Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427S/C, KC/Pond aluminum 427/482 SO, TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Hole In Trigo wheel.

I've had a slow leak for a while, and it could have been from day one, but I'm not sure. I'm trying to upload a picture but am having trouble getting it into my gallery for some reason. There is no sign of damage, but there is a crack/hole large enough to stick my pinkie finger nail into it, on the inside of the rim. I lose maybe 5 psi per month at the most.

Wasn't Trigo sold? Who can I contact? Can this be repaired?

Brad

(added picture)

Last edited by Burgs; 07-10-2007 at 03:13 PM..
Old 07-10-2007, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, V8, Manual Trans, Htr, Wipers, Radio Delete
Not Ranked     

The fix for that is to peen the area over with an air hammer. PSE fixed one of my wheels that way.
Frank
Old 07-10-2007, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

I'd take the tire off the rim, and look for the hole on the inside. Clean it off with pain thinner, and coat it with JB weld, and coat the outside as well.

I had a 8" water main spring a leak in my building. I JB Welded the hole from the outside, and it has been holding up well.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 07-10-2007, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, V8, Manual Trans, Htr, Wipers, Radio Delete
Not Ranked     

Now that you added a picture I may have to temper my response. That looks like a cavern but in contrast, my wheel wouldn't hold any air so if you're only losing 5lbs a month the inside is probably not too bad. Maybe you could dismount the tire and send it back to Trigo for repair. They should be able to fix you up.
Frank
Old 07-10-2007, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex CSX3327, & AK7113 AutoKraft AC MK IV
Not Ranked     
Default hole in wheel

I have the same problem, what is JB weld?
Old 07-10-2007, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

JB Weld is MAGIC!...A two part epoxy material that you mix together and which dries to form a hardened sealer/gluing agent for metal/metal, metal/plastic, metal/fiberglass, anything/anything joints or seals.

It comes in a package with two tubes, one epoxy, one hardener. Squeeze out equal amounts and mix together into a paste. You have a limited amount of time to then apply it as a 'hole filler', or as a 'glue' before it hardens into a sandable whole. It is to epoxy resins what Duct Tape is to plastic adhesive tape!!!!!

Available at ALL good auto parts stores!

Glyn

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"
Old 07-10-2007, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

I'm guessing the leak is not from that surface ding but from the wheel valve. This is a typical area that small leaks occur. To find a leak over inflate your tire (going up to 60 is not a big deal...when the bead is seated during tire installation the presure is usually over 100 ). Put some dish soap in with water (nothing fancy just a couple of soap squirts in a cup), put the soapy water around the valve (or where you think the leak is) then look for air bubbles.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex CSX3327, & AK7113 AutoKraft AC MK IV
Not Ranked     
Default leak

I thought that was it as well. Tooki t to two tire stores, they found nothing; but I replced valves both times as a precaution. I'll try the 100lbs and soapy water program. thanks JBo
Old 07-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

One of my Trigos developed a leak after 6 years. I got a hold of Lynn Park and he said to send it back. I instead had the tire taken off and I painted the inside with aluminum primer. It still leaks but at an acceptable rate. There was no hole or anything you could see on either side. All you could ever see was the soap bubbles forming above the aluminum. Love those cast aluminum wheels.

Bob

Last edited by Bob In Ct; 07-10-2007 at 08:35 PM..
Old 07-10-2007, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/SBC/Jag
Not Ranked     

Your nose is also VERY sensitive to air leaks. If you bump up the pressure and get your nose close to it you may be able to detect the leak without making a mess.
Then again, if the neighbors might be watching, the soap may be more prudent (See Ethel, I told you he was nuts !).

We come into this world naked, screaming, and covered in blood. With dedication and a little planning, you can go out the same way.

View my overflow Gallery (much more to come !)
Old 07-10-2007, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427S/C, KC/Pond aluminum 427/482 SO, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

The crack/hole bubbled the cleaner I used to prep it for the JB Weld. It's not leaking from the valve. I let all the air out and applied it over the hole, then mounted the tire/wheel back on. I'll fill it with air tomorrow and take it for a ride.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

I would have the wheel checked to make sure there is not a casting flaw of some sort (XRay). Then take it to a company that can properly repair aluminum rims (check yellow pages or ask tire stores recc'd). There are always ads in the back of the enthusiast magazines like Autoweek, Motor Trend, etc for this service. I had an off course excursion about 3 years ago and took a chunk the size of 2 fingers out of the rim and had it repaired with no visible damage for less than $150. I just do not trust JB Weld to hold a wheel together in a car I would be riding in.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

I agree with 427sharpe, Cracks never get smaller with time. I would hate to see what would happen if that rim let go when you were getting on it and loaded that rim (like when you go thru a turn).
I wonder if the company would replace it free of charge. It is kinda hard to crack a rim in that area, which would lead me to believe it is a defect.

Don't get me wrong JB weld has its place but not on my rim at 120mph.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Trigo, which was recently sold, does not replace the wheels. I looked into that. The other problem with getting a new wheel is that they are now painted a different color that they were a little while ago. Like I said before, the air goes right through the aluminum. A little porous I guess.

Bob
Old 07-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Send a message via AIM to Tinker51
Not Ranked     

I have to agree with some of the others. I would be careful about an obvious small flaw that may work it's way into a bigger flaw possibly at a very bad moment. Trigo is still around. http://trigowheels.com Contact them and see what they say.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile rim repair

Take it to a sheet metal shop that does aluminum welding. They should be able to repair your rim. It's an easy repair.
Mechanical fabrication shop also work with aluminum.

Dwight
Old 08-09-2007, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 331 Sportsman block, T5Z, 3.55 IRS, Fuel Safe cell
Not Ranked     

Check with your local BMW dealer on where they send their wheels for repair. That crack needs to be welded, and then refinished. I've seen both cast and forged wheels that you would swear were ready for the scrap heap be repaired as good as new. The reason I say use a BMW repair shop, is that they will only use a welding shop that is certified in wheel repair, at least that's the local policy. John