S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-28-2008, 11:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

The BillBoards and or Blue streak Sport Car Specials (G7's) leak a very minor amount of air because the casings do not have butyl liners in them as do tubless tires. They are somewhat difficult to patch if it becomes necessary to deal with a pucture. I have detailed this in the past and will not elaborate here but I have found a way to do it sucessfully that works quite well. Dealing with a flat tire away from home is my greatest concern, it's not something that can be done at roadside from my experience.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 05-28-2008 at 11:40 PM..
Old 05-29-2008, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Good old fashioned plug kit gets ya home.

Ernie...I had some old (I mean old) P7s on my Butler that were cracking. One day they just broke...no other way to describe it.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I put a plug in one of mine a couple of years ago, come to think of it, maybe thats what's leaking now? I think it's the same tire...

I hear you Jamo, I'm driving real careful these days on 'em. Get the car to the boat and then the transport carrier and I'm good to go!
Old 05-29-2008, 05:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Ernie,
How long do they last before they start cracking (time wise).

Terry
Old 05-29-2008, 06:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
I put a plug in one of mine a couple of years ago, come to think of it, maybe thats what's leaking now? I think it's the same tire...

I hear you Jamo, I'm driving real careful these days on 'em. Get the car to the boat and then the transport carrier and I'm good to go!
One nice thing about bias ply tires is that you can use a patch on them instead of plugging them.

Not sure if any tire stores still remember how to patch a tire or not.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR # 126/ K. Craft 306 CID/375 HP- 306 RWHP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
Rather than repeat the info, please read my post above wherein I identified what the "A" and "B" list tires were. Note that part of my post was just repeated in MadMiles post...merely one post above yours.

Oh what the he!!...the "A" list are the Bluestreaks and the "B" list are the Billboards. Several of us have now described the differences.

I got it now! Took a while though!!

Thanks Jamo!!

" Listen to that music! "

'65 BDR #126
'84 Porsche 928S
'01 Corvette C5 coupe
'99 Ford Explorer Limited
Old 05-29-2008, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Sal...you really experience that much leakage? I'm on my third set, and I've never lost a pound on any of them (except for a nail which plugged easily) whether they sit or on a drive. Are you sure your wheels aren't seeping?
Yeah, it's the tires. When I bought the car, it had BFGs on it, with no problems.

The set I had on my Kirkham (that I bought new with the Kirkham), did the same thing.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 05-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I bought mine from a guy several years ago. He had bought them several years before that and had them in his garage while he was building his Cobra, which he never finished. So it's hard to say how old the tires are.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     
Default Houston

So Erni, You thinking about living in a trailer?

Bill Boards look great and they are good on the track however I am still considering drag radials or Avons.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
One nice thing about bias ply tires is that you can use a patch on them instead of plugging them.

Not sure if any tire stores still remember how to patch a tire or not.

These are not good tires to patch in fact most store in my area refused to patch them. They consider them on time use. Have you looked at the inside of a bill board. Mostly thread material and the patch does not stick very well. First hand experience.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm gonna live in the garage and rent out the trailor!

Nice place, but the trailer is a bit problematic...
Old 05-29-2008, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCSX1 View Post
These are not good tires to patch in fact most store in my area refused to patch them. They consider them on time use. Have you looked at the inside of a bill board. Mostly thread material and the patch does not stick very well. First hand experience.
I had a screw in one of my rears, and had it patched from the inside a while back and no problems so far.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 05-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I had a patch put inside my motorcycle rear tire but had a hard time finding someone that knew how to do it. Most tire shops these days simply want to sell new tires and 'claim' insurance and liability issues if they patch or plug. I think that's BS myself, they just got so spoiled the youngn's never learned from the old guys.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
I had a screw in one of my rears, and had it patched from the inside a while back and no problems so far.
I'm not sure I would admit to this on a public forum
Old 05-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Sal...you must be using bad air.

Ernie...I only use a plug to replace not having a spare...just to get me home if that sealant crap won't plug it...then I have an inside patch put in.

Morg...Greg at Wheel King will get the guys will do it right...they remember how to grind it nice beforehand. Don't be cheap...tip em. Had them patch one on a previous set that lasted 3,000+ miles. Says alot that only they (and no Goodyear stores in the area) are specified by the local distributor to mount the run flats on the Vette...sometimes takes a 100lbs to get the bead seated...bang!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thats solid advice Jamo, I would advise anyone to follow up a plug with a permanent patch on the inside. I'm comfortable with a long term plug depending on the location, size of the hole and angle of the dangle. Not to mention technique, what kind of plug, how you install it, etc. There is a special plug that is actually 'permanent' made for motorcycle tires!

Now speaking of 'Tire Sealant' or 'Spare tire in a can' type of stuff, I've heard it said it will damage an alloy rim. I've also heard many tire repair shops won't work on the tire if you used it. Granted, it's nasty stuff and I hate working on a tire/rim job that has it. Again, I'm thinking BS on this one. I just don't see how 'sealent' could damage an alloy rim?
Old 05-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

It will screw up valve stems and plays hell with pressure senders in modern cars.

With the low pressures we run in the Billboards, I can't see it as much of a problem when they have to break the bead...I don't leave it in there long enough (just to get home).

Assolutely a no-no with run-flats (course, you don't need it to limp home), as Goodyear and Chevy make plain in their literature.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Oh yes, it WILL screw up the valve stems, I forgot about that. It can make it hell to get an accurate pressure reading after using it. Whew, with a pressure sensor on board that would be a nightmare.

Here's a pic of 'mushroom' style plug, I can't say I like them all that much, some brands are better than others. I prefer a brand that ALSO uses the vulcanizing cement, some are held in place by air pressure only. Air pressure only types tend to leak, temporary repair only in that sense.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
It will screw up valve stems and plays hell with pressure senders in modern cars.

With the low pressures we run in the Billboards, I can't see it as much of a problem when they have to break the bead...I don't leave it in there long enough (just to get home).

Assolutely a no-no with run-flats (course, you don't need it to limp home), as Goodyear and Chevy make plain in their literature.

What pressure to you run in your tires. I did a search and what I found was 26 in the fronts and 24 in the rears. Is that in the ballpark?
Old 05-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

On a tight course, I like to run 2-3 lbs more up front, and 26/24 is what I use, for quicker turn in. On an open course or on the highway, 24 all around. Just my preference for how I drive the beast.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: