Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2015, 11:46 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

After reading this thread and the outpouring of true love and respect for the man, I am very moved. I wish I had met him as well and can only wish deepest sympathy for his family, both immediate and extended including all those that he touched in some way.

I am sure that God has been keeping a very special place for such a special man.

RIP Jay.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4100-Shelby 75th Anniversary Edition
Send a message via AIM to Cobra75
Not Ranked     

On behalf of the Capital Area Cobra Club, our condolences go out to Jay's family and friends.
Many of us share fond memories of Jay, a larger-than-life Man's Man.

Last edited by Cobra75; 01-03-2016 at 10:42 AM..
Old 12-30-2015, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

Sorry to hear this sad news, I had just talked with him a day or so before Christmas, he told me of the health issues he was dealing with but I had no idea,
My condolences to his family,
RIP.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 1884 5.0 E.F.I. NOS
Not Ranked     

What a loss. Truly a great guy. I'll miss him greatly.
Gordon Gross
Old 12-30-2015, 07:31 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Hoping that the procession is well represented by both our Cobra family and the military. He did a lot for both...
Old 12-30-2015, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKJACK View Post
A tragic loss, indeed. A good friend and a Brother.

One of my fondest memories of Jay was standing in the parking lot of some run down motel at one of the early DVSF London events with Jamo, Turk, Wade. Elder and a bunch of other guys - and, of course, our Fearless Leader Brent Mills. We had already consumed several bottles of Turkish Raki and no pain was being felt by any of the participants. We had been telling "War Stories" for several hours. (Most of which "Pookie" had clandestinely memorialized on magnetic medium).

Side bar here: Jay was one of the few - along with yours truly who actually LIKED RAKI. Jay and I had experience with that crap in Baghdad and Riyadh, and I first tasted it in Korea in 1952.

Just as the Eastern sky was beginning to light up Brent - who had been hanging in like a Champ- listing about 30 degrees to starboard - "demanded" that Jay pass him the Raki "one more time". Jay politely declined because two guys were already standing VERY close to Brent who was really "glazed over". (I KNEW he was drunk because I could see TWO of him). When Jay took another swig from the bottle Brent shouted at him, "Give me that G.D. bottle you S.O.B. or you'll NEVER post on Club Cobra again". That came across as the funniest damn thing any of us had ever heard. Grown men were collapsing in tears from laughing. Someone asked how Brent was going to get home as we were all leaving the next day. Jay and I offered to "Wrap him on 'bubble wrap' and Fed-Ex him directly to the Betty Ford Clinic".

Jay was one of the funniest, most sincere, honorable and brightest guys I have EVER known. The world has lost a lot of its color and depth and meaning with Jay's leaving Its' getting hard to see the screen now - kinda blurred. Its just passed noon and I'm going to toast my friend with a large dose of "Bourbon and Creek Water" and remember good times.

You know - - Jay is Not Gone. He'll Never be "Gone". Sure - he's in a different, better place. He's looking down on us and wondering what the hell all the fuss is about. BUT, he's Not Gone. As long as we remember our friend - - as long as we smile when we recall his grace and humor and friendship he'll NEVER be Gone.

But wherever he is now - - -

** Let the track surface be smooth.
** Let the corners be tight.
** Let the car be quick.
** Let the beer be cold and the Raki warm.
** Let the sun be shining.
** And PLEASE - - Let his driving improve so he can finally quit lying about
how FAST he is.

Farewell my Friend, my Brother, and So Long - But Never - Never Good bye.

"Save me a seat Big Jay Bird".

BLACKJACK
Well hell, Blackjack...we've been enjoying some old pics and memories of that night over at Gasholes since the news of Jay's moving on...everything exactly as you described it above. Turk and I made sure we had the Raki that year as payback for you two loons making us snort tequila the year before...how could we know you basturds actually liked the stuff.

You two breaking poor Brent's cherry...

Poor Pat Buckley just kept looking down at the ground the rest of the night after snorting the Raki...our English Gashole Wilf (he of the purdy white ass bared atop the Quaker State) decided we were all a bunch of barbarians after he did it, Turk started stuttering (but who could tell with his accent), our cop Crilly was laid up with Lola (the love doll that rode across America with him)...and assorted others were wiped out as well.

I stayed with it long enough to watch you and Jay laughing with satisfaction at all the Gasholes you'd done in...a job well done.

Totally agree with you...that was a damn fine time. Glad we had it.

Last edited by Jamo; 12-30-2015 at 10:50 PM..
Old 12-31-2015, 02:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Those are great memories of a special person. Thanks to all of you for sharing them with the rest of us.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-03-2016, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Just got home from Dallas and I can tell you that both military and cobra interest were well represented. We all knew Jays passion for the Cobra community but what most of us didn't know was that Jay was awarded the Silver Star for valor and bravery during a rescue mission of a downed pilot and co pilot in which 9 of his squad were ambushed and Jay was wounded while carrying the pilot to safety. Jay never mentioned his accolades. After the funeral Richard Rawlings of Fast and Loud opened up his shop (TV Set) for a gathering of Jays friends complete with a full bar. Good stories were told by many.

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 01-03-2016, 03:25 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Glad to hear it and the great stories. A tip of the hat to Richard for doing that too!l)
Old 01-03-2016, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

For those of you on Facebook there is a tribute page for Jay...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/622407467927299/
Old 01-06-2016, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKII - 460 Crate with Cobra Jet heads, 750 Quick Fuel Carb, and Edelbrock Torker II Intake port matched to heads
Not Ranked     

I first met Jay at RNG in St Louis in 2008. It was my first time on the track and he seemed to know this, apparently my driving skills weren't impressive. As you know, Jay was the flagman at the start/finish line and he stopped me on the way in to the pits to let me know I wasn't turning my head to look through the turns. He gave me many pointers that day that I still remember and use. His dedication to Operation Comfort was beyond anything I've ever seen. I remember at the RNG banquet, he matched the total of all contributions from ALL of the driver's combined himself! He was a giving man, whether it be of his time, his money or his wisdom. He will be missed at the TCC meet this year. Rest in Peace Jay.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

I've been offline focused on other things and I just heard this today. RIP Jay old friend!
Old 05-21-2018, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 1966 Cobra with a true Ford 427-side-oiler motor. It is a factory built reproduction of the famous AC Cobra built by Carroll Shelby in the 60's
Not Ranked     

I am so honored to have called Jay my friend and I only knew him for a short period back in 2004, when I won a Shelby Cobra and Flyin Freddie was ripping me for being a "troll" to this site. Jay drove down from Dallas and verified everything and helped prove Freddie wrong that I was a legit new Cobra owner. Freddie and Jay were such good friends to me and my new experience I got lunch from Freddie and they both signed a Club Cobra shirt I still have after 14 years. I'll never forget meeting his stature of a man when we first met, he was friendly from the word Hello, I'm Jay. I'm sorry I am late in finding out this news as I had left the club for a few years, but I am back and this time I am bringing my farther in law as we both now have Cobra's. So I look forward to be able to meet some if not all of you on the road here in Texas.

Thanks for being so kind and welcoming Jay, it's made a lasting impression.

DownTown