Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-13-2008, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Think of amp and volt gauges as the water system coming into your house. The amp gauge is like your in-line water meter measuring what volume is flowing at any one time. The volt meter is like the town water tower, its height ( ie battery voltage) determines how much energy is available to push the water.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Also the total current might (or might not) be flowing through the ammeter. If the builder used a shunt somewhere near the alternator what your ammeter actually is would be a milliammeter that is calibrated and marked to give the right reading.

If you are removing an ammeter from the system you should determine which setup you have and make sure the wiring from alternator to battery circuit is sound and of sufficient gauge.

Anytime you get weird instrument indications start out by checking the ground!!!!!
Old 06-13-2008, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     

I would also like to replace my ammeter with a voltmeter, and have found this thread bery informative. However, no one has mentioned how to replace it. Do you have to remove the dash to get at all of the wiring, or can it be done from eunderneath? If you have to remove the dash, how do you do it?
Old 06-13-2008, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 545" stroked 460 - sold
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archrms View Post
I would also like to replace my ammeter with a voltmeter, and have found this thread bery informative. However, no one has mentioned how to replace it. Do you have to remove the dash to get at all of the wiring, or can it be done from eunderneath? If you have to remove the dash, how do you do it?
You do not have to remove the dash. I have changed a number of my gauges, all with the dash in place. First, before any gauge work, completely disconnect the battery. Second, access from under the dash any of the gauges, they are easy to remove, and for higher gauges obtain more access by removing the speedo, that really opens up the area. Then pull the gauges forward out of their openings and do whatever work is of interest
Old 06-13-2008, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     

Don,
I'm glad that it doesn't sound as complicated as it could have. I really did not want to take the dash apart. How are the gauges attached to the dash?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: