in it, it consumes more oil. Oh, the 427 SRTW still bucks too much, but none of these Cobras are meant to drive slow. When I'm on the gas it is smooth.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2234 Diamond Edition, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Hi!
I have a 427R in my Superformance and i am happy with it.
More or less no oil consumption, runs strong, good torque.
At the beginning ist was no fun to drive below 1.800 rpm - after some
problems with the carburator i changed to a QFT - at the Moment i have
some stumble below 1.500 rpm but i am still not at the end to optimize
the carburator - think at the end it will be nearly perfect. The stumble on most
427R have to do with lean condition under low load - so it has to do with the
Tuning of the carburator - in most cases the carburator is tuned for high HP at
the Dyno.
However i think the 427SR will be the better choice cause of the more street
friendly cam. And i am not sure if you will notice the difference in HP in reality.
But think with some Tuning on the carb you can not go wrong with a 427R too.
And both are lots of fun :-)
Till now i have zero Problems with my 427R and i drive on the spirited side.

But when i would buy a new engine i think i would not buy a Roush. With all these
high HP engines some things can go wrong - then you will have to fight with things like
customer Service - some years ago Roush was very good in these things too - but seems
this times are over.
Take a look at Brent Lykins - his customer Service is terrific - really a great guy!!!!
Do not understand me wrong i would not say that the engines from KC or Brent are better then a Roush but when it comes to Problems the there will be a huge difference.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

As people have already mentioned, for the money Roush asks for one of his engines I'd shop around before making a purchase. I've heard good things about Brent and I know people with Craft engines who are very happy. They also stand behind their product, which is huge when you're talking about engines that put out this much power and can develop issues.
Good luck with your SPF. I'm just getting back into it myself after selling my SPF a few years ago and now I have the bug again. Been checking out engines / builders and pretty sure I'll be going with KC if I end up buying a roller.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

My Roush experience was not all that pleasant but it was a 427IR (Fuel injection 8-stack). They had a total lack of understanding of that system. Customer service started off OK but when they finally figured out they didn't have the talent to do the correct work, they imploded and I basically gave up and went to a third party. Once the DFI system operated properly I had no issues with the engine. Mine did use a little oil but nothing that I thought was excessive or more than normal for a high compression engine.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1233-396C.I. Windsor
Not Ranked     

The Roush warranty is misrepresented. Give me a call and I will fill you in.651-423-5800
Old 02-19-2015, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRP/MN View Post
The Roush warranty is misrepresented.
Well that may or may not be true... But the negative experiences sure aren't.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRP/MN View Post
The Roush warranty is misrepresented. Give me a call and I will fill you in.651-423-5800
Cut and paste directly from Roush web site!
Old 02-20-2015, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My experience with my Roush 427SRTW is as follows:

At delivery, intake gasket was leaking. Roush paid the labor to replace it but I was charged for the gasket. I guess their warranty doesn't extend to gaskets.

At 13,000 miles, oil use (one quart every 250 miles) and blow-by warranted a complete rebuild. Heads were leaking oil at seals and guides. Valve stems were worn. Needed complete head rebuild. Rings were shot, needed new pistons, rings, bearings, cam, lifters.

After rebuild, and updated Roush cam and lifters, the engine ran stronger than ever.

So, based on my experience, if you don't drive more than a few miles per year, you'll probably be ok. However, if you plan to put thousands of miles on your car, you might want to consider a custom, hand built engine by another builder (Brent Lykins and Keith Craft come to mind). Costs will be similar but you will get a custom engine built just for you rather than a crate engine sitting in a warehouse and built by an unknown mechanic.

Just my opinion. Your experience may vary.
mjl likes this.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Some think the Roush crate engines are built in their NASCAR shop by their NASCAR mechanics,nothing could be further from the truth.......

At one time,the engine builds were outsourced and Roush only supplied the parts..........don't know exactly whom is assembling their engines now,but it is not the NASCAR people....
Just something to think about.....
Old 02-20-2015, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Seems that most of the problems have been with the 427 builds, although I'm sure those are by far the most popular (427 SR and 427 R). I haven't heard much about the 402 based motors - likely because they are more scarce? Perhaps a milder build such as a 402 AL is less likely to be prone to trouble?
Old 02-20-2015, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R and CSX 6029
Not Ranked     

My Roush 402 R has been great (so far); no oil leaks or any other problems. It is 7 years old, has been tracked and pushed fairly hard (occasionally), a good bit of stop and go driving on the street (has about 15,000 miles). It does not like it much under 2,000 rpm as it gets a little trailer hitch jerky. Does not overheat, crazy fast and sounds great. i thought about the 427 sb Roush but there were a few concerns.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP3033, KC SBF 427
Not Ranked     

I went with a KC 427W for the following reasons:

- all assembly done at Keith's shop (quality control)
- for same price as a Roush the KC included a DART aluminum block and shipping.
- seems to be all hi quality parts

When the engine showed up with shipping damage to the carb and oil pan KC immediately shipped new ones. No hassles. Also, good service - answered all my many questions.

After 3000 miles the only problem is a very small/occasional oil leak (rear main, I think). Engines has tons of torque and power even though I had it slightly de-tuned for the street (554 hp and ~580 ft-lbs at the fly wheel). Very pleased with it. Does run a bit rough under low speed cruise/no load/coasting but not bad - expected with this much power. By the way - I get an honest 16 MPG with a .83 5th gear & 275/40R18s.

Matt