24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 12-23-2002, 06:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #586, 535hp.460
Not Ranked     
Wink Here comes my .02 cents worth!

OK, here's my opinion!
1. Vendors is a no!! I do not ever want this to become commercial, and do not want to look forward to "looking for help" from anyone except the membership that supports our group. My feeling is that we will loose control of the event, and I also believe this could damage our club in that we will loose focus of what makes the event what it is...THE PEOPLE!!!!
Hotel, $10 +/- makes no difference to me, but parking lot space does!! I still think the parking situation HAS to take priority over everything else!
Lunch, my feeling about lunch is about TIME, just like Hotel is about parking. It seems to me that unless we plan on a 2-3hour lunch stop(UGH!), we will almost require a set menu that can be prepared in advance with a $/person charge with tip included. The one thing I am VERY against is a long drive(or any drive) back to our Saturday night hotel parking lot party AFTER DARK!! We had some people not familiar with the Austin area get a bit lost last year and have an extended trip back, so whatever we plan, lets make sure we return back at least an hour prior to sunset just for safety's sake.
I also think a shorter poker run is better if our goal is %participation.
Face it, as we grow in numbers, ae have to adjust our time back accordingly.
Also, some of you may not be aware, but Doug Reed has been/is also a founding member of this club from the start, and has contributed money ($200 cash for the first two years and the prize of the Shelby Regisry). He came last year as a MEMBER, not a vendor!
Ok, that's it for me, and I think I am going to go lay down now and take a couple of pills to take the edge off ( I had an Umbillical Hernia repaired this morning at about 8:30 am, and I am really moving slow!)
Oh yeah, MERRY CHRISTMAS BROTHERS!!
John Russell
TCC Founding member, with a car in attendance every year...so far!!
Old 12-23-2002, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33849 (currently 460)
Not Ranked     

Everybody thanks for all your feedback but we need more!!!!!

I can always count on the Dallas group for good and vocal feedback (thanks guys) but where is everyone else????

Houston, Austin & San Antonio, ...wake up and lets hear your ideas on the whole shoot'in match. The more people talking about this the better idea we have of what the club members want.

This club has always moved in the direction that was voiced by the membership and I don't see a need to change that policy.

Lets hear what you have to say!!!!

el Aggie presidente
TCC Founding member, with a car in attendance every year that I had one...so far!!
Old 12-23-2002, 07:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, 351 Cleveland, Dual Quads, C6
Not Ranked     

Many good points have been brought out so far. I don't want to spend too much time eating (Hell, I can eat anytime and all year round) The bulk of the time should be spent visiting with others with a nice cruise during the day. If weather turns off cold, we may have to set something on fire! (Just kidding) Trailer parking is important, as I can't seat the whole family in my Cobra. As far as vendors are concerned, no problem if they are all like Doug Reed! Don't want a bunch of "Super Salesmen" hanging around. However, the bulk of the decisions need to be made by the Austin bunch. After all, they are the host group and will have to do most of the preliminary leg work. I would love to help, but distance makes me of little use. So what this all boils down to is I really don't give a s--t what happens. My family and I are coming and we are going to have a good time. I am so looking forward to it!
Old 12-24-2002, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Custom Built Classic Motor Carriage T 5 Z tranny still in the making ..
Not Ranked     

Thank you Kount Z
I think the vender idea is a good one they could be set up in a designated area and if you don't want to here a salesman speak YOU DON'T HAVE TO WALK OVER THERE . This would be a great opportunity to get New members and more cobras .I do also believe this would help people make a choice of brands some of us cant fly all over the world to look at some or all the makers of these fine cars .I do believe very strongly in leaving it up the host of the event to make that option .That's my 2 cents as for eating I have done $ bass torments and eating sandwiches and cheetos all day long so no one has to serve me ore make my food .Having Fun and Safety comes first for me .The one thing I dislike at the Austin event there is not enough time to admire and talk to all the Great people in the club .But to each their own .

T
Old 12-24-2002, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John Russell is right. We can eat any time all duing the year. Lets have 1 menu and get on with it. The planning of this event is stagnant and repetitive. Make a damn decision and get on with it. We normally have this done already, as most non- self employeed people need to make long range plans. I will gladly plan this for next year and can assure you that it will be done well in advance!! Our Tulsa meet and the Shelby event go off flawlessly every year and they are to be modeled after. Dennis M. get on with it and stop asking for more input!! It will be the middle of January in two weeks and nothing is set in stone. Oh, and as a founding member myself, we will never change the Tx. Cobra Club Logo. It's beautiful, it's authentic, patches made for it, and a heck of a lot of planning went in to it . Change the dateat the bottom of the T-shirt if you guys want a yearly shirt.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

JBAIRD, if you check the archives the hotel was NOT firmed up until 12/31 last year. So the statement "We normally have this done already" is not correct!

Yes, each and everyone of us could plan this ourselves and to hell with the thoughts of the rest of the club but that is not how we have done things and that is not how I think we should do things.

The date has been set so self employeed or not people can make plans for being off.

A lot of time is being taken by the Austin guys to make sure the trailer parking is good. We have had a few complaints in the past and are trying to cover all the bases: ability to drive through, no backing, level, security ect...

As for the logo, if you read the post that followed I stated that what I meant was the design of the shirt and not the "club Logo" Thats a dead issue.

Many of us are Founding members but that does not give any one of us the right to dictate that something will "never" be changed. I happen to agree with you that we don't need to change the club logo but that does not mean it will never happen.

Back to the vendor issue John Russell made a good point in that Doug Reed is a Founding Member (I knew that ) The fact that he is a member and a vendor shows that vendors don't have to be a bad thing. His membership in the club and his attendance at last years meet gave some of us non-superformance owners a chance to meet him and see just want a great guy he really is.

I think asking vendors to come and drive with us and hang out like Doug did last year would be a good idea. I don't think anyone wants an agressive sales person working our group, but if they want to bring down some of their cars and drive and have a drink with us great. It will give us a chance to develope relationships with them and also pick their brains.

I'll talk to you guys after Christmas. Everyone have a Merry Christmas and enjoy the time with the family.

Last edited by Dennis Mosley; 12-24-2002 at 12:49 PM..
Old 12-24-2002, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Post OK - my 2 cents

I guess it depends on how you define "Vendors". Personally, I don't see the need for a trade show or carnival atmosphere to be created at out annual Austin event. Don't see the need for a display booth for the latest model of Craftsman tools & wrenches, Mustangdonorparts.com or Bob's Paint and Body. Hate to see a PepBoy display with a a 20 ft inflatable Manny, Moe and Jack!! Also don't see the need to complicate with a vendor sponsorship. The whole weekend only $20 and the best bang for the buck for my entertainment.

Now, if you are talking pure "COBRA VENDORS/MANUFACTURERS" - personally I would support this and can not see how this would be a problem. If the Smith Brothers wanted to bring a mock up/frame of their Daytona Coupe - why not? If David Kirkham wanted bring one of his cars all the way from Utah to generate some sales interest in Texas - why not? There is nary a FIA body in TCC - if ERA wanted to promote this 289 body car and willing truck a display from CT - who would it really hurt? If Southern Automotive wanted to try to sell some engines in Texas - does not bother me. I think Parham even has some portable engine display that he uses in trade shows (I think I remember something on "Bitten by the Snake). These are all proven Vendors active ClubCobra and TCC circles. Personally, I would spend time at any/all of these fictional displays and still have time to visit with the people I only see once a year.

Also, consider this - there will some attending who don't know a sole, but like Cobras and would love the opportunity to talk face to face with ERA, SPF, Unique, Kirkham, FFR, etc.

Finishline has been a great supporter of our group and our Austin meeting for three years. They have donated thousands for door prizes and the drawings are a lot of fun. What if Paula were to call Dennis next week and says - "Well, this year we have decided to come to Austin and will be donating our normal door prizes and would like to set up a table to sell some Cobra stuff to defray our travel expenses". Do we say - Sorry - NO VENDORS - but your donations are welcome?

Just some things to consider - Bottom line - the area vendors who would want to come - we probably would not want and be more trouble than they are worth. The COBRA Vendors who we might like to come - probably don't need to come as the good ones already have waiting lists several months out.

Dennis - glad to see progress on the Hotel - the Hampton Inn would be my choice - close to the Origin meeting location and easy access to 183. Their web site also has a picture of some hot babe in the hot tub in a blue two piece and big B BS. Can somebody drive by and see if she is still there??? Thanks for the planning work so far - See ya in Austin.

http://texascobraclub.com
Old 12-25-2002, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC - #463 - 427 SOHC
Not Ranked     

I went back by the Hampton Inn location yesterday just to make sure that the parking would be adequate, ingress and egress were workable...I think that this location will work best - access is from the 1325 exit in Round Rock - south on MoPac to the motel area - parking seems to be more than adequate. Since Ed and I have done most of the leg work in locating these sites - I think that we will probably firm up this site for this year after talking about the availability of the parking area with the motel coordinator on Friday - at the risk of over stepping my authority, Dennis, if there are no objections to me doing this, then we will post phone numbers and such on Friday - if it doesn't work out to your satisfaction then you can '*****' at me when you get here!!!

Dee Walters/Cammer
Old 12-25-2002, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1358 (Sold)
Not Ranked     

Cammer and I bit the bullet on the hotel decission.

As for the poker run cruise, I'll be planning the trip to the Gristmill. As soon as I can drive the route and get mileage and pit stops on paper, I'll post a map for everyone.

Blake and I will lock down the parking area. As for the food issue, everyone can pay as you go.

I'll plan the trip to start at noon, be in Greune by 2pm, head back to the hotel by 3pm so that everyone gets back before the sun sets (5pm).

Anyone wanting to talk about this can call me at 512-288-0446.
Old 12-25-2002, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Hampton Inn is a great choice!

As far as vendors go;

I'd support as long as they are there as a participate. That's the way Doug Reed has supported us and remember, I too I'm a vendor participate, representing Ford Motor Company and also donating door prizes every year. If some of the other manufactures want to bring a new car to show/drive and offer some door prizes or cocktail party, fine with me. I don't support a vendor exhibit show, leave that to DVIII.

Lunch!

Everyone seems to be hung up on where to eat lunch. Last time I saw everyone we all looked liked we could pass on lunch. Can't we just grab a burger here or there on the poker run and skip any huge lunch gathering and save that for dinner back at the hotel parking lot?

Looks like it is coming together, Tom remember to order sun again this year!
Old 12-25-2002, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default great job

cammer and Ed great job!

I'll let you guys take it from here it seems that the ball is rolling. Keep up the good work.

Let me know if you need anything else.
Old 12-25-2002, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gary; My thoughts were to have a cruise break (about an hour) in Greune. Everyone can do their own thing (eat, shop, what ever). I'll plan a return trip (via Canyon Lake) that is different from the first leg. There are many routes to take in the Texas Hill Country. We should be cruising for about four hours total round trip with pit stops in small towns. I was planning dinner back at the hotel(s) after the poker run.

Last edited by Ed Csoltko; 12-25-2002 at 09:50 AM..
Old 12-25-2002, 01:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #586, 535hp.460
Not Ranked     
Talking What a Christmas Present!!! Thanks,Austin!!

Gentlemen,
Please take this "WAY TO GO, AUSTIN" and Buda for this wonderful Christmas present! I think you guys now have an extremely workabke plan, and the Hampton Inn is absolutely GREAT for me. I also think the drive to Gruene is a perfect plan for a drive in beautiful country. Ed, Cammer, Greg & all, thanks for putting in the time and pulling the basics together . Dennis, thanks for providing the grease and the push to get things moving.
As usual, I expect TCC 2003 to set new standards and raise the bar once again!
Merry Christmas and A safe and Happy New Year.
John Russell
Old 12-25-2002, 01:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Hey, great job guys.........

I assume as soon as details are finalized with the Hampton this Friday, reservation info will be posted. As usual, I'm looking forward to a terrific event!

Jim
Old 12-25-2002, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to jkbedell
Not Ranked     

Looks like ya'll have much of this under control. Looking forward to seeing everyone again this year. My t-shirt person is no longer in business so I am sorry I cannot help in that area. I do still have about 5 shirts left over. My media contact at the TV station no longer works there either, so I don't see us getting that attention as well.
I am starting my own business venture this year. If parking becomes an issue for anyone, I have parking available for many trailers on my place of business just south of Georgetown on Interstate 35. Feel free to let me know if I can help further with that.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #770, Stroked 351W (393 cubes) w/ Tremec TKO-600, 3.27 Torsen locker, 'Hi-Tech' Blue w/ White Stripes, Wilwoods, Bilstein coil overs...and a big ear-to-ear grin!
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Glad I took the time to read this entire thread!

...I would have replied to something that had already been decided. BUT...Hell, that never stopped me before, why should it now?

Hampton....? Good choice...their morning breakfast area is worth the extra money, in my opinion. Always a little nicer rooms, and I do like the suites for partying after hours....who? ME? ....AGAIN? Ooooh, okaaaaay.....if I have to....!

Vendors...? Well, I've read all the pros and cons offered, and I must say NO ONE likes 'pushy' vendors! But, they DO support our hobby and our pleasure is their business. Remember, "It's a business doin' pleasure with ya!". I wouldn't mind any vendor being there and offering their wares for sale. If they're pushy, then you don't have to go see them, and I think we can all say "F*ck off!" to them if we want to. (Sorry...!) But, I usually like to see them at an event....they usually have something to peddle that I want...T-shirts, hats, some doo-dad that's Cobra related.

One menu...? Yeah, that's the best for quicker service and food turnaround. If I don't like it, then I'll walk up to the bar and place my own food order and take responsibility for my actions...no prob! But...I'm bettin' you ain't gonna have chicken livers, or grilled monkey nuts or anything like that on the menu, so we'll be okay, I'm sure.

Doug....? Yeah, he's a vendor all right....but, I'd sooner see Doug, Ronnie, and crew there than some of my closest friends! I think everywhere they go they're more for the fun of it than the business end of it...at least in my observations.

But...having said all that...this is YOUR Texas Cobra Club's annual meeting event. YOU make the choices, and I'll attend if I'm able to....looks VERY favorable right now!

Get that address and phone number at the Hampton posted...wanna call and make reservations...NOW! HURRY!
WARNING: The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the management, editors, or owners. We welcome differing opinions, and recognize our responsibility to offer differing views. May cause drowsiness, restlessness, or irritability. Do not operate heavy machinery while using this product. Void in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, or where prohibited, licensed, or regulated by law. We reserve the right to limit quantities. Offer good while supplies last. No substitutions allowed. Please observe posted speed limits. Professional driver on closed course. Do not try this at home. Please wear your seatbelt at all times. Close cover before striking. Use at own risk. Please dispose of properly. Drink responsibly. Prolonged exposure to vapors has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Do not use this product of you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling fumes can be dangerous. Always wear safety glasses. In case of eye contact, flush with water and seek immediate medical attention. For occasional use only as directed. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Discontinue use if rash develops. If symptoms persist for more than three days, seek professional medical attention. Hearing protection required beyond this point. Danger: Hot surfaces. Use as directed. Proceed at own risk. Caution: Filling may be hot. Please don't litter. Actual results may vary. It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner other than as intended. Do not use this product if you have an enlarged prostate, or have difficulty urinating.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #770, Stroked 351W (393 cubes) w/ Tremec TKO-600, 3.27 Torsen locker, 'Hi-Tech' Blue w/ White Stripes, Wilwoods, Bilstein coil overs...and a big ear-to-ear grin!
Not Ranked     
Cool Hotell....Austin Round Rock?

...just sittin' here at the office today...pretty much a morgue....parking lot over half-empty....empty cubes and offices. Outta here soon....

But, just poking around at Hamptom Inns URL. From the description of "1325 and MoPac" in Cammer's post, it sounds as if the Austin Round Rock inn is the target....am I right? If so, this is just adjacent to Dell's complex, isn't it? If that's so, I've BEEN there!

Someone lemmenosumpin so I can call and make reservations...make sure you include the 'group name' for our 'group rate'.....we DID get a group rate, didn't we?

WARNING: The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the management, editors, or owners. We welcome differing opinions, and recognize our responsibility to offer differing views. May cause drowsiness, restlessness, or irritability. Do not operate heavy machinery while using this product. Void in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, or where prohibited, licensed, or regulated by law. We reserve the right to limit quantities. Offer good while supplies last. No substitutions allowed. Please observe posted speed limits. Professional driver on closed course. Do not try this at home. Please wear your seatbelt at all times. Close cover before striking. Use at own risk. Please dispose of properly. Drink responsibly. Prolonged exposure to vapors has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Do not use this product of you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling fumes can be dangerous. Always wear safety glasses. In case of eye contact, flush with water and seek immediate medical attention. For occasional use only as directed. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Discontinue use if rash develops. If symptoms persist for more than three days, seek professional medical attention. Hearing protection required beyond this point. Danger: Hot surfaces. Use as directed. Proceed at own risk. Caution: Filling may be hot. Please don't litter. Actual results may vary. It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner other than as intended. Do not use this product if you have an enlarged prostate, or have difficulty urinating.
Old 12-26-2002, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Ditto on Mr. Russell's comments! You guys have pulled together and put together another exciting event!
Old 12-26-2002, 01:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, 351 Cleveland, Dual Quads, C6
Not Ranked     

And who doesn't like monkey nuts? It looks like everything is coming together, so maybe everyone can relax.
Old 12-26-2002, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up 2003 Spring Meet Cruise

Well guys and gals, I just got back from cruising the Texas Hill Country. I've decided that the 2003 Spring Meet Cruise (not Poker Run) will take us through Lakeway, BeeCaves, Dripping Springs, Wimberley, Devil's Backbone, Canyon Lake, to the Gristmill in Gruene.

Beautiful rolling hills, several straight aways for those who want to show off, plenty of pit stops (gas, snacks, what ever), great roads, and most of all the view from the top of the Devil's Backbone at Riley's Tavern.

http://www.visitwimberley.com/betterhomebuyer/mapsw.htm

Total one way mileage is 79.1 miles. Depending on your driving speed, I estimate a good hour and half.

Lunch & shopping at Gruene is optional.
http://www.gruene.net/
http://www.photohome.com/photos/texa...istmill-1.html

The return trip will be via I35 to Austin (44 miles). Those who would like to take the back roads instead of I35 can go to San Marcos and back through Wimberly to avoid high speed traffic, or return the way we came.

I checked out the alternate parking at Rockin 'R' River Rides. It's a new parking lot, but still pea gravel. So our main parking will be in Gruene's main square parking lot.

Dinner will be back at the Hotel. Many resturants to choose from.

So that's it. I'll prepare directions for everyone. Have a happy Christmas and New Years.

Last edited by Ed Csoltko; 12-26-2002 at 07:02 PM..