14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2002, 06:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SHELBY GT500...slightly modified. Former owner of CSX4758..a GEM of a ride!
Not Ranked     

ROAD TRIP
Old 12-18-2002, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3200, Carbed 351W, IRS, TKO600 RR
Not Ranked     
Angry Call their bluff......

Call their bluff......
FFR3200 Comp - NASA #27 (ST-1)
TCC President '03
www.cuttingedgeracing.com
Old 12-18-2002, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33849 (currently 460)
Not Ranked     

Just to answer some questions,

The extra charge was to block off part of their parking lot and the only people that could park there would be from our group. As for security, I don't know.

Is the hotel trying to maximize profits....you bet your butt they are.

Only a few hotels had this as an option and they have all but been eliminated.

I didn't care either way, I drive my car so parking for me won't be a problem no matter where we go. That is why I asked for the input from people that use trailers.

At this point I don't think it will be an issue. But keep it in mind that in the future this could become an issue as the club grows and the number of trailers increases. If they don't tell you up front that you are paying for it, you will see it in higher per room fees. (it shows on some of the bids I got back).

Everyone needs to keep in mind that the biggest hurdle to planning this event is trailer parking so all options will be looked at and those that might work will be communicated for feed back. If you have good ideas that we may not have thought of, please get them out there because we want this to go as smoothly as possible and ease and the saftey of trailer parking is KEY!!!
Old 12-18-2002, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #770, Stroked 351W (393 cubes) w/ Tremec TKO-600, 3.27 Torsen locker, 'Hi-Tech' Blue w/ White Stripes, Wilwoods, Bilstein coil overs...and a big ear-to-ear grin!
Not Ranked     
Cool Thanks, Dennis....

...I really appreciate what you're going through while searching for a hotel to hold the event. If I came off too harshly, it was not my intention to cause any additional grief to you or anyone else, and you have my apologies. But, having clarified my position, let me say the following.

I've done the same thing for Porsche Club events while serving as president of our local chapter for three years during it's inception. Whenever hotels tried to charge additional money for parking trailers, or blocking parking for our toys, I always challenged them over it. I explained that use of their parking facilities was implied with room rentals, just like it was with every other guest they would have there that weekend. If they charged every guest for parking, then they could charge our group and we would pay it...no problem. But if no other guest was paying for parking, then we wouldn't either.

If they said they would charge for blocking off parking for us, I'd counter that there was only labor involved with actually putting up and removing the barriers to prevent civilian parking in those blocked off areas. We would be willing to pay $25 extra to the hotel to do that, but that's it...one time, $25.00. And I'd negotiate that, as well...they put it up, and we'd take it down before we left. If push came to shove, I'd ask them to tell me where they would block off parking, and offer to block it off ourselves.

If they insisted on charging for parking in a blocked off area, then I'd challenge them on their 'Park at your own risk' wording in their implied contract with each room rental. If they blocked it off and wanted to charge for it, then they had to proved "adequate security, 24 hours daily, while we were registered". After all, if they're telling us where to park, how to park, and charging us for it...then they are responsible for any theft loss or other damage as may occur while we do their bidding.

If none of this sounded like it was going to work, I'd remind them that we were renting rooms that would normally go vacant over the weekend and we would be eating in their restaurant and spending money in their business...and that revenue alone should be worth something to them. I'd also remind them they weren't the only choice in the hotel business...if they wanted our business, then they needed to work with us toward a Win-Win situation.

Virtually everytime I took this approach, I was able to negotiate either no charge parking, or blocked off parking with their security patrolling the lot for a small fee.

Bottom line...NEGOTIATE....everything they offer is negotiable. Hope this helps us all...!
WARNING: The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the management, editors, or owners. We welcome differing opinions, and recognize our responsibility to offer differing views. May cause drowsiness, restlessness, or irritability. Do not operate heavy machinery while using this product. Void in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, or where prohibited, licensed, or regulated by law. We reserve the right to limit quantities. Offer good while supplies last. No substitutions allowed. Please observe posted speed limits. Professional driver on closed course. Do not try this at home. Please wear your seatbelt at all times. Close cover before striking. Use at own risk. Please dispose of properly. Drink responsibly. Prolonged exposure to vapors has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Do not use this product of you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling fumes can be dangerous. Always wear safety glasses. In case of eye contact, flush with water and seek immediate medical attention. For occasional use only as directed. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Discontinue use if rash develops. If symptoms persist for more than three days, seek professional medical attention. Hearing protection required beyond this point. Danger: Hot surfaces. Use as directed. Proceed at own risk. Caution: Filling may be hot. Please don't litter. Actual results may vary. It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner other than as intended. Do not use this product if you have an enlarged prostate, or have difficulty urinating.
Old 12-22-2002, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1358 (Sold)
Not Ranked     

We are still waiting for hotel management responses to our requests. We should have some answers in a few days.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Question Vendor Contacts?

I'm throwing this out to everyone and want some opions.

I was wondering who is in favor or would like us to contact some of the Cobra manufacturers and see if they would like to attend?

So My question is this. Should we send out invitations to other vendors. Like Lone star, Midstates, F5, ERA, Unique, Superforamce and the others? Invite them to attend and
show off their products. Those northern companies might want a chance to come down south for the winter and experiance some good old fashion Texas hospitality.

We have Lone Star in Dallas and Doug Reid showed up last year.

This just extends are family alittle farther.

Gregg H

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 12-23-2002, 07:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

Just my opinion no one elses....we don't want to change this thing into a vendor fest. We haven't allowed vendors to sell items and we shouldn't....Doug comes to where the cars are...doesn't push things and is just plain fun to be around. If we have vendors that we want to send invites to and tell them that if they have a finsihed car they want to participate in and use as a show piece for people that are interested in their cars I don't mind.....to have them come to purely sell stuff...nah not interested.

Matt
2006 Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition
2003 Hummer H1 OpenTop
2003 Hummer H1 Wagon
Old 12-23-2002, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks MATT!

Thanks Matt,

This is the stuff I was wondering about. Keep the comments coming. This was just some thoughts I had so I toss them out into the open.

Gregg H

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 12-23-2002, 08:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

Hey we appreciate your help with this. You guys work your butts off and we do know that.

Matt
2006 Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition
2003 Hummer H1 OpenTop
2003 Hummer H1 Wagon
Old 12-23-2002, 12:36 PM
The Royal Rhubarb
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #495,427SO, Stroked
Send a message via AIM to ERA600hp
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down Greg

NO!! NO!!

No Vendor's!!

Any Questions??

The Royal Rhubarb
Old 12-23-2002, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Tom What are you trying to say?

Tom,

Do I put you down as a maybe You shouldn't be so vocal about your feelings Just something I wanted to throw out to the group.

Merry Chrsitmas

Gregg H

Old 12-23-2002, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Location: Right in the middle of the beautiful Texas Hill Country - Boerne, Texas,
Send a message via Yahoo to Blake Olson
Not Ranked     

What's wrong with vendors? Man, that's how we work "Texas Cobra Club Discounts" with these guys.....Plus, many times they will donate "door prizes", etc...

"Charlie Don't Surf!"
Old 12-23-2002, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Location: Right in the middle of the beautiful Texas Hill Country - Boerne, Texas,
Send a message via Yahoo to Blake Olson
Not Ranked     

Gruene Update:

Just spoke with the Gristmill, and they would LOVE for us to have our lunch there. They can accommodate up to 300 people.

We have two options. We can go completely "dutch" or we can organize a "party menu". That will give people 3-4 choices for a set price which includes drink, salad, gratuity, etc.

advantages: Party Menu: food comes faster and we are in and out.

dutch: going to take longer.

I am working the parking issue with the owner of Rockin' R River Rafts. They have a brand new asphalt parking lot that will accomodate up to 500 cars. And they are closed in February. Will update as soon as I find out.

blake

"Charlie Don't Surf!"
Old 12-23-2002, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC - #463 - 427 SOHC
Not Ranked     

Dennis,

Okay so here's the low down as of this afternoon. We have two sites that are available to us with adequate parking.

Site 1 - Holiday Inn Express - Hwy 183 @ IH 35 North.

Site 2 - Hampton Inn Suites - North MoPac @ Braker.

Room prices are comparable within $10.00 or so at both locations, with the Hampton Inn Suites being the higher priced rooms - rooms are available in blocks to handle our needs.
Note that the Hampton Inn is 'suites' for a few dollars more versus the Holiday Inn rooms. Hampton Inn has a larger parking area available to us and is more readily accessible to the Origin garage - area is somewhat nicer, restaurants close by, etc.

The approval for parking lot use is not going to be obtained until 12/27/02 - the holidays have the people with the say so on this issue out until then - approval looks favorable.

Since neither of the parking areas are motel parking areas, we will have to make our own arrangements for security at either location - approximately $ 17.00 per hour.

I am in favor of the Hampton Inn Suites area, myself. I will be calling back to both venues on the 27th to verify the parking arrangements and we can block the rooms at that time..........

Now its time to hear from the rest of the club - what do you think??? Where do you want to stay??? Are you willing to pay $ 10.00 more for a suite as opposed to just a room???

TALK TO ME!!!

Dennis, you can reach me by phone Home: 512-693-9130.
Mobile: 512-771-1059.
Call me if you want to discuss any of this in person.

Dee Walters/Cammer

Last edited by Cammer; 12-23-2002 at 02:12 PM..
Old 12-23-2002, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks Cammer!!!

Thanks for checking out the hotels!!!!

For me, I would just as soon save the 10 bucks because if things are as they have been the past few years, I spent very little time in my room during the event...almost none. It's just a place to hold my stuff and sleep when the partiers wear me out.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Vendors

As for vendors...

I don't have a problem with them. They have been there every year anyway and have not seemed to cause a problem. Some of them even gave us money or threw us a party so I don't see an issue.

As this group grows, the event will evolve so change is going to happen. I would bet that this is the last year we will fit at origin so that's sure to change as well.

As long as we can get everyone together Saturday morning, Show the cars, get the cool picture and do a cruise, I'm happy.

I know there are a few people that mentioned having something else to do because they really did not want to go on the cruise, maybe the vendors could fill that gap.

Maybe if we had Vendors set up at the ending point they could help or even take care of the Saturday night party in the future. and the club members could eat drink and look at stuff for upgrades to the toys. I really don't know how many would show up anyway.

With car count pushing toward 100 and people count closing in on 300, we can no longer keep our thought patterns small. The growth and direction of the TCC is one of the challenges the new prez will have. Stay tuned to a completley different thread on that issue after Christmas.

WE ARE IN THE BIG TIME BOYS....WE'VE MADE IT TO THE SHOW!!!

Just my thoughts,

el Aggie presidente
Old 12-23-2002, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Menu Party!

Blake,

I'm up for a menu party. My only no go is that the wife hates fish. So we should keep it simple.

1 beef dish
1 chicken dish
1 veggie dish

Ice tea
water
beer on your own

This is my .02 worth.

Things are falling into place quite nicely.

Gregg H

Old 12-23-2002, 04:25 PM
The Royal Rhubarb
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #495,427SO, Stroked
Send a message via AIM to ERA600hp
Not Ranked     
Talking Greg

Feelings have nothing to do with it!

I don't want someone trying to sell me something when I'm trying to vist with freinds I only get to see ONCE a year!!

Doug Reid is a GREAT example, It doen't matter to him what you own, he's there to have a GOOD time!!

Now this is just how I fell about it, what ever the rest of the club wants is OK with me??!!

If we end up going to Gruene for lunch could we combine part of the porker run on the way!!

Lets not play TOOOOO much!!

Would like the opportunity to vist more, great to meet at the garage, be there for a while then head to Gruene say about 11AM, leisure drive down, and part of the porker run. Park, visit some more!!

Head back to the hotel, park, Visit some more!!

The Royal Rhubarb
Old 12-23-2002, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1358 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Talking Poker Run!

No problem having a poker run as part of the cruise. We'll factor it in.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Cool Cammer, et. al.,...........

Thanks for checking out the hotels. I'm in favor for selecting the hotel where we have the best parking, as $10 more a night is no big deal. After all, the parking lot is where we'll spend more time than anywhere else.

Just my $.02 worth.

Jim