Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #6101 streetbeast Ingelese stack EFI 351w/t-5 9" 4link 3.55
Not Ranked     
Default BFGoodrich

I keep hearing how bad BFGoodrich T/A radials are. But so far almost EVERY(95% or more) muscle cars that have been on the block at Barrett-Jackson has BFGoodrich T/A radials on. Please explain.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:33 PM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

They are good-looking, affordable tires that last a long time. They are not so great if ultimate performance is your goal. Some guys say they are sometimes out of round or hard to balance, although I cannot say that about the ones I had. Neither of those issues were a problem with mine.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

cheap and they look good.

Dwight
Old 01-15-2013, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

I use them on my work van...
Old 01-15-2013, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Cheap and big like 295-50-15 and they last. But they are best for a heavy car like a Chevelle or a van or 442 something like that.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cheap! Like the cars they are trying to sell? Still don't get it. These are car guys(mostly) selling and buying at Barrett. Like I have herd on here so many times. Why put $40,000 , $50 or $60,000 into a car just to put cheap tires on it because they look good. Have to be better tires than they get credit for.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

The cars at Barrett are rarely driven garage queens.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Put Avons on and you never have to pay another $ 1500 or $1800 for tires and then all the other car guys wouldn't ask you why in the %^^% did you put T/A s on that car?!!

I am not here to pick a fight. I just don't understand if they have such a bad rep. why have them on a car you are going to sell that 1,000,000 people or more are going to see. I have them on my COBRA (that is not finished yet) and wouldn't be a kick in the a$$ if I get back on here after I get on the road and say... WOW!!!! Those T/A s SUCK!!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LoneStar LS427 , 427 Windsor
Not Ranked     

I'm pretty sure the T/As perform just as well or better than the Avons, while parked in an enclosed trailer.

Rest assured they will make your Cobra very exciting and they'll last forever.
Rog246 likes this.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have learned this from CC. If I HAVE to sell my COBRA DO NOT put on T/As I will lose about $5000 in price!
Old 01-16-2013, 02:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I had one Mustang and a S-10 truck with T/As on them. They are hard and will not stop you in the rain. But you can get 70,000 plus miles out of them.
They look real good but there are a lot of tires with better performance.
T/A are great for burn outs in a Cobra. Don't test them in a curve in the rain. They will put you the ditch.
BFG G-Force tires are good tires for a street Cobra but cost a little more than the T/As.
Dwight
Old 01-16-2013, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

Barrett cars are often not driven in a spirited manner (or at all for the most part). If you want to just look at your Cobra, the BFGs will be great.

If you want to drive your Cobra in a performance manner, put a performance tire on it.

The bottom line is that the cheapest way to improve the ACTUAL PERFORMANCE (vs bench-racing performance) of any car is to put sticky rubber on it. Period. You have spent good money on a light car with a performance engine and your going to skimp on the part that actually makes the car go, stop, and turn?

In case you think I'm just guessing, I have experience with BFGs on my BBC Corvette. One day it got away from me in a big way and cost me a lot of money. I put sticky tires on it ever since and overall the cost of ownership has been much less.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is what I am trying to say. If they are so bad don't put them on a car you want to sell or advertise! When I get on the road and don't like them or find they are dangerous. I WILL NOT PUT THEM ON AT ANY TIME!! To sell or take pictures of my car because they look good. The reason I bought them is because they are on every thing!! I thought they can't be that bad, they are every where!!

Not trying to pick a fight. Just my opinion.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Of all the items a seller might apply to flatter his car, tires are the most easily changed by a future owner. Unlike garish paint or a custom approach, using attractive tires that are commonly thought to be better than adequate does not prejudice a sale one way or another. The seller is not obliged to hope for a buyer that thinks as he does. If a buyer wishes to equip the car with Avons or Michelin Pilots, he is free to do so without re-working the car to suit his taste. Using BF Goodrich TA's is not a matter of taste. The tires do not define the car being offered for sale in a way a future owner may not recognize as something he, too, would do. They're just round things the cars rolls on to the stage. Any round things, clean and properly prepared, will work as well as any other. So why spend money on them as an owner would a paint treatment or a sculpted fender line?
Old 01-16-2013, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Like, I see you bought my car for $80,000 , you might want to change those $600 tires if you want to start the engine and drive it. Wish my "67" 427 vette I don't drive had T/As.

Ok I am done with this. Tanks for the input...
Old 01-16-2013, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Contrary to popular belief, I don't believe most guys selling cars at Barret Jackson are what we would refer to as "car guys". Most of them are just guys with lots of money that wanted a particular car since they were kids and finally have the money to get one. They own it for a while, drive it very little but enough to show off, then sell it again. Most of them probably wouldn't know how to drive in a spirited manner, or enjoy the feeling of being able to break the tires loose with very little effort because it makes the car feel like it has more power than it does. Track days would be a foreign concept to many of them so performance tires really aren't a consideration. What is important is looks and Radial TA's look pretty good, and stay that way for a long time for little money.

Most guys who hang out here or on other performance forums get schooled pretty thoroughly on many things performance-wise and tires are no exception, so the knowledge base here tends to be a little higher than the average muscle car owner, IMHO.

Bob
Rog246 likes this.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

People that don't drive muscle cars are the last person I would sell one to with DANGEOURS tires on. They are the first person to say I have a muscle car now, watch this!!! Sold my "69" Vette to a guy that I had to change valve cover gaskets for because he said he had never done that before (58 years old) had the car 4 months and totaled it!

IMHO.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh yeah if you go to my profile and look at the album "mine" you will see a Kirkham I drove that the owner put BFGs on. It is his 11th Kirkham. He has 9 aluminum ones, a copper one, and just finshed a bronze one. All have BFGs on them. Drives all of them. All have Shelby Amer. All alum 427s. I will pass on the info to him about how dangerous these tires are.

He still owns all 11....

Last edited by littlewave; 01-16-2013 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: add info
Old 01-16-2013, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

So, what the hell is your question, anyway? Are you trying to defend BF Goodrich tires as the best tire going because you see a bunch of them on muscle cars, or ??????? A guy with a $100K car puts $50 tires on it and that makes them okay?
Old 01-17-2013, 03:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Peaks View Post
So, what the hell is your question, anyway? Are you trying to defend BF Goodrich tires as the best tire going because you see a bunch of them on muscle cars, or ??????? A guy with a $100K car puts $50 tires on it and that makes them okay?
My Question is why put tires on a perfomance car that are so dangerous and then sell to a person and hope they don't drive it hard because they are such a bad tire!!!! But I get it now. You guys are right put good tires on your car and if you sell or advertise your car or product put these crappy tires on it. Good idea.

And that is 11 $100k cars. Just his cobras. Not to mention his origanals or 150 mustangs.

Three Peeks I am not here to start a fight. Really I am not. Just trying to understand why a tire with such a bad rep. like these are being put on so many cars. And to save money to put a car at Barrett Jackson I don't buy. But like I said I have not had my car on the road yet I just may hate them (and hope I don't kill myself or anyone else) but if thay are that bad I wll not sell my Cobra (if I have to) with BFGs on them and hope the person just takes it home and looks at it. Tha is all....

Any buddy else feel me?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: