Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 103 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 08-26-2008, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stentor View Post
Not sure you're going to want a 3.73 rearend with that engine and the TKO 600 (unless you are going to be pulling stumps).

You might want to try the 3.46 gear first.
I am going to try it first, I just wonder how it is going to hook-up

Signed
Stumpy
Old 08-26-2008, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2293, Roush 427R-228
Not Ranked     

It may have changed by now, but I know when they first started using the BTR center gear sets were hard to find, and only available in a handful of ratios. I know there was talk at one point about it being essentially the same unit as a Pontiac GTO so their gear sets might fit? I never heard one way or the other if that was correct or not.

I find I'm happy with the 3.46 and the TKO600 and .82 OD. First gear is up in smoke before you say boo on my Roush427R motor, your FE should be more than enough for your tires

I do wish I had a little more OD as I find I cruise 65-70MPH at 2800 or so. using 295/50-15s by the way. Most of the calculators say I should be turning fewer RPMs but I've checked the speed with GPS and a chase car and it all seems to check out.

Daryl
Old 08-26-2008, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlang14 View Post
It may have changed by now, but I know when they first started using the BTR center gear sets were hard to find, and only available in a handful of ratios. I know there was talk at one point about it being essentially the same unit as a Pontiac GTO so their gear sets might fit? I never heard one way or the other if that was correct or not.

I find I'm happy with the 3.46 and the TKO600 and .82 OD. First gear is up in smoke before you say boo on my Roush427R motor, your FE should be more than enough for your tires

I do wish I had a little more OD as I find I cruise 65-70MPH at 2800 or so. using 295/50-15s by the way. Most of the calculators say I should be turning fewer RPMs but I've checked the speed with GPS and a chase car and it all seems to check out.

Daryl
Your crusing rpms seem spot on for your arrangement. I will have the same, but I would rather have like 2200 rpms for the highway at 70 mph

Really, If they would have had the 3:73 for the rear, I would have ordered the .64 5th. Go to the Second Strike Calculator and play around with the rear gears and the 5th speed and you will see what I mean. With 3:73's, and a .64 5th you get a nice cruising speed/rpm ratio.

http://www.secondstrike.com/Technical/GearCalc.asp

Thanks for posting!

E
Old 08-26-2008, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking Pics!!!!!

Keith sent me over some pics of the block in process today!

Beauty huh?

I have sidepipe pics coming.

I would have engine mount pics from Craig if he would send them....hint hint

E
Old 08-26-2008, 05:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Asp View Post
Your crusing rpms seem spot on for your arrangement. I will have the same, but I would rather have like 2200 rpms for the highway at 70 mph

Really, If they would have had the 3:73 for the rear, I would have ordered the .64 5th. Go to the Second Strike Calculator and play around with the rear gears and the 5th speed and you will see what I mean. With 3:73's, and a .64 5th you get a nice cruising speed/rpm ratio.

Thanks for posting!

E
Try 3.31 with the .82 5th- about perfect

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 08-26-2008, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I am going to try it first, I just wonder how it is going to hook-up

Signed
Stumpy
You will probably want to upgrade to/invest in a good set of tires (e.g., Avons, Goodyear Billboards, drag radials). This will help dramatically in harnessing and utilizing the power from your beast.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplin View Post
Try 3.31 with the .82 5th- about perfect
Agree--I second that.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2293, Roush 427R-228
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Thanks for posting!

E
Second Strike calculator says 3000 rpms would be 81MPH. I'm lucky if its 75. Not sure why the delta but it definetely isnt right. Actually just now playing with the calculator the numbers look a whole lot closer if I plug in 3.73 or 3.77. Neither makes sense as I've got build 2293 which should be the BTR center with 3.46.....Now I'm curious. When I get some free time (never right now with 5 month old twins) I'll jack it up and try to figure out what the deal is
Old 08-27-2008, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stentor View Post
You will probably want to upgrade to/invest in a good set of tires (e.g., Avons, Goodyear Billboards, drag radials). This will help dramatically in harnessing and utilizing the power from your beast.
Yup, I bought the czrr Avon's from Krause racing, they are waiting for my roller at a secret location in Texas. (It's secret so none of "use-guys" try to steal my tyres!)

E
Old 08-27-2008, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yup, I bought the czrr Avon's from Krause racing, they are waiting for my roller at a secret location in Texas. (It's secret so none of "use-guys" try to steal my tyres!)

E
Good call! I've got a set on my car and love them.

I don't think you will be disappointed.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF398/460ci/ 144hp of backfiring fury
Not Ranked     

I remember you from the SCOF days, and your unorthodox deer hunting methods. It will be good to have you back. There's been additions to SCOF that you will find interesting and entertaining, if you can stand it. Some people have been violently repulsed, in which they have never been seen or heard from again. Only to find out later that they cowered in fear in a fetal position under some bridge overpass.

Good luck on your new car.

Ronnie/spf398
Old 08-28-2008, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonNichols View Post
I remember you from the SCOF days, and your unorthodox deer hunting methods. It will be good to have you back. There's been additions to SCOF that you will find interesting and entertaining, if you can stand it. Some people have been violently repulsed, in which they have never been seen or heard from again. Only to find out later that they cowered in fear in a fetal position under some bridge overpass.

Good luck on your new car.

Ronnie/spf398
Deer hunting again huh? You've been hanging out with Bill Wells too much Ron!

Should have new pics this weekend!
Old 09-02-2008, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default More stuff

Poly motor mounts purchased and shipped to KCR Plano, purchased from Motorcity Customs http://home.comcast.net/~mcwebs/parts/mount.htm

Side pipes finished and shipped to KCR, purchased from Firefly Performance http://www.fireflyperformance.com/

They look fantastic!!!

BTW, please do not post stuff negitive about side pipes. If you have questions about side pipes just PM me and I will try to answer. My selection of side pipes is in no way a dig on anyone else's side pipes or any other manufacturer of side pipes.

I should have more motor pics soon!

E

Last edited by Great Asp; 09-04-2008 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: added poly the >>>to
Old 09-04-2008, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance#1325, Miller Machine FE
Not Ranked     
Default I am wondering about the rear end.....

I use the poly mounts and changed out the stock side pipes too.
In our quest for more performance and as we improve traction.

My question is how much H.P. can you put thur the 8.8 and before the shafts go away?
Old 09-04-2008, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket427 View Post
I use the poly mounts and changed out the stock side pipes too.
In our quest for more performance and as we improve traction.

My question is how much H.P. can you put thur the 8.8 and before the shafts go away?
The SPF's all come with the BTR dana rear now, so I can not answer your question. The gearing selection is small for the BTR, I think the only other ratio available is a 3:91. I am questioning the .82 5th because I will be turing 2800 rpms at 70 mph (the nomial Missouri hwy speed limit). That seems high to me.

E
Old 09-05-2008, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance#1325, Miller Machine FE
Not Ranked     
Default 8.8 Independent

Your are right I am one of the older SPF #1325 with the Thunderbird independent and the 8.8 center section. Some where on this site there was a dicussion about beefing up that rearend. Maybe the newer BTR are stronger.

That motor of yours will produce some serious HP and the better it hooks up the more stress the drivetrain is put under.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking progress!

As promised, more pic’s from the 496 FE build.

A trip to Keith Craft’s place in Hollywood AR on Tuesday found my motor ready for assembly. Tony Loy rolled me around the shop going from inventory, to the heads department, to the block staging to the crank shaft, pistons and connecting rods.

Block, ready!

Goodies, ready!

Valve covers, ready!

We un-crated the crank while there

Crank moved on to be balanced

Diamond pistons

Scat H beam rods

Stage 2 heads

Now waiting for the Dynatek Classic Injection to be polished, and then final assembly and DYNO BABY!!!
Old 09-17-2008, 06:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

Eric,

Do you have specs on your Comp Cam that Keith is installing? I want to compare with mine for potential use with the Dynatek. Can't wait to see the pix.

Tom
Old 09-17-2008, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

rokndad,

Good question.

I'll ask Keith and see what he has up his sleeves.

E
Old 09-18-2008, 09:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokndad View Post
Eric,

Do you have specs on your Comp Cam that Keith is installing? I want to compare with mine for potential use with the Dynatek. Can't wait to see the pix.

Tom
Ditto here. Once I get a few miles on my car, I would like to upgrade to FI. Just not sure which is better TWM or Dynatek, though the Dynatek looks closer to Webers, which I like.

Tom, I'm sure the that your cam will work.