SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 01:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

What is the rearend gear?

It may be possible that a wide ratio Toploader would work well for you...
Old 03-04-2011, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

3.31 is the rear end ratio.
Wide or close ratio, 4th gear is still going to 1:1, correct?
Larry
Old 03-04-2011, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, but you have to look at the final drive ratio as well. The beauty of a wide ratio Toploader is that you have a lower 2.78:1 1st gear, which helps out with a higher rearend ratio (like a 3.31), but that same 3.31 rearend will help you cruise at a lower rpm.

For example, with that 3.31 rearend and the usual 26.5" rear tire, with a Toploader you'd be turning 2300 at 55 mph and 2900 at 70.

Keep in mind that a lot of your Richmond transmissions do not have overdrives, but they are made to have a lower 1st gear and a 1:1 5th gear. The transmissions that have the overdrives are the most expensive at over $3500. In my opinion, that's a lot of money to spend just for an external linkage.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The Richmond I'd be using, if I go that route is the Super Street which is an overdrive. The question is; does it mount differently than a TKO? Or T10 in the case of this car?
Larry
Old 03-04-2011, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
Yes, but you have to look at the final drive ratio as well. The beauty of a wide ratio Toploader is that you have a lower 2.78:1 1st gear, which helps out with a higher rearend ratio (like a 3.31), but that same 3.31 rearend will help you cruise at a lower rpm.

For example, with that 3.31 rearend and the usual 26.5" rear tire, with a Toploader you'd be turning 2300 at 55 mph and 2900 at 70.

Keep in mind that a lot of your Richmond transmissions do not have overdrives, but they are made to have a lower 1st gear and a 1:1 5th gear. The transmissions that have the overdrives are the most expensive at over $3500. In my opinion, that's a lot of money to spend just for an external linkage.
Brent - with a mild 289/302, how high (low numeric) can you go with diff ratio, in combo with a WR Toploader?
2900 at 70mph sounds a little high. With a 3.08 rear, does the overall gearing in first with a WR Toploader become too high?
Glen
Old 03-05-2011, 03:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default All for the richmond but

LMH Larry The richmond have the same mount location as most 4 speeds. From my experience the ONLY thing is the shifter setup. I have a short mustang shifter that bends forward about 2-3 inches. If you go with the orginal shifter this will be fine. The issue is it's slow from gear to gear changes. This is the only advantage between internal and external linkage trannies. I do have a vertigate for my 5 speed but it doesn't work on the track to well when down shifting. I have never missed a gear on the up shift. I think the 2.87 first gear will be more than enough to get your car moving. Not sure if they have a couple of different gear sets. If your motor have a good low torque band, the lower overdrive gear would be ok. IMO I beleive that you get what you pay for with any part. I also like the "KISS" method for engineering, The less shafts the better, wider gears, support in case for main shafts. For a better linkage kit for the shifter make your own heim joint rods and bend to work. This removes the springs and plastic washers to the fork arms. I think someone even sell a shifter kit like this. God luck with the trans, Going this way myself. Rick L. Ps check the measurement between the face of the trans and the end of the input shaft. Some tranny need to have the input cut down if using a lakewood beel and a GM input shaft. .380" is the measurement with a lakewood. Some one here sell a shorter shaft, Richmond may also do the same. If you don't check this measure ment you could destroy the thrust bearing in the motor and wipe it out. I use a roller bearing in the crankshaft end, same one for 15 years and no problem. Bushings work fine too.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
The Richmond I'd be using, if I go that route is the Super Street which is an overdrive. The question is; does it mount differently than a TKO? Or T10 in the case of this car?
Larry
No, it has the same mounting pattern as a TKO/Toploader. I think the distance to the transmission mount is the same as well.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Brent - with a mild 289/302, how high (low numeric) can you go with diff ratio, in combo with a WR Toploader?
2900 at 70mph sounds a little high. With a 3.08 rear, does the overall gearing in first with a WR Toploader become too high?
Glen
Glen,

It's all a function of what you like and what you can get away with. To me, 2900 doesn't sound bad at all, but to others, it would seem like the engine was screaming.

I don't think a 3.08 would be too high, but of course there's a point where you start lugging the engine instead of multiplying the gear ratios and helping things out.

I don't have any past experience with that particular combination, so I'm not sure if it would be hampering the engine's performance or not. Of course you do have the light weight of a Cobra on your side.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

I have a 3.27 rear gear ratio and a 3.27 1st gear. I like the idea of letting out the clutch quickly ( no wear) and idling at 7- 8 MPH in parking lots at car show, through small towns and the like. It makes cruising fun.
Lou
Old 03-05-2011, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My car originally had a 2.87 first with 3.23 gears. It seemed a little sluggish off the line, but nothing a little more gas didn't fix. I didn't like the mileage driving down the highway which is why I went with the 6 speed. OD is really nice.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Doing a little checking online at mounting dimensions. From the bellhousing face back to the mount on the Richmond is 18". On the Tremec it's 15.80". Does anyone know what the T10 dimensions are? What about the Top Loader?
Larry
Old 03-05-2011, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not sure on a T-10, but I have a Toploader in the shop, I'll go measure.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well this particular Toploader was about 13"....but the tailhousings vary depending on which model you get.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Paint:Metalflakes Royal and Abalone stripes registered in France in 1973. Engine: Ford Shelby aluminium block, 482; two 4-barrels 600cfm Holley; Edelbrock Performer Aluminium heads,,fluid damper,4-speeds Aluminium Toploader (short), 2.88rear
Send a message via Skype™ to BOURRET
Not Ranked     

For me, the Toploader (alu case, D. Kee )is Number One. For my RAM, with a short ratio alu Toploader 4 speeds and a 2.88 Jag diff, I feel quite happy on the road with a speed of 80 mph at 2200 rpm and 17" wheels. And I have so much power (torque) with the 482 cu.in. that it is efficient for drag in street category.

Last edited by BOURRET; 03-05-2011 at 09:37 AM..
Old 03-05-2011, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
Well this particular Toploader was about 13"....but the tailhousings vary depending on which model you get.
Interesting, thanks Brent. It looks like there is a lot of difference in mount locations. I've got to get this right from the beginning, so more research!
Larry
Old 03-05-2011, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     
Default Be careful which Richmond!

I have a Richmond 5-speed Road Race in my ERA FIA with a 3.08 rear-end. This tranny has a 1:1 final. I originally wanted the Richmond Super Street 5-speed with overdrive, but learned from ERA that the shifter doesn't really fit in a Cobra: they said that the installation would sit very high and look like something more appropriate for Herman Munster!

I had thought about a 2.88 rear for a little better cruising RPM, but Rick Lake cautioned me that the stud-axles were a little weaker with that set-up, so I settled on the 3.08. Haven't had it on the road yet, but Jim Holden (who has had several ERAs) had this combo in his FIA and said it was perfect.

Jeff

Last edited by jeffy; 03-05-2011 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-05-2011, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Jeff
Isn't the Richmond Super Street and the Road Race built using the same case? What does your shifter look like in relation to originality?
Larry
Old 03-05-2011, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
Hey Jeff
Isn't the Richmond Super Street and the Road Race built using the same case? What does your shifter look like in relation to originality?
Larry

Don't know, just know that I pushed the guys at ERA on this real hard and they convinced me it wouldn't work. Shifter location in my car is fine:

Old 03-05-2011, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold ERA FIA 2139, 331 Weber IDF
Not Ranked     

Larry, here is another option for you http://www.keislerauto.com/images/Sa...2012-10(2).jpg
I have used their products before, good service.
Wolfgang
Old 03-05-2011, 09:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jeff, it looks perfect! So does the rest of the car for that matter.

Wolfgang, thanks for the link. Now we're talking! Note the shifter on the Keisler modified TKO.

The next question is, on a 289 model with a TKO, is that shifter location the correct one? Offset is I'd say but what about front to rear?
Am I a pain in the butt or what!
Larry