28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2001, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Texas registration - engine age

I'm still in the planning phase, and looking at engine options. I've read that some states require pre '75 engines to avoid emissions standards. Is this the case in Texas? Is there anything else I need to know about to avoid the wrath of the TX DOT and EPA?

Thanks,
Glenn
sapper_g@yahoo.com
Old 08-17-2001, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lots fo different cars that change all of the time
Not Ranked     
Smile AGE

ENGINE AGE IS NOT A QUESTION IN TEXAS. AS FAR AS EPA AND DOT, THEY ARE NOT INVOLVED IN REGISTERING AND TITLING YOUR CAR. COUNTY TAX OFFICES HANDLE THAT.

GET YOUR PAPERWORK FROM TITLES UNLIMITED, HAVE IT DONE AS A 65 OR 66, GET IT INSPECTED AND GET THE GREEN SHEET, FILL OUT AN APPLICATION FOR TEXAS TITLE OBTAINED FROM YOUR TAX OFFICE, COPY OF INSURANCE AND TAKE IT ALL TO THE TAX OFFICE.

IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM THEN EMAIL ME.

JAY
Old 03-01-2007, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft
Not Ranked     
Default new here

Saw your reply to a question that I have as well. I am waiting on my cobra to be delivered and would like to know how to register it? You mention Titles Unlimited??? This may sound dense, but who are they.

Would appreciate your help.

Thanks

Pete52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayscobras
ENGINE AGE IS NOT A QUESTION IN TEXAS. AS FAR AS EPA AND DOT, THEY ARE NOT INVOLVED IN REGISTERING AND TITLING YOUR CAR. COUNTY TAX OFFICES HANDLE THAT.

GET YOUR PAPERWORK FROM TITLES UNLIMITED, HAVE IT DONE AS A 65 OR 66, GET IT INSPECTED AND GET THE GREEN SHEET, FILL OUT AN APPLICATION FOR TEXAS TITLE OBTAINED FROM YOUR TAX OFFICE, COPY OF INSURANCE AND TAKE IT ALL TO THE TAX OFFICE.

IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM THEN EMAIL ME.

JAY
Old 03-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

Its not necessary to do anything in Texas but register it as the year it is. Texas allows replicas to be inspected as the year it represents...so you can have a 2007 but it only has to meet 1965 emissions.

matt
Old 03-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #867 gone....
Not Ranked     

Matt, I'm glad you've had the luck you've had, but I have not experienced the same. If it's registered after 1977, the car has a 13 digit VIN, and therefore has to meet emissions of the year of it's origin. My 2000 SPF was registered as a 2000 Superformance Cobra Replica Car. I've tried to have it inspected several times but was told it has to meet emissions. I finally found a friendly inspector (and you will too) that helped a brother out.
Glenn, don't let this limit your selection of motors. Get what you want. The details will work themselves out.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#499 351W with Webers
Not Ranked     

Okay, I am getting nervous now...I get back from Iraq in about two months and will have a new BDR waiting on me. I used to have a form from Texas used to register component cars, but have had a couple of computers crash since then and can't find it. I thought it had provisions/exemptions for emissions??? Also, I thought only certain counties had emissions requirements?

What will Titles Unlimited do for you, and what does it cost??

Gun Doc
Old 03-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #867 gone....
Not Ranked     

If it's registered as an "Assembled Vehicle" it's different - I think you're golden. I couldn't talk the clerk into registering mine as an assembled vehicle. Still working on this, more to come.
Gun Doc, you still scheduled for return at end of April? If sooner, March 22-25, see you in Round Rock. Otherwise, keep your head down and come back safe.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Still looking at late April...I should have the car by middle of May, I hope. I think it is in Florida now clearing customs, then it is off to Jay in CT for drive train installation, and finally ship to Texas, once I am there to accept it.

I am looking forward to meeting some of the Texas club members and doing some cruising!!!

Gun Doc
Old 03-02-2007, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Hey Gun Doc

Hey Gun DOC what unit are you with? Are you with 36th CAB? I Mob in June and head in country sometime in September. Looks like we will be near Bagdad Internation Airport. This why I'm waiting to return to get start on my next Cobra. When you hook up the Houston Cobra guys, watch your wallet!

Stay safe and keep your head down!

Gregg H

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 03-02-2007, 06:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

Unfortunately I think we lost the post from long long ago that covered getting your vehicle registered. The problem you are having mad is the inspection station....I remember people that had to bring a copy of the rules with them to the DPS to make sure it was done properly.

Search is my friend...I went back and found the post. This should give you the insight you need on registering....

Good News On Texas Inspections !!

Matt

Last edited by 427Aggie; 03-02-2007 at 06:04 AM..
Old 03-02-2007, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Our insurance lists the car as a '66 and that has been all we have needed to get the car inspected without hassle.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Greg,

No, I am with 25th CAB (+1-82 ARB) up in Tikrit. I know a lot of the guys in the 36th, as I used to be in 1-124th Cav in Austin...That ws a LONG time ago!!

Gun Doc
Old 03-02-2007, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default 36 Cab

They should be home in July. I guess we will meet at the 2009 Spring meet. Good Luck stay safe and well see you then

Gregg H

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 03-02-2007, 05:04 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

What Matt posted and linked to & Colleen posted.

The only problem in getting them inspected is the Inspection Station.There are a number of them that are uninformed that just need to be taught what is what.
In 2002 my Inspection Station didn't have a clue.My insurance card,at that time,said 2002 Lone Star Classic.He thought it had to be inspected as a 2002. No big deal,just how many of these cars is the average inspector going to ever see anyway.
I got him educated about Replicas with the help of the DPS.He passed that info along to other stations.Never a problem since.

Mine it titled and registered as :
Make - 2002 Lone Star Classic
Model - 1966 Cobra Replica

My Insurance Card now has :
1966 Lone Star Classic Cobra
Old 03-03-2007, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3881 427 FE w/2x4bbls and 4 spd toploader
Not Ranked     

Jay,
With all the negative press Titles Unlimited has accumulated over the years it might be safer for Glenn to drive his car with no plates or registration at all. Most DMV's view Titles Unlimited as a synonym for fraud. More flags will pop up than are in the front of the UN building in NYC. I wounder if the head of Titles Unlimited is still in jail? Evidently some (not all) folks out there got burned pretty badly using Titles Unlimited. Be careful with what you do when registering a composite vehicle.
RB
Old 03-04-2007, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Matt.
Based on what I see out there in notes, it seems to me that what the insurance lists the car as is somewhat key when getting it inspected and registered? Is it important to push for listing the car as an "assembled vehicle" I also looked at the post linbk that you had on another message concerning rules and DPS.

I called the LoneStar guys lastyearand they told me that there is no problem with this? Does anybody know a Houston insurance agent that has some experience with this and insures the car without major costs and confusion?

Pete52
Old 03-04-2007, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #491, Red with Black Stripes, 438 Windsor by Keith Craft Racing dynoed at 640hp, Street and Race Prepped.
Not Ranked     

Pete, call Mike Jacks 281-444-3388 for the insurance. He insures many of the cars in the Houston group including all of mine. Best prices with no restrictions.

James
281-804-5730
Watch out! You may get BIT!!!
Old 03-05-2007, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Holliday Cobra, 351 Windsor, Tremec 5 speed
Not Ranked     

sapper g,
had a problem getting my car inspected, (emissions test Montgomery County), after several phone calls went to the DPS office on Houston-Rosselyn in Houston and according to "Marv" if the engine block is older than 24 years you do not need an emissions test.
Good luck!
Larry Q.

Here's wishin' you blue skys and green lights!
Old 03-07-2007, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Texas registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUS BIT
Pete, call Mike Jacks 281-444-3388 for the insurance. He insures many of the cars in the Houston group including all of mine. Best prices with no restrictions.

James
James,
thanks for the info - I'll call Matt about the insurance. I am hoping to have the car by end of April. Do you happen to know where best to go to get the car registered and get it emission exempted? I live in Houston, Cypress to be exact (saw that you are here as well). Any thoughts or personal experience with this in the are?

I am a newbie and contrary to most of you guys know very little about cars, but looking forward to learning. I just love the look of this car. Anyway, any pointers about where to go for registration, servicing, etc. in the area would be greatly appreciated.

Peter
Old 03-07-2007, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #491, Red with Black Stripes, 438 Windsor by Keith Craft Racing dynoed at 640hp, Street and Race Prepped.
Not Ranked     

Peter, give me a call, I can help explain it somewhat...it's a little combursome.

James

281-804-5730
281-804-5730
Watch out! You may get BIT!!!