Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2022, 04:24 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Question Details, details, details-original looking details

After writing the post below in another thread, it got the wheels turning as to what the detail differences are for SPS0034 and CSX 8036 that was recently on BAT. Even though it is currently listed for sale (as is ERA2080), I clearly need something to tinker with. With that said, I need assistance in finding the correct part numbers for the following:

Stock 3 wire "long" alternator harness to reach voltage regulator(currently 1 wire) on firewall
Stock alternator
Pulley and bracket set for front engine accessories
AC logo 2 ear knock offs (I have this somewhere, but cannot find it at the moment)
Early style Cobra badges (nose and trunk)
Early style dash switches and correct ignition switch
Lucas headlights that 8036 has installed
Correct Stewart Warner voltage gauge (his is the same as mine, but I know there has to be a "vintage looking" alternative
Correct "vintage look" clock
Bolt on AC pedals (I have little fabricating tools these days)

I'm certain someone before me has done this, and has a list of any and all parts and sources for the above, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Bill S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
There are very minor differences between the SPF and CSX 289 roadsters, mostly never seen by the naked eye. However, in the case of the silver car, I know Mark, and the car has a lot of nice details that take it over and above a SPF. Dash details are the top of the list, it did a really nice job of taking the dash and making it closer to original than the standard SPF/CSX layout. My fuel filler cap is a closer representation to the original vs his, AC knock offs add another touch, where mine are not currently marked with the AC logo. Lucas headlights and clear front lenses (I have the front lenses coming in, unsure whether I want the Lucas Tri lenses or not), AC pedals instead of the SPF ones on my car (an easy change if I truly wanted, just not that important), mt trunk is carpeted, where the Silver car shows off the aluminum panels, his engine compartment has the proper overflow tank, mine does not, he has the fuse cover installed, mine is sitting in the glove box.

Other than that, not including the CSX number, they are pretty much identical in nature and build. I'd say less than $3,000 in updates to make it closer to the silver CSX8000 series car. Change out the 1 wire alternator and install V belt pullies. Black distributor cap, and proper wires, sandblast the valve covers, and install the fuse block covers that Rick Muck sourced for me.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-18-2022, 04:35 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Bill,

I have a 62 Galaxie clock available, needs the bezel replated and the clock rebuilt (it was but it got flooded...)

I can put you on several of the parts you need.
1985 CCX likes this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 07-18-2022, 07:12 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Bill,

I have a 62 Galaxie clock available, needs the bezel replated and the clock rebuilt (it was but it got flooded...)

I can put you on several of the parts you need.
You've got my email, send me the details on the clock and I am assuming the dash switches and such.

Any leads on the alternator harness, Bueller, Bueller, anybody, anybody

As for the AC 2 ear knock offs, think I found them HERE , part numbers KCK293LH/KCK292RH just need to confirm the thread size are correct for the SPF 289 roadster and wire wheel combination.

Let's see if we can document for future builders as well here.

Bill S.

Old 07-18-2022, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alloy Shelby CSX 8057/Kirkham 1010, 289 Vintage Lykins Build
Not Ranked     

The AC repop spinners are also available here: https://www.holden.co.uk/p/ac_ace_le..._wheel_spinner

They seem to sell out quickly.

The repops have feathers on the arrows while the originals do not.

There were a few other things on 8036 that were not original that you may have noted:

- The wipers parked on the wrong side
- The central mirror was a repop and not mounted as original. More original Lucas mirrors are available
- No windscreen washer jets
- Rear bumper is from a 427 not a 289. Too wide and sticks out too far. Same issue with SPF Mark II's
- Modern wiper motor instead of a Lucas DR3
- No trunk accessories (tool kit, jack, jack handles and holder, bow holder clip, ...)
- No date plate on the McCord expansion tank

Not an exhaustive list but perhaps gives you something to "tinker with".
Old 07-18-2022, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The correct alternator pulley is going to be an issue and will take some time to find. I’ve had to turn down two restorers recently that contacted me, each looking for one.
Larry
Old 07-18-2022, 10:11 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
The correct alternator pulley is going to be an issue and will take some time to find. I’ve had to turn down two restorers recently that contacted me, each looking for one.
Larry
I'm not looking for 100% concourse correct, I'm looking for form, function, and of course the correct "look". Rick just showed me his set up with a 1 wire alternator that looks close enough to correct for me, so I'm open to quality alternatives, as I do drove everything I own, whenever I can.

Bill S.

Old 07-18-2022, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'm not looking for 100% concourse correct, I'm looking for form, function, and of course the correct "look". Rick just showed me his set up with a 1 wire alternator that looks close enough to correct for me, so I'm open to quality alternatives, as I do drove everything I own, whenever I can.

Bill S.
I understand! Concours would be even much harder as correct alternator cases are more rare then hens teeth! Die cast, not sand cast and now 50+ years later, lots of those have been bead blasted ruining the original finish! I’d look for an old alternator and use the smaller press-on pulley. I have one of those I’ll give you if you choose that route.
Larry
Old 07-18-2022, 12:11 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Bill S.
Bill, NOT a "one-wire" alternator, it is the correct Ford 1G as used on 63-64 T-Birds and Lincolns.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 07-18-2022, 01:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Bill, you know my feelings on the subject.

I'd defintely go 100% concours correct on your SPF.
Old 07-18-2022, 01:44 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Bill, NOT a "one-wire" alternator, it is the correct Ford 1G as used on 63-64 T-Birds and Lincolns.
Gotcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Bill, you know my feelings on the subject.

I'd defintely go 100% concours correct on your SPF.
I hear yours is covered in concourse correct dust from lack of use.

Bill S.

Old 07-18-2022, 02:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I hear yours is covered in concourse correct dust from lack of use.
Bill S.
At this point, it's technical classification is considered "barn find."
Old 07-18-2022, 02:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Neutral     

If you look thru the documents included with the owners manual included with your car the fix for the wipers parked on the wrong side is included in the information. Fix is valid for SPF MK II’s and CSX 7000/8000 cars. Also works on SPF MKIII’s and CSX6000/8000 cars.
Blas
LMH likes this.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 07-18-2022, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

I’ve got several of the parts, including the alternator pulley and I believe I have the case also. I also reproduce the correct alternator mounting bracket casting (in steel not aluminum) with the correct logo and adjusting arm. I also have a set of the correct body KONI shock absorbers, intake manifold and cast aluminum oil pan. NOS water pump mounted fan blade……

Last edited by CompClassics; 07-18-2022 at 06:25 PM..
Old 07-18-2022, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

How about an original 1964 48 IDA Weber system????
Attached Images

1985 CCX, LMH and Alfa02 like this.
Old 07-18-2022, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

By the way, contact me as I have some suspension fixes you will want to do before driving that car.
Old 07-18-2022, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Very early COBRA aluminum manifold....
Attached Images

1985 CCX and LMH like this.
Old 07-18-2022, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
....Correct Stewart Warner voltage gauge (his is the same as mine, but I know there has to be a "vintage looking" alternative
Correct "vintage look" clock....
Did any 289 Cobras come with a voltage gauge?

Cheers,
Glen
Old 07-18-2022, 10:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The original Shelby AC Cobra badge was: S1CS-A. Dan can tell you all about those. There are knock off, that very from great, to terrible! Here is the story of the correct flightless arrow, near and off side spinners, scroll down a ways. https://aceac.weebly.com/ac-ace-wheels--spinners.html Cheers, Dennis
Old 07-18-2022, 10:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bill, this may help some, not complete, maybe others can feel in the blanks! Cheers, Dennis Mk1 and II

Up to chassis CSX 2054 - 'Shelby AC Cobra' motifs front and rear Ed Hugus 260 Cobras, Shelby AC Cobra Badges, nose and boot, AC medallion nose, AC script badge. boot. Tasca 260 Cobra Shelby AC Cobra badge nose, AC script on boot.

CSX 2055 to CSX 2132 - the 'flat headed' Cobra emblem front and rear

CSX 2132 onwards - the later Cobra emblem front and rear

Early CS, COB/COX chassis cars - 'flat headed' Cobra emblem on front, AC badge on rear.

Later COB/COX chassis cars - later Cobra emblem on front, AC script on rear. Hugus Ford in PA or Tasca in Rhode Island 1962 Galaxie Clock C2AZ-15A000-A ELECTRIC CLOCK KIT 2160, when side-vents were added, and 2200, when Stewart Warner instruments came into play, as it appears to have the early Smiths gauges CSX2071 - CSX2200 built using Ford generators jack Shelley 12DL 38 Grease Gun Tecalemit GB 2800 AMCO #5234 Luggage Rack
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 07-18-2022, 10:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Why do I bother, to make the nicely spaced rows, only to have them jumble together? Cheers, Dennis