SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

The "good" axle also had twisted splines and a hairline fracture starting at the same place as the broken axle. It would have broken on the next launch. Maybe a bad batch, maybe steel was too soft. Maybe D-Cel can analyze the steel when this is over and let us know why it failed.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 12-05-2012, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#520, Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     

If the splines were twisted that indicates the metal yielded, which sounds like improper heat treatment. Are you reassembled with new parts yet ??
Old 12-05-2012, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4017 View Post
If the splines were twisted that indicates the metal yielded, which sounds like improper heat treatment. Are you reassembled with new parts yet ??
Not reassembled yet, but new axles on order.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 12-05-2012, 11:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Are they coming from Shelby LV ?? My 4000 is also an HST build. I just learned something. I did not know HST built 6000 cars, thought they were all SA. I have nothing bad to say about the HST build quality. My only diffy issue is that the front seal has leaked since day one and I never understood the lack of a breather. I am surprised how little lubricant has been lost when I check the level.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Breather is on top of the diff housing. You can't see it when it's installed in the car.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4017 View Post
Are they coming from Shelby LV ?? My 4000 is also an HST build. I just learned something. I did not know HST built 6000 cars, thought they were all SA.
Mine is 6022 so an earlier 6000 car. They did close down HST a bit after my car was done, but not sure what the last number was that was built.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 12-06-2012, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
Mine is 6022 so an earlier 6000 car. They did close down HST a bit after my car was done, but not sure what the last number was that was built.
6045 started its life at HST. It was one of several cars in process when Shelby pulled out of HST. The cars aren't necessarily built in numerical sequence so it's possible a higher number car was actually completed at HST.

A new 6045 was restarted and completed at Hi-Tech. It has a differential breather and filter.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I can reach up over the top of the diffy housing and feel a small square drive ( pipe thread ) plug, but there is no breather installed. As an interim method I attached an adapter at the fill plug and ran a clear hose about 12 inches vertically with a temporary filter. I have looked at XJ6 illustrated parts info and they call out a breather......Nick, are the breathers you have seen coming off the small plug hole I described ????
Old 12-07-2012, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think mine is the same as csx4017, but will look closer this weekend.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 12-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I think mine is the same as csx4017, but will look closer this weekend.
Meaning you ain't got one? Most vents I've seen look pretty much like what I've got on mine.

Last edited by patrickt; 11-08-2016 at 12:39 PM..
Old 12-07-2012, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Meaning you ain't got one?
Yep....

www.partskeeper.com
Old 12-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yep....
I wonder why? It can't cost more than a buck or two and the Jag people claim that if you don't have one, and run the differential hard, oil gets pushed past the seals. Routine Differential Service
Old 12-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You might just get this off of Ebay: Jaguar Daimler Diff Breather Elbow Tube Fits XJ XJS E Type 420 C25716 8509 | eBay

Uhhh, considering your differential is currently just sitting on the garage floor, now might be the opportune time to undertake the massive job of screwing it in to the diff case.

EDIT: Terry's Jaguar Parts in MI has it cheaper....

Last edited by patrickt; 12-07-2012 at 02:08 PM..
Old 12-11-2012, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I believe I have indicated on an earlier thread that I wipe down the area around and aft of the diffy front seal after every run ( almost daily ). It has leaked from day one. The temporary vent tube I installed is not preventing the seal weepage but is relieving internal pressure . The Jag part will not fit on my diffy. The loss is so minor I am never in "lack of lube" danger.........Just another thing to do when your adjusting coil-overs. I think the 3 years between roller and driver didn't help. How long was the diffy sitting on the shelf prior to install ??..........Vent it Doug !
Old 12-11-2012, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

My diff never leaked, but I will vent it before putting it back in. Can someone tell me what all of these plugs are for and if the plug on the cover and the smaller plug on the top are both options for venting? Also, other than the main drain plug on the bottom of the diff, what's the smaller plug for?

Diff Cover

Diff top showing smaller plug

Diff bottom showing main drain plug and smaller plug

www.partskeeper.com
Old 12-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Hey Doug the plugs are for plumbing hoses and fittings for the cooler. Look for the extra wires on the left of the diff for the pump and the bracket to the right of the diff for the pump. Scoop goes in the center ahead of the crossmember with the cooler. Let me know if you want help setting that up "while you're right there". I would vent it off the back cover but don't do it in line with rotating parts and install a good baffle on the inside or it shoots slung oil up the tube.

Last edited by mickmate; 12-11-2012 at 03:04 PM..
Old 12-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

For less than a C-Note you can get a new cover that's already got the hole and vent. Now you might have to weld a baffle in there, I can't tell from the ad whether it's got one or not... probably not. Reasonably Cool Jag Finned Aluminum Rear Cover, Unpolished

Old 12-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

... or better yet, slab a little JB Weld on to a piece of aluminum and glue it on the inside as a baffle. Then, when it finally breaks loose and goes, it will make for a wonderful new thread.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nick is right on with the diffy cooler connections. Why not vent it off the small top plug hole ? The hose I have coming off the fill plug hole shows a slight discoloration for about 2 inches and then there are no signs that the oil has been pushed any higher. It works for now. Stupid part is that I have to disconnect it to check lube level.
Nick, have you installed coolers and if so who's parts have you had success with ???
Old 12-12-2012, 08:39 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I remember this thread: Differential Oil Cooler and somehow I also remember somebody using the Maximum Motorsports diff cooler... which costs, like, over a grand, parts alone... I think Doug might be able to squeeze by with just the whistle vent....