SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold ERA FIA 2139, 331 Weber IDF
Not Ranked     

Larry, I am after the same thing you are, a five speed with the the shifter location as in an original 289 car. I did some rough measuring with the TKO, the shifter would need to be located from the middle plate, called a mid-shifter. They are available through Keisler and others. However, it would not be offset to the left as the original, you would have to use a lever with an offset. Personally, I am leaning towards the modified T45 from Keisler because of the better shift quality. You have a TKO and I have a TKO so we both know about the shift feel.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Guys,

McLeod has some shifters that retain the nice aftermarket shifter options (spring loaded, adjustable stops, etc.) but can be ordered with 4" of offset in all directions. You can also combine offsets, like if you would need the shifter to be moved 2" back and 2" to the right, etc.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yeah, that would solve the correct shifter location issue and if the Keisler T45 has the better shift quality, I think that's the trans for me. I'll do a little reading on the T45,
Larry
Old 03-06-2011, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I can also supply the T45 with the adapter bellhousings if you decide you want more information on them. My trans supplier also makes the aftermarket gearsets for the T45 and supplies a lot of cores to Keisler.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Does using the T45 shifter location but with an offset shifter, put the shifter in the same location as it would be with a toploader?
I'm not sure of the shifter location on a toploader measured from the bellhousing surface. It looks like the Keisler is 20.5".
Larry
Old 03-06-2011, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The McLeod shifters that I was talking about are not available for the T45, just TKO's and T-56's.

You could probably go with something like a Pro 5.0 or a Steeda Tri-Ax and use a custom handle.

The shifter location from the bellhousing surface on a Toploader also depends on which tailhousing and shifter plate that you use. There are lots of different positions.

Where do you need to be?
Old 03-06-2011, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Lets back up a little. I'm looking for a 5 speed overdrive transmission, that will have the shifter in the stock location on a 289 model. 289's used a BW T10 with a long tailshaft.
The 289 shifter is similar in location to this photo:

This is not a Cobra T10 but the shifter is in about the right location. The T10 case measures 10", so I'm guessing the shifter line would be 12"- 13" as measured from the bellhousing mounting face. I don't know if a toploader had the same shifter mount location or not but wondered if it did. Guess it depends on tailshaft.
It looks as though the TKO will work if an offset shifter can be used. Maybe the Keisler as well given the same offset shifter. So far, I can't find dimensions on a Keisler T45 but still looking.
Larry
Old 03-06-2011, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, the Toploader can be configured to put the shifter in that location. Some 289 Cobras had Toploaders as well.

As for the T-45, keep in mind that the bellhousing is made into the transmission and you will have to use an adapter on anything but a Modular Ford engine.

From the front face of the bellhousing to the shifter C/L is 27". From the front face of the bellhousing to the transmission mount is 24.5".

A TKO with the midshift will get you about where you need to be.

Last edited by blykins; 03-06-2011 at 03:33 PM..
Old 03-06-2011, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Cool! Thanks Brent.
Larry
Old 03-06-2011, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Post edited with dimensions.....
Old 03-06-2011, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy View Post
I have a Richmond 5-speed Road Race in my ERA FIA with a 3.08 rear-end. This tranny has a 1:1 final. I originally wanted the Richmond Super Street 5-speed with overdrive, but learned from ERA that the shifter doesn't really fit in a Cobra: they said that the installation would sit very high and look like something more appropriate for Herman Munster!

I had thought about a 2.88 rear for a little better cruising RPM, but Rick Lake cautioned me that the stud-axles were a little weaker with that set-up, so I settled on the 3.08. Haven't had it on the road yet, but Jim Holden (who has had several ERAs) had this combo in his FIA and said it was perfect.

Jeff
Going slightly sideways here...Jeff, does your Richmond RoadRace have 27/31 cluster (3.01 first gear) or 22/37 cluster (4.41 first gear)? These give overall ratios for first gear, with a 3.08 rear, of 9.27 and 13.58. (I'm trying to relate it to a WR Toploader with a 3.08 rear)
Isn't your car red, not black?
Glen
Old 03-06-2011, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Brent. I didn't know Keisler's trans had it's own bellhousing. Good info.

Here's what I've found:
Measured from the bellhousing mounting surface to the centerline of the shifter,
the TKO is 12.65" at the mid-shift location.
The Richmond Street 5 spd is 20".

Knowing that the gear case on a BW T10 is 10" and the shifter centerline is approximately 2" - 3" beyond that, it looks like the TKO is closest to original using the mid-shift location. Now I need to find an offset shifter for the TKO mid-shift location to move it towards the driver's side and I should be set for what trans I can use.
Geez! I didn't do this much homework when I was in college!
Larry
Old 03-06-2011, 08:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold ERA FIA 2139, 331 Weber IDF
Not Ranked     

Well here is more to ponder, Keisler mills off the integral bellhousing from the T45 and installs their own front cover so that you can bolt it up to what ever bellhousing you want. They also offer multiple shifter locations for that transmission. That web link shows shifter location 12 in. from bellhousing mount. Wolfgang

Last edited by wolf k; 03-06-2011 at 08:56 PM..
Old 03-06-2011, 09:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf k View Post
Well here is more to ponder, Keisler mills off the integral bellhousing from the T45 and installs their own front cover so that you can bolt it up to what ever bellhousing you want. They also offer multiple shifter locations for that transmission. That web link shows shifter location 12 in. from bellhousing mount. Wolfgang
Just have to throw a wrench in the works, don't you!
Larry
Old 03-06-2011, 10:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

The comp cars by the old finishline motorsports out of Las Vegas are running Jerico, Tex Racing or G force 4 speeds. You can pick each gear ratio for all 4 gears, comes with internal oil pump to which you hook up radiator. Straight cut gears with dog rings. Mag case with Teflon coating and o ring seals. I like the slight whine, I think its kind of cool. Also shift with no clutch if you want is fun also. Some of the Viper guys run them.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf k View Post
We also make bellhousing adapters too....
Old 03-07-2011, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Going slightly sideways here...Jeff, does your Richmond RoadRace have 27/31 cluster (3.01 first gear) or 22/37 cluster (4.41 first gear)? These give overall ratios for first gear, with a 3.08 rear, of 9.27 and 13.58. (I'm trying to relate it to a WR Toploader with a 3.08 rear)
Isn't your car red, not black?
Glen
I'm pretty sure it was the 22/37 cluster (which is for a Ford) with the 3.04 first gear.

Traveling today, tomorrow I can check for sure and give you the other ratios.

I had it repainted.

Jeff

Last edited by jeffy; 03-07-2011 at 06:07 AM..
Old 03-09-2011, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     

Glen and Larry-

Just in case you are interested, I chose the following gear ratios with my Richmond Road Race:

1st: 3.04
2nd: 2.13
3rd: 1.57
4th: 1.24
5th: 1:1

Rear-end is 3.07.

Jeff
Old 03-09-2011, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Jeff! Appreciate the info.
Larry
Old 03-10-2011, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy View Post
Glen and Larry-

Just in case you are interested, I chose the following gear ratios with my Richmond Road Race:

1st: 3.04
2nd: 2.13
3rd: 1.57
4th: 1.24
5th: 1:1

Rear-end is 3.07.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff.
I am thinking of the same rear end ration with a WR Toploader, so my first gear o/a would be 2.78 x 3.07 = 8.56 whereas yours is 3.04 x 3.07 = 9.33
Same ball park
Cheers,
Glen