Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Superformance (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/)
-   -   Avon Tires Cr6zz (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/79567-avon-tires-cr6zz.html)

JohnWorthing848 06-07-2007 01:55 PM

Avon Tires Cr6zz

Has anyone purchased these tires for your SPF? I am looking at the
245/60x15 for the front and the 295's for the rear. Should be a good fit.

Any input as to these tires or fit issues would be appreciated.

John

Calbullet 06-07-2007 02:03 PM

checked with RKR yesterday, they have the 245's in stock and the 295's should be in stock in July. sit'in on the fence right now.

jacb 01-26-2008 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnWorthing848 (Post 748055)
Has anyone purchased these tires for your SPF? I am looking at the 245/60x15 for the front and the 295/50x15's for the rear. Should be a good fit.

Any input as to these tires or fit issues would be appreciated.

John

Hi John

How did those Avons work out on your MK lll ?

Did you need "Wheel Mod 1" as posted in thread 77297?

I am thinking of fitting the same tire, same size - any feedback would be most welcome.

Regards

James

Got the Bug 01-26-2008 08:32 AM

James - The Avons would fit on the stock SPF rims without any modfication.

decooney 01-26-2008 10:45 AM

I'd like to hear from someone who has driven these tires for over 5,000 miles to see if they still honestly like them as much as when they first put them on their cobra?

-Pros
-Cons
-Comments

If possible, it would be best to hear from someone who previously had either Yokohama Avids or Big Letter Goodyear tires or even just BF TAs on there first before switching to the Avons,... if there is anyone out here like this yet with some miles on them. I too am very interested in these tires as a possible next tire, but consider them to be a bit too expensive to get overly excited about them yet.

jacb 01-27-2008 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got the Bug (Post 808507)
James - The Avon’s would fit on the stock SPF rims without any modification. Doug

Thanks Doug

That’s good to know ..... The link I gave said that they would fit, but that you had to keep the ride height high to avoid hitting the wheel arch ...... any problems with clearance and ride height?

James

jacb 01-27-2008 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decooney (Post 808529)
I'd like to hear from someone who has driven these tires for over 5,000 miles to see if they still honestly like them as much as when they first put them on their cobra?

-Pros
-Cons
-Comments

If possible, it would be best to hear from someone who previously had either Yokohama Avids or Big Letter Goodyear tires or even just BF TAs on there first before switching to the Avons,... if there is anyone out here like this yet with some miles on them. I too am very interested in these tires as a possible next tire, but consider them to be a bit too expensive to get overly excited about them yet.

Cant answer all your questions ...... but a friend came round yesterday with his MK lll fitted with 255/60X15 (F) & 275/60x15 (R) Avid S/T's .... rode well - I will ask him for some feedback. Having read all the posts about the Avons I fancy trying them on my car when it gets here.

I note that the rear size is not a problem with the Avons 295/50x15, but at the front you actually loose road contact surface when you fit the 245/60x15's ........ I wish they made an Avon in 255/60x15.

:confused:

ztarum 01-27-2008 07:29 AM

Are you sure? It looks like the tread width is the same or slightly wider for the 245's.

jacb 01-27-2008 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ztarum (Post 808674)
Are you sure? It looks like the tread width is the same or slightly wider for the 245's.

Interesting ........... Are you saying that whilst the Avid S/T's may have a larger "Section Width" (cross section) they actually have a smaller contact patch? I assumed that if a tire has a larger section width then it would follow that it also has a larger contact patch (tread width).

I see on the Cobra Tire Page that the Avon CR6ZZ 245/60x15 has a tread width of 8.7" ....... now I just have to get my friends car back to measure his 255/60x15 Avid S/T's. This may take some time ............ anyone with the Avid S/T's and a tape measure?

Regards

decooney 01-27-2008 10:21 AM

Remember, Inflated dimension will measure differently than loaded dimensions. I would want to compare both tires on wheels, inflated, on a rim, OFF the car and see too...

The Yokohama site shows Overall width for the Avid S/T 245-60-15 as being 9.9 inches and the Tread width itself as 7.9 inches. Here is the link if you want to check it out.

Avid S/T:
http://www.yokohamatire.com/pdf/AvidSTBull.pdf

patrickt 01-27-2008 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacb (Post 808729)
............ anyone with the Avid S/T's and a tape measure?

Regards

Funny you should ask....:rolleyes: These are 235/60's on the front.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...front_tire.jpg

patrickt 01-27-2008 10:55 AM

... and the rear 295/50's.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d.../Rear_Avid.jpg

Calbullet 01-27-2008 12:02 PM

the Avon's have a more square shoulder to the tire. the Avid's have a rounder shoulder profile.

SPF1061 01-27-2008 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decooney (Post 808529)

-Pros
-Cons
-Comments

That would be me. :D
I have my second set of Avons in the garage ready to mount as soon as the weather turns (probably late March). I have right at 6000 miles on the first set and they are pretty much ready to be put out to pasture. I competed at Run-n-Gun on these tires (took first place in big block street - Road Course, second place - Autocross, second place - drag race). I also participated in four days worth of open track events at VIR and have 2 dozen or more 1/4 mile passes on them. My street driving style could be described as "spirited". :LOL:
I put around 30,000 mile worth of street and track wear on Yoko Avids before switching to the Avons. There is absolutely no comparison between these two tires. The Avids are a great value highway cruising tire. That's about all I can say good about the Avids when comparing them to the Avons.
I expect that one could get around 10k miles out of a set of Avons if they drove only on the street, but I'm not sure that they would be worth the extra $$ if the car isn't pushed towards it's limits occassionally. On the street the car handles like a true performance vehicle instead of like a 60s muscle car.
At the track the Avons come within a hair of keeping up with full on racing slicks. They are not cheap, but in terms of grins, they are worth every penny. I'd say the performance difference is similar to giving your engine a nice extra 50/75 hp jolt. There's my .02.
Be safe and have fun.
-steve

ou812545 01-27-2008 02:16 PM

Steve,

Can you post some pictures of your SPF with the Avons?

decooney 01-27-2008 03:13 PM

Steve,
Helpful information, and the details are great. Did at any point you ever notice steering wheel shake with the Avons, and were they as smooth or better than the Yoko Avids? I ask, because I've driven several tires on Cobras, and the Avids were amazingly smooth - can let go of at almost any speed, and not even a notable movement of the steering wheel. I think you pretty much covered everything else very well.

Would you say the Avon's are as smooth (low wheel shake/vibration) or maybe even better than the Avids; in your opinion?

SPF1061 01-27-2008 04:14 PM

Duane -
The Avons are a far superior tire to the Yokos in every respect. They are very true and balance out easily. They run very smooth at speed. In addition they are far more positive and immediate in their response to any steering commands. You will not realize how "squishy" the Yokos feel until you drive an a set of Avons. Hope this helps.
-steve

SPF1061 01-27-2008 05:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not great at the photo thing, but here you go.

SPF1061 01-27-2008 05:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and another. I don't know why they show up only as thumbnails, but if you click on them they get bigger.:rolleyes: Can someone tell me how to post the full sized picture in the window?

Tom Kirkham 01-27-2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPF1061 (Post 808836)
Duane -
The Avons are a far superior tire to the Yokos in every respect. They are very true and balance out easily. They run very smooth at speed. In addition they are far more positive and immediate in their response to any steering commands. You will not realize how "squishy" the Yokos feel until you drive an a set of Avons. Hope this helps.
-steve

In our cars we have found this to be the case. The tires are not even in the same ball park. Also the Avid ST are not available in the sizes that are normally used on Cobra replicas any more.