SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-03-2011, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Transmission Choices?

Hey all
Wondering what transmissions are there that are applicable to Cobra replicas.
There's the TKO's, T5 and of course, the old 4 spd Top Loader but what else is there in a 5 speed's? Doug Nash? Richmond?
Kind of looking for something with a bolt-on shifter more like the top loader.
Any experience's good or bad? Opinions?
Larry
Old 03-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #698 428 Toploader
Not Ranked     

I have a toploader with a 3.31 rear. 70 m.ph. is 3000 r.p.m.s If I was going to do it again I would look into a richmond 5 speed with 3.08 or something in the high 2,s.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would think that lower final gears and an overdrive tranny would be easier on the drive train?
Old 03-03-2011, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

I have a t56 magnum 6 speed, it can handle all the hp and tq you want, plus those long highway cruises are a dream. 3.91 rear gear, 80 mph is at 1700rpm in 6th gear.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This will be for a 289 model, I should have added that.
I have a TKO 600 for my Hurricane but with the 289, I want to use something closer to the original top loader but with an overdrive. I have the same rear end ratio as you cobred, 3.31 in a 4HU.
Is the T56 6 speed physically larger than say, the TKO? I'd like to try and keep the shifter in the original 289 location. I've just started looking at the Richmond 5 speed.
Larry
Old 03-03-2011, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

yes its huge, but it has six different shifter locations
Old 03-03-2011, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

just did some quick research, the tremec 5 speed and richmond are similar in that they share a simalar first gear but the next 4 are different, the richmond has a tighter ratio while the tremecs are wider, the shifter locations are the same. the tremec is a true overdrive 5 speed in that the 5th gear is a true extra gear.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 306/FORD
Not Ranked     

The tremec tko 600 with a .82 5th gear and a 373 gear will give you 70 mph at 2100 rpm
Old 03-03-2011, 09:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
I was affraid you were going to say that!

Has anyone used the Richmond Super Street 5 spd? I was just looking at one online.
Larry
Old 03-03-2011, 10:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ive used the richmond, it is awesome, but so is the tremec 5 speed, it comes down to what ratios you want, the tremec are a little different than the richmond, i'm sure your aware of that.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

How much is that T56 6 speed? That sounds nice! Does it have the same length as a Tremec TKO?
Old 03-03-2011, 10:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

I think all the 289's were equipped with T10's, not Top Loaders.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 03-03-2011, 10:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

there is a previous thread on the t56 vs the tko, i believe. it cost $2300.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yes, I think your right Rick. I should have pulled my head out of my...
Larry
Old 03-04-2011, 03:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Couple of questions Larry

LMH Larry what is the HP and Torque on the motor?
What is the car going to be used for, racing, cruising, 1/4 mile?
How orignial are you trying to keep the car, are you going with orignial shifter handle assembly in side the car?
Top cruising speed?
As far as richmond 5 and 6 speeds, one style has a 450/450 rating I raced a richmond 6-spd for 6 years and still have the trans. It's going in a 79TA. I went to a G-Force 5 speed because of HP ratings on motor motor which went from a 452 to a 482. With a 600ft of torque. I am going to the super street as soon a the tax return gets here. Have 3.31 in my car and think they are the best of both worlds for racing and cruising. The first gear you want for your car should be in the 2.80- 2.60. I have a 3.25 in the 6 spd and never use it. Waste of gearing. Good for pulling stumps out in the backyard.
Alot of which trans you are going to use is based on your driving and abuse. Rick L. The 5spds with bolt directly into place of most 4 spds with any modes. The trans tunnel may be the only thing to check for clearance of the shifter rods. orignial location of shifter is the same.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
As does the TKO 500/600.

Here is a brief synopsis:

*If you want to go for authenticity, then go with the Toploader. They are plenty strong enough, even for big blocks. The only con here is that they have no overdrive.

*The T5 is too weak for a higher performance engine. I've seen many of them break in factory 5.0 Mustangs. They are, however, the lightest of any I'm going to name, and they shift really well.

*The TKO 500/600 is all-around the best bang for the buck. They will handle an enormous amount of power (500 lb-ft for the TKO 500, 600 for the TKO 600). Their ratings are in "continuous" torque, not peak torque. They are very strong. These transmissions do require a break-in period so that they will limber up. Otherwise they are quite notchy from the factory. They will bolt up to a Toploader bellhousing if equipped with a short input shaft.

*The Magnum T-56 is a nice transmission (rated for 700 lb-ft), but it's 1. Expensive 2. Long 3. Heavy. There's not many situations where this transmission is required and I hardly ever recommend the use of one. They are bigger in girth, longer, and weigh about 25-30 lbs more than a TKO. The transmission tunnels of some replicas will not accept them. They are made with hydraulic throw out bearings in mind (a big no-no in my book), but with modification, the midplate can accept a ball stud and a clutch fork. If you're running a solid axle car, this transmission makes the driveshaft even shorter, which loads the u-joints even more.

*The Richmond boxes are nice, but they too are very expensive. They are smaller in size so they will fit in a lot of transmission tunnels, but the shifter is an external linkage, like a Toploader, so you have to keep that in mind. The older boxes are rated for about 400-450 lb-ft, while the new stuff is closer to 600.

As far as pricing goes, you'll pay about $1500 for a rebuilt Toploader, $2195 for a TKO 600, $2795 for a Mag T-56, and up over $3500 for one of the nice Richmond boxes.

In my mind for a nice street car, it comes down to two choices: 1. Toploader 2. TKO 600. The TKO is available with two overdrive ratios, so it can be custom suited to whatever drivetrain combination you're working with.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have a T-56 6 speed in my Cobra. Unless your car is fuel injected using an engine with a huge torque curve (maybe 1500 - ?) I would not use it. I have 4.56 rear gears with maybe a 27" tall tire and it cruises down the highway at around 2200 RPM@ 70 mph. That makes first gear pretty worthless. I can drop the rear ratio, which I had planned on doing, but then 6th gear will be in the 1800 RPM range @ 70 mph. This is outside the torque curve of the engine, so it will pretty much kill that gear. Programmable fuel injection can cure these problems, but it would probably be cheaper to put a 5 speed in the car.

Go with some type of 5 speed and make the rear gears match what range you want to cruise in. It will be less shifting, higher torque rating on the trans, and easier on your engine.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

there is a new invention out there that i find to be the greatest invention in transmissions.

its called an automatic transmission.....it will actually shift for you......lol
Old 03-04-2011, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Check into Gordon Levy's Super Alloy T5. All of the great attributes of the T5- great shifting, light weight, relatively small- and will handle up to 600 ft. lbs of torque. Also, the T5's are available with different 1st and 5th gear ratios to fit your situation.

Bob
Old 03-04-2011, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks guy's!
I have a TKO 600 now in my Hurricane and am familiar with them. What I'm looking for is a linkage shifted trans for a small block car. Overdrive is a must though, so it looks the Richmond is the trans of choice.
The engine isn't built yet but should be in the 300 to 350 HP range. I need to choose a trans now, while building the frame so I know what mount to weld in. I want the look and feel of a linkage shifter, with it slightly off center as per original. I'm very anal retentive about stuff like that.
Larry

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: