Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 06-26-2017, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford Racing 363/8-stack injection, SPFR0012
Not Ranked     

Did you just add side bars or a full cage?

Mark
Old 06-26-2017, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Mark,

Adding an additional forward strut to the drivers side and side protection on both sides, so basically a full cage, with the exception of nothing going aft, as there is nothing to support to in the rear of these cars.

Will post pictures when I get it home.

Jim
Moto One likes this.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds like what I thought, look forward to the photos.

Mark.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Roll cage

The roll cage has been installed, it is not a full SCCA cage like Morris', as vintage does not require that. However, it is more substantial than vintage requires, for vintage racing side protection is an option. I may decide to supplement the cage in the future. The welder was having a difficult time finding places to weld the side protection to on the front hoop, as the door hinges are in the way. I believe that there is the opportunity to remove the leather strap between the hinges to offer another spot to which to weld. The strap could then be cut and then wrapped around the side support bar.

So here the cage is with the seat in place fresh on the trailer as I picked it up.

This is with the seat removed, in addition to the additional forward brace and side protection, we added a bar in the hoop just below the body for connecting the shoulder harness and a support brace for the seat to get bolted to. We decided on the shoulder harness bar below the body, as opposed to how you see sometimes above the body in the hoop, as above the body would place the shoulder harnesses too high and they would not be effective in a roll over. Shoulder harness straps need to be between 0-20 degrees below the shoulders.

Here are pictures with the seat removed.

Now it on to the engine and transmission install tomorrow.

Jim
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:30 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Jim,
Nice! Looks good.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 06-28-2017, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brenda's happy with it. Makes her feel a little better. Hopefully everything goes smoothly tomorrow and allows me to get a measurement for the driveshaft. Having the fourth next week worries me about lost work time with businesses possibly taking a long weekend. Hopefully not.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Great progress Jim. Really starting to get it together now. That's a huge milestone approaching with the installation of the engine and trans.

Cheers!
Glen
Old 06-29-2017, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That will work. Have you thought about adding an intrusion plate on the drivers twin bars? You know just incase. Taking a side hit has been something on our minds, not much there, but then there never was.

Mark.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark, thanks for your concern, but I think that the side protection on the drivers side will be quite substantial. I may add one more bar to complete the connection from the upper horizontal bar from the other side of the forward brace to the front hoop. May also add another horizontal bar on the passenger side as well.

So, had a friend come over today and in 4 hours we installed the engine and transmission, wish that we had more photos , but it was pretty busy work and not much time for photo taking.

Learned a few things, tried to install the engine from the front, and the boom on the hoist was just a little shy, so had to come at it from the side. Also tried to install the engine with the headers in place and that did not work. Too tight. Removed the drivers side header and was able to get the engine mounts in place with some work. Then when it came time to tighten the bolts realized that the header flange was in the way of reaching the bolts, so off came the other header.

The biggest fiasco happened when we we installing the transmission. I had removed the transmission tunnel and we installed the transmission from inside the car. After we had the transmission lined up for install and supported on the transmission mount crossmember, I crawled underneath the car and left my friend in the car to assist from that point. After several attempts we were able to get the input shaft lined up in the clutch and pilot bearing and had maneuvered the transmission forward enough that I could install a couple of bolts into the bell housing. The whole time I am doing bench presses with that top loader. As the night wore on it became heavier and heavier. As I tried to install the top bolt just above the opening for the clutch fork/hydraulic throwout bearing lines, the bolt slipped in my fingers and fell through the opening into the bell housing

Had to remove the transmission and retrieve the bolt. Several attempts and some tired arms later the transmission was finally installed! It is going to be one short driveshaft!

Time for some rest, a much needed beer and get ready for more fun tomorrow.

Jim
Old 06-30-2017, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC cox 2699 roadster Riverside FIA RSR2001
Not Ranked     

Good one Jim, Looks the business. Remember diff side has 1310 series U joint which probably does`nt match the slip yoke size on tranny, so a mix and match reqd. ie weld in tube yoke must be 1310
Old 06-30-2017, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Ross, actually the transmission slip yoke is a 1310 size as well, because it is for a 28 spline 289 top loader. The larger yokes are for the 31 spline big blocks.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Just to keep post accurate for future racers, one can buy other size slip yokes for T10`s, TopLoaders, etc. Below is a link.

1350 SERIES - TRANSMISSION SLIP YOKE - FORD C4, AOD, MOST TOPLOADER 3&4spd, TREMEC T-5 - 28 SPLINE FORD SLIP YOKE - SKU#(s) 3503-281 - Fort Wayne Clutch & Driveline

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net

Last edited by Blas; 06-30-2017 at 04:43 PM..
Old 06-30-2017, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
....The whole time I am doing bench presses with that top loader. As the night wore on it became heavier and heavier....
I'm super impressed. I know how heavy that lump is!

Jim - would it have been feasible to bolt up the Toploader to the engine before the install, and then fit the engine/gearbox as a unit?

Great progress!

Cheers,
Glen
Old 06-30-2017, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
I'm super impressed. I know how heavy that lump is!

Jim - would it have been feasible to bolt up the Toploader to the engine before the install, and then fit the engine/gearbox as a unit?

Great progress!

Cheers,
Glen
Glen,

I am not sure how well the at would have worked. I have done it on my MGB, but removed the radiator beforehand to gain access. I saw a video of someone doing it on a Factory Five, but with the body off. It was tight enough with just the engine and bell housing. I suppose it is possible.

Jim
Old 06-30-2017, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
Just to keep post accurate for future racers, one can buy other size slip yokes for T10`s, TopLoaders, etc. Below is a link.

1350 SERIES - TRANSMISSION SLIP YOKE - FORD C4, AOD, MOST TOPLOADER 3&4spd, TREMEC T-5 - 28 SPLINE FORD SLIP YOKE - SKU#(s) 3503-281 - Fort Wayne Clutch & Driveline
Blas,

Thanks. I saw a similar site but was not happy with the idea of it being a 27/28 spline shaft with a dead spot. It might be fine, but just worried me a little. Wanted something that was made specifically for a 28 spline.

Jim
Old 07-01-2017, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Additional sources:

Mark Williams Enterprises 1350 Series Chrome Moly Slip Yoke for Tremec Manual Transmissions with 28 spline output 39022

SONNAX T3-3-8251HP FORGED Chromoly Slip Yoke for TREMEC transmissions with 28 spline output 1350 series

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 07-01-2017, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Blas,

Thanks. If I need to upgrade in the future, I will.

Jim
Old 07-01-2017, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No pictures today, will have some later tomorrow or Monday. Spent yesterday and today installing the MSD system, leveling the transmission tail with the differential and planning out the transmission support. The car comes with a transmission support that is set up for a Tremec and the support is about 3 inches aft of the transmission support on the tail housing for the Toploader. I have to make a bracket that will bolt to the existing transmission support and then drop down an inch and go forward 3 inches to allow it to be bolted to the poly transmission support bracket on the Toploader.

Also have been planning out the install for the race harness, wired in the kill switch and will be working on the fire system as well. Things are coming together, but there is no way that I will be ready for the July Sprints at Watkins Glen next Friday, so I will be running the MGB there to get some more track time and will have the car ready to race at the US Vintage Grand Prix at Watkins Glen September 7.

Jim
Moto One likes this.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Keep up the good work.

Mark.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Starting to come together

Spent sometime yesterday and this morning working on the car. Installed the driver's side header, a lot less room to work with than on the passenger side. eventually had to loosen the motor mount on the passenger side, remove the motor mount on the drivers side and jack the engine, rotating it towards the passenger side and the header finally went in.

Finished wiring in the MSD 6AL and set the rev limiter.

Also, set the Harrison expansion tank in place, getting ready to plumb in the cooling system.

Going to have to focus on getting the MGB ready for race this weekend. Then back to it. Have a happy Fourth.

Jim