SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 11:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     
Default Need help diagnosing a clutch/tranny problem

A few weeks back, I gave drag racing a try in the cobra (first time ever). On my third launch it felt like something let go and the car lurched forward a bit and then didn't move (engine was still running fine). I was on Billboards, low RPM launch at about 2k RPM, specifically to limit the chance of breaking anything. I could back out from the starting line, but very slowly with a lot of slippage. 1st gear slipped so much that the car would only move on flat ground if I was given a push to start and overcome the inertia.

Thought for sure the pressure plate or disk had grenaded. Clutch has 5k miles on it. I don't do lots of burnouts, etc, and am probably easier on the car than many cobra drivers.

BUT, when we pulled it this weekend, the clutch looked fine. Nothing broken, condition looks good.

So what else would cause symptoms like a badly slipping clutch? Half shafts are find. Engine runs fine.

Here's what's in it: Tranny is a TKO 600, engine is a 427FE, standard bore/stroke, never been dynoed, but probably makes ~480hp or so at the crank.

Thoughts?

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 10-22-2012, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #1230/B2 445CI SBF
Not Ranked     

Not to over simplify but is there still fluid in the clutch cylinder? Sometimes we overlook the simple stuff At least I do-its always a disaster!!!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #1230/B2 445CI SBF
Not Ranked     

Oh and how did the first 2 passes go?
Old 10-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Maybe the clutch packs in your limited slip.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #298 427 FI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Maybe the clutch packs in your limited slip.
That would be where I would start, It could also be the transmission.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So a bit of an update. Tested tranny and all forward gears seem to work as expected, no noises or lash issues. Maybe I should be taking a closer look at the rear end - although even if clutch packs were slipping, wouldn't I have one wheel drive regardless? I would have also thought I'd break a half shaft before trashing the limited slip, neither of which I would have expected with billboards and the sissy launches I was doing. I would have bet anything it was the clutch. Felt exactly like a slipping clutch.

Clutch pedal never got soft and if I lost hydraulics, wouldn't that mean I couldn't disengage rather than have a slipping problem? Shifting was as per normal, except that there was massive slippage. (Undriveable, had to come back on a rollback. Nice to use my AAA once in 10 years I guess....)

Keep any add'l ideas coming.

Oh, and as to my times on the first two passes (first trips down any drag strip in any car):

12.6 @ 110
12.5 @ 111

My 60ft times were something like 2.0 if I remember right, so pretty light launches. I also wasn't concerned with reaction time.

It was fun though, I'd do it again at a low-key event like this one.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 10-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Take it for an attempted drive with the tunnel off. With the "clutch slipping" badly, look back and down at the driveshaft. If it's spinning hard, then the rear needs rebuilding. ERA uses Michigan Driveline Michigan Driveline Products
Old 10-22-2012, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

how about any oil or coolant getting around the flywheel?

was there a chebby ahead of you with a puking powerglide?
Old 10-22-2012, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Take it for an attempted drive with the tunnel off. With the "clutch slipping" badly, look back and down at the driveshaft. If it's spinning hard, then the rear needs rebuilding. ERA uses Michigan Driveline Michigan Driveline Products
Unfortunately that's gonna be tough. The CSX frame and the large Lakewood bell (serious PITA to remove), combined with a few leak issues I wanted to address (changing oil pan and replacing gasket on remote filter block plus properly helicoiling a pan bolt hole), means the engine is on a stand as of yesterday.....

www.partskeeper.com
Old 10-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
Unfortunately that's gonna be tough. The CSX frame and the large Lakewood bell (serious PITA to remove), combined with a few leak issues I wanted to address (changing oil pan and replacing gasket on remote filter block plus properly helicoiling a pan bolt hole), means the engine is on a stand as of yesterday.....
Yeah... I heard. I have absolutely no idea how you would "bench test" your limited slip. It would be interesting to know whether you had the four spider, or two spider, flavor though.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Turn the pinion flange, by hand or with a couple of bolts and a bar across them.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmate View Post
Turn the pinion flange, by hand or with a couple of bolts and a bar across them.
Sounds good to me. Doug, you know I don't know a lot about the CSX cars, but I think they use the Dana 44 Power Lok (like ERA), which comes in two flavors: two spider gears or four spider gears. The latter is significantly stronger and is all that ERA uses. If it were me, before I put everything back in the car I would at least try Mickmate's idea and maybe even removing the differential cover and then peek inside to see if there are "chunks 'o rear" where they don't belong.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Doug how did you test the tranny?
Old 10-22-2012, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmate View Post
Doug how did you test the tranny?
Not sure exactly as it was done today by one of our local club members as the car is at his house. He helped me pull the engine ("Cobra Inc", if you know Scott).

www.partskeeper.com

Last edited by dcdoug; 10-22-2012 at 05:09 PM..
Old 10-23-2012, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here are some other thoughts from my local club and a bit more info:

Broken axle in the diff, left side is one thought. When the the right side tire is turned, the pinion turns, but not the left tire. Turn the left side tire and neither the pinion nor the right tire move. Does that sound normal or does this indicate the problem is in the diff?

www.partskeeper.com
Old 10-23-2012, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I would say broken spider gears...

Generally with an open rear, you can turn one tire one way and the other tire will rotate in the opposite direction. In most positraction diffs, you can turn one tire, and the other will turn the same direction.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:20 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doug, you guys need to pull the cover and look. If your spiders went, then there's going to be some broken parts in there. If you did break your spider gears, then before you send the unit out to be rebuilt, you need to know exactly what you have. I have the manuals for both the Powr-Lok and the Trac-Lok. Both are Dana/Spicer stuff but the Powr-Lok should have four spider gears and the Trac-Lok only two. Now Tom Kirkham says there are only two spider gears in some flavors of the Powr-Lok (the crappy ones) and I'm sure not going to second guess him on that. More likely you might have a Trac-Loc masquerading as a Powr-Lok, who knows. The point is, if you look in there and you only find two spider gears, and not four, then you need to upgrade regardless of what it is that they're calling it. Here's a diagram that will help you understand. We're talking about the "pinion mate gears" and you should have four, not two. And having the extra two spider gears is a pretty big deal.

Last edited by patrickt; 11-08-2016 at 12:37 PM..
Old 10-23-2012, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks. I may be calling to get one of them, depending on what I have (Edit - saw the post with the manuals on CACC, thanks!). Think we are going to pull the cover tonight, unless Scott does it today.

www.partskeeper.com

Last edited by dcdoug; 10-23-2012 at 09:12 AM..
Old 10-23-2012, 09:12 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
Thanks. I may be calling to get one of them, depending on what I have. Think we are going to pull the cover tonight, unless Scott does it today.
I already gave them to Scott. Knowing him, he will pull the cover before lunch.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I already gave them to Scott. Knowing him, he will pull the cover before lunch.
Yes, service (and rates) are very good at Cobra Inc.

www.partskeeper.com

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: