Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2008, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     
Default is not teflon tape good enough for pipe thread

had some coolant seaping around inlet and optional plugged inlet on water pump. both are 3/4" pipe thread and i used teflon tape. guess the teflon tape is not good enough with pipe thread, maybe go the rtv route. puddle formed over the course of couple days so it wasn't a gusher.

this is with npg so maybe it is a little more seapage prone or eats teflon.

nothing like the suspense between finding a puddle on the floor and discovering where it came from.
Jmikewalton likes this.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 758 KC Pond 482
Not Ranked     

I've used this stuff and it seems to work very well:
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...17374&D=317374
Old 11-03-2008, 08:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

As you know pipe threads are a course and tapered thread with an increasing interference fit. If a softer material plug (like brass) is being inserted into a cast iron water pump that also helps it seal. Teflon tape installed correctly does seal if no issue with either the male or female side has burrs or defects. I like the Teflon paste because it is easier to make a clean and neat install for me anyway.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Remove the plug and chase the female pipe threads with a tap. Clean plug threads with a wire wheel. If the threads are damaged, get another plug. Wrap teflon tape around threads tightly about 3 turns. Work the tape into the threads by turning the plug between your thumb and forefinger.

Most pipe plug leaks are due to poor quality threads or improper application of thread sealant.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i am going to use some locktite stuff on another radiator fitting i'm changing out and maybe these two. it's kinda funny, there is a couple stains from the same fittings from previous owner dyno use only, so it is not my technique i don't think. i've never seen this before or had problem with pipe threads leaking. the housing and one fitting are al, the plug is steel. guess i'll have to put the hammer to 'em.

thanks for the input.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector1 View Post
i am going to use some locktite stuff on another radiator fitting i'm changing out and maybe these two.
I would be real cautious about using Loctite on any radiator component. The tanks are aluminum/brass as well as the fittings. You could ruin either component if they are on too tight.

Better to use a liquid teflon sealant/paste (Permatex sells it in a tube).

-Dean

Last edited by RedBarchetta; 11-04-2008 at 06:56 AM..
Old 11-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

This may be a bit 'old school' but try pipe dope. It comes in a stick, looks like a fat crayon. Make sure both parts are clean and dry. Just rub it on the threads of the male part, till the threads are full then assemble and wipe off the excess. If you can, wait a day or so to let it firm up. Plumbers use this all of the time and it's rated for a variety of liquids and temperatures, usually listed on the label ... and it is also removable.

- Tim
Old 11-03-2008, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

locktite makes a thread sealant.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettestr View Post
As you know pipe threads are a course and tapered thread with an increasing interference fit. If a softer material plug (like brass) is being inserted into a cast iron water pump that also helps it seal. Teflon tape installed correctly does seal if no issue with either the male or female side has burrs or defects. I like the Teflon paste because it is easier to make a clean and neat install for me anyway.
Ditto. Teflon paste is the way to go.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 11-03-2008, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HI-TECH 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

I don't know about "putting the hammer to it". Tapered threads can easily split an aluminun hole. Maybe it already has if common sealers are not working.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era
Not Ranked     

loctite pst works well, but if it must not leak cotton string wicking and rector seal #5 pipe dope. get the wicking from commercial plumbing supply house, or old skool plumber.the larger the pipe size the less likley teflon alone will seal.especially if dissimilar metals.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: owned Kirkham for 11 years
Not Ranked     

Like Tim said,

The plumbers I knew that never had leaks used teflon tape for lubrication and also coated the threads with pipe dope.

Works for me too

Maurice
Old 11-04-2008, 04:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Teflon paste. It will never leak again.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR - 351 / 385 hp
Not Ranked     

A common problem with using teflon tape is putting it on backwards. Remember the leading edge should be on the male fitting so it doesn't catch in the female threads and unwrap.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

checked this morning, looks like the paste is holding. tape probably never had a chance, just scrubbed off as the fittings were installed.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Additional Question

What do you guys use on the fuel lines pipe threads?? Such as at the fuel pump ports.

Lee
Old 11-04-2008, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

We use Teflon pipe dope on race engines with satisfactory results. The problem with tape is if it's used improperly when sealing fuel or oil lines, i.e., taping the leading two threads, little pieces shear off and get into the system. This may plug oil galleys or fuel passages. Consequently,the FAA restricts it's use.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 11-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Try ARP Thread Sealant. Comes in white tube. I've used it on everything, coolant, fuel, and oil fittings, no leaks.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C
Not Ranked     

I've been fighting a water leak on my cheap pro comp water pump. Its been leaking around the water inlet 3/4" pipe. I thought tape was the best way to seal it but it didn't work. I even tried the thicker yellow gas tape and the thicker pink tape. It didn't work. After reading this thread I tired Teflon white pipe paste and that did the job. Thanks
Ron
Old 11-05-2008, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i'm still fighting a small coolant leak, about a 2" round drip overnight, size of a quarter in a few hours. i can't find it for the life of me. i clean it up and come back and there it is again. i feel around all the joints and can't find anything wet. someday. has to be around the electric water pump somewhere. kind of a phantom leak.