• 2 Post By dallas_
  • 1 Post By cycleguy55
  • 1 Post By Alfa02
  • 3 Post By bwcobra15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2018, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     
Default T.I.T. ALERT ~ Its time to Fire Up HM-2008!

(just posted this on the TCC-DFW facebook group, so for you non-FB'ers here ya go... )

Calling the Texas Installation Team! After six years of building, and countless years of dreaming, I'm about ready to fire up my KC 427W engine in my cobra build for the FIRST TIME!

I need you guys to come down to my little ol place in Midlothian, Texas (just 30 miles south of downtown Dallas or Ft Worth) on Saturday December 8th at 12 noon to help me with any advice, wrenching, priming, timing, checks, double checks... Everything is mostly done, wiring is done, everything is connected. I just need to put in water, oil and gas. I have plenty of tools, a timing light and a fire extinguisher Any thing else? Bring it please...

I'll even provide beer, pizza, bbq or some such bribes. I gotta get this thing on the road and ready before April 2019! If you are able to make it, email me directly at bobworley15@gmail.com for my home address. There is plenty of parking space so if the weather is favorable bring those cobras! Lets break in the neighbors the right way!
MFE III, Seagull81 and Danr55 like this.

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 11-28-2018, 03:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bob,

Good luck with the first start. After all you have did you shouldn't have any major problems. Just be sure that after it has ran for a bit you go over all of your fuel connections and make sure they are still tight. And having others there to watch when you fire it up is a very wise thing as they can spot any leaks or anything else quickly before they could cause a problem.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 11-28-2018, 05:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1950, Roush 402R, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Bob you're going to have a great day! The one thing I would do is make sure you prime the engine first before you start it. Like Ron says make sure you have no leaks especially fuel! Re check all fittings, fluids and connections after it has been run.

Enjoy your day and let us know how it went. A video of the start up would be awesome!
Old 11-30-2018, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Not Ranked     

Well, I appreciate the support from California, and Canada, at least...

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 11-30-2018, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcobra15 View Post
(just posted this on the TCC-DFW facebook group, so for you non-FB'ers here ya go... )

Calling the Texas Installation Team! After six years of building, and countless years of dreaming, I'm about ready to fire up my KC 427W engine in my cobra build for the FIRST TIME!

I need you guys to come down to my little ol place in Midlothian, Texas (just 30 miles south of downtown Dallas or Ft Worth) on Saturday December 8th at 12 noon to help me with any advice, wrenching, priming, timing, checks, double checks... Everything is mostly done, wiring is done, everything is connected. I just need to put in water, oil and gas. I have plenty of tools, a timing light and a fire extinguisher Any thing else? Bring it please...

I'll even provide beer, pizza, bbq or some such bribes. I gotta get this thing on the road and ready before April 2019! If you are able to make it, email me directly at bobworley15@gmail.com for my home address. There is plenty of parking space so if the weather is favorable bring those cobras! Lets break in the neighbors the right way!
I certainly can't make it, but will live vicariously through your exploits!

Best wishes for the first start - and future endeavours (Canadian / British spelling).
Old 11-30-2018, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Bob, sounds like a momentous occasion, I'm in!
bwcobra15 and Ron61 like this.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

I trust one of the assembled throng will record the event for posterity and make the video available on CC. Sure hoping!
bwcobra15 likes this.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:31 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

All of us PNW member's will be there in spirit. Good luck, and yes please a video. Cheers Tom.
bwcobra15 likes this.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     

Well ?
Old 12-01-2018, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulProe View Post
Well ?
One more week, Paul. December 8th. I'm still tidying up some final wiring.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well the forecast for Saturday is looking rather crappy, but oh well ... i'm forging ahead. Getting closer to buttoning up the wiring and battery.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Ready for lift off!

The last of the fluids have been added and topped off, just waiting to press the "ignite" button on Saturday!

Old 12-07-2018, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

You are very prepared. Most people forget the blinker fluid.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3 #1133, Ford Racing 306
Not Ranked     

In case of an emergency, you may want to stow a can of dehydrated water in your trunk.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Success! We had liftoff on Saturday despite the really nasty cold drizzling rain, and a very good crowd made it, thanks Guys!

Russ from San Antonio came up and helped me get started. We first set the #1 piston on top dead center, then marked the distributor and rotor position with a sharpee. I then removed the distributor and manually ran the oil pump with his priming tool, and I saw that the oil pressure jumped up to 80-90 psi which was encouraging. Then once the crowd arrived, including my dad and son, I ran the oil primer once more, then installed the distributor back in place at the marks I previously made. I then filled the carb float bowls with fuel up to half way in the sight glass and it was time to roll it out and try to start.

We pushed the car out to the driveway and everyone gathered around. I jumped in anxious to push the "boom!" button. Hit the starter and the engine turned over and over and over and no fire. Not a spit or sputter. Then someone yelled they saw a fuel leak in the fuel rail. It was minor, and I jumped out to grab a wrench. As I came back he said "found your problem, bobby" - I had forgot to plug the distributor wire back in. Duh!

After tightening the fuel fitting, I jumped back in, hit hit button and this time......

Yippee! Ain't Life Grand?!

My brother in law came with his multi-camera video set up and took a lot of high quality video. He is editing it up this week and I will publish it as soon as I get it.
jwoodard, cobrakiwi and Seagull81 like this.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default new video!

AND.... here is the final long version video produced and edited by my brother-in-law .... enjoy!! Watch on a big screen and turn the volume UP!!

Old 12-19-2018, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would have had a timing light at the start of the video.

I would also not free rev the engine with your friends body in line with the drive belt and pulleys.

Engine sounds nice.

Gary
Old 01-21-2019, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Maiden voyage

This past Friday my dad and I bled the clutch and the brakes and I took it out for its maiden voyage! All went well. (yes I know: take it out of gear first. Yes I know: their is cardboard on the radiator)

I have a small oil leak at the oil pressure sender; I need to remove it and try to seal the threads.

I also found I have a few brake fluid leaks; two of the girling cans are leaking at the bottom - this is really going to be a pain to fix. May have to bend some more 1/4" hard line.