Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC,Ford 302
Not Ranked     
Default CMC Cobra Trunk offset problems

I just dropped the body on for the first time and with a little trimming I got the floor to set flat. the body was centered and I found that the trunk is offset about an inch and a half to one side. I also found that the trunk doesn't set flat on the frame all of the way to the rear of the frame. It looks like that will have to be shimmed but what should I use. Because of the offset the floor of the trunk also sets 1/2 way on one frame rail and over on the other side. Any experience with this? I can't be the first to run into this problem. I'm also concerned with the hinge brackets for the trunk lid. Because of the curve of the body and the offset is one hinge going to be lower than the other side and will it function that way?
Thanks for any help you can send my way,
Don
Old 12-30-2009, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Could luck with the trunk hinges, not alot of fun getting them to work properly. As for the space, I didn't see a big deal in it because very little weight was being carried. Just shim it to make it solid.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Have you actually determined it IS the body that is off and not the frame?? It would seem more likely that the frame would be off since body molds rarely have that much variance from one body to another. Were either the body or frame stored on it's side for any length of time??
Old 12-30-2009, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Old ('93)CMC kit, SB ford
Not Ranked     
Default Cmc

Hey Don.

Sounds like the trunk was not centered when it was bonded to the body. You will probably need to cut the trunk loose from the body, ( bonded with urethane so it will have to be cut with a sawzall or something like that) center everything on the frame and rebond it back together. I think that will also solve your trunk hinge problem......

The trunk and package tray also stabelize the couture of the body behind the cockpit.

I have a CMC too...It's not a kit car, it is a bunch of pieces that you engineer into a car.
Fred
Old 12-31-2009, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had one and never finished it. I ran into the same problems. I had to cut out the whole trunk floor to get everything to sit straight and flat. I still had a little issue with the rear fenders not being made correctly. I just moved the body around as much as I could to get it to look reasonably centered.

I think if you do a search on here, somebody else has pictured of their CMC or StreetBeast with the same problems.

Good luck!
Old 12-31-2009, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC,Ford 302
Not Ranked     

Thanks Guys (I think) Man you're right. It is a bunch of parts I'm trying to engineer into a car. I just had a friend say it's not kit car building 101, it's problem solving 101.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Something I figured out some years ago as it concerns replica Cobras. You should NOT approach one to quickly with a tape measure. THINK about, do I really need to take this measurment? It will inevitably lead only to tears when you find one side higher than the other, one door different than the other and a myriad of other measurments (best left alone).

I was encouraged however when I discovered this same basic "measuring principle" can be applied to many of Detroit's cars as well! Just eye ball it, that's good enough for me (hide the tape).
Old 12-31-2009, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I laughed out loud on the "It's not a kit car, it is a bunch of pieces that you engineer into a car." If you want to make one of these and do it well, I have come to the conclusion that almost nothing is "stock" and every one is a masterpiece.

I had the same issues. I had cut out and fiberglass the area around package shelf that is supposed to set on the frame once I thought I found a level point. I then shimmed the trunk area with a delrin type material that was off of the frame. The front of the trunk area did touch the frame but the back was off by almost 1/2".

I really wish there was a forum here that CMC/Streetbeast owners could commiserate.....
Old 12-31-2009, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, 408 Windsor stroker, TKO600
Not Ranked     

I am running into the same problem. We have the trunk lid mounted and we revised the latching system to use parts from the hood latch. We are now ready to drill the holes for the rear bumpers but before I drill, I am doing a LOT of measuring and rethinking.
My trunk has the same defects. The trunk floor does not run parallel with the rear frame but the placement of the rear bumper brackets appears to align correctly with the rear body. I am using aluminum shims (~ 3/8") for the back of the body.

I agree that the CMC is a partial kit of parts, considering the missing parts and extra parts they ship. I have two sets of door hinges, no steering wheel etc....
We will get this together eventually and it will be a nice car but it won't be an easy assembly. This is our second year working on it (the previous owner gave up) and we are redoing a lot of his work.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I am doing a LOT of measuring and rethinking.
Eye ball it, if it LOOKS straight it is. I'm tellin' ya man, this is the way!

No one has ever approached my car at a cruise in with tape measure in hand (I would always flying tackle them before they could get to close).
Old 12-31-2009, 05:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beasts 302 HO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoober View Post
I laughed out loud on the "It's not a kit car, it is a bunch of pieces that you engineer into a car." If you want to make one of these and do it well, I have come to the conclusion that almost nothing is "stock" and every one is a masterpiece.

I had the same issues. I had cut out and fiberglass the area around package shelf that is supposed to set on the frame once I thought I found a level point. I then shimmed the trunk area with a delrin type material that was off of the frame. The front of the trunk area did touch the frame but the back was off by almost 1/2".

I really wish there was a forum here that CMC/Streetbeast owners could commiserate.....
As a Street Beasts Owner, beginning my second year on my build, if it's wrong on one Street Beasts, it's wrong on ALL OF THEM!

I have looked at countless pictures and websites and have found if somebody has a problem, I know I have it too. They may vary in how complicated to solve, but they can be solved.

Here are a couple of guys that are currently building a Street Beasts Cobra and every problem they have had, I have it too, but not to the same degree: http://[URL="http://www.okieguys.com/"][/url]

They have plenty of pictures and how they solve problems. Larry even answers e-mail.

I keep waiting for Flying Earl or somebody to create a Street Beasts discussion group. Most of us don't want to admit we have a problem. We could start out like: Hello, my name is John and I'm a Alcoholic, err Street Beasts Owner and need help.

I'm thankful for the posts on Club Cobra too: we just need more.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beasts 302 HO
Not Ranked     
Default Street Beasts Pictures Uploaded

Don: I uploaded about 40 plus pictures to my gallery today. You may see some problems you have or some you haven't discovered yet.

I have been silent too long and I am ready to share the problems I have run across and the "fixes" we have made.

The rear end shifted 2" towards the passenger side, when I first got the car. We found the "factory" control arms bent, brackets installed wrong and other things. We had to "cut it loose" and make it right. It now goes straight up and down.

Many SB owners have had to use "adjustable" upper and lower control arms to relieve the binding with the factory set up.

I have looked at old CMC's and any SB Cobra I can find, to "compare problems" and find solutions. I sent a piucture of a VIN from one CMC to Street Beasts to explain a problem and they said "we didn't make that car". It looks like every other CMC I have seen.

I included a lot of the "body and trunk" pinch or gap areas. Every SB I have seen, is about the same.

Look at a picture of the "metal bridge" next to the firewall sitting on the frame (Earl's Flying Cobra has a good one): you will notice the firewall on the passenger side is about 2" away, compared to the driver side. It's like that on EVERY one I have seen, including mine. Like I said, If ONE has the problem, ALL will have the same problem, but to a different degree.

I'll post more pictures as I have time.

Thanks for getting me fired up!

Just keep asking questions, because somebody has "been there, done that" before.

Good Luck and Happy New Year!