SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 66gtk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2019, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427sc
Not Ranked     
Default Trouble engaging 5th (Doug Nash / Richmond 5sp)

I've had trouble getting into reverse since taking ownership of this vehicle earlier this year, but recently I've started having problems engaging 5th gear as well. Is this maybe just a matter of needing to adjust the shifting stops, or something more involved?

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2019, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
I've had trouble getting into reverse since taking ownership of this vehicle earlier this year, but recently I've started having problems engaging 5th gear as well. Is this maybe just a matter of needing to adjust the shifting stops, or something more involved?

Thanks!
Are you using the Long shifter or a Hurst?
Old 01-08-2019, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

Does it grind going into reverse?

For trouble shifting into 5th, I agree adjusting the shifter and stops is pretty easy. If you Utube it will come up. I can give you the run down if you can't find it.

When the shifter is adjusted correctly let us know if it is fixed or if the shifter was even a problem.

5/R share the same shifting fork in that transmission. It could be a bent or damaged shift fork, but don't think about that yet.

I have never driven a car with a Doug Nash/Richmond. Can you shift quickly and hit all of the gears? I am very unimpressed with the TKOs for the 2/3 shift and am planning my next Cobra.

John
Old 01-08-2019, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Before you do anything else, take the shifter boot off and make sure the shifter is not hitting the hole cut into the transmission tunnel. On an ERA they provide a spacer to move the shifter handle over about an inch or so. That makes the fit very tight. If the hole in the transmission tunnel is not cut in exactly the right place, the shifter may be hitting the tunnel causing difficulties.

It might also be a problem with the clutch not fully disengaging. You may need to adjust the clutch using the procedure found in the ERA manual.

One last suggestion. As the tunnel on an ERA is screwed down, you need to spread the tunnel slightly. If you don't do that the shift linkage could be rubbing on the inside of the tunnel causing difficult shifting.

Chris
Old 01-08-2019, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427sc
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I have never driven a car with a Doug Nash/Richmond. Can you shift quickly and hit all of the gears?
1st is a bit sticky to get into. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th all seem fine. With 5th, I go over and up, release the clutch and am still in neutral. No grinding, just doesn't seem to find the gear. I have had some grinding trying to get into reverse, although most of the time it just acts like 5th does now - over and back, but doesn't engage. Wiggle around a bit and I can usually find it.

I would like to work through this process at some point. https://youtu.be/6UnFDaAdBaM

Quote:
Are you using the Long shifter or a Hurst?
Unsure - long? It's bent forward like stock/originals.

Chris - thanks, I'll check that and also dig up the info in the manual.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My bet is out of adjustment shifter, loose bolt on the 5/R linkage or shifter that has a problem.

If you go under the car, with it in neutral and not running, you can unbolt the shift lever from the 5/R position. It is the one at the rear. You should be able to easily shift into 5/R using an adjustable wrench on the part sticking out of the trans. If that works you know it is the shifter or adjustment. If it won't it is in the trans.

Obviously, you may need to rotate the tires just a bit to line up the gear teeth. Once in line it should shift with the wrench.

Let me know if my description is unclear.

John
Old 01-08-2019, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My biggest problem when I had my ERA and that transmission was the 5-4 downshift. VERY easy to grind into reverse if not super careful. As mentioned before the opening in the tunnel is tight.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
Does it grind going into reverse?

For trouble shifting into 5th, I agree adjusting the shifter and stops is pretty easy. If you Utube it will come up. I can give you the run down if you can't find it.

When the shifter is adjusted correctly let us know if it is fixed or if the shifter was even a problem.

5/R share the same shifting fork in that transmission. It could be a bent or damaged shift fork, but don't think about that yet.

I have never driven a car with a Doug Nash/Richmond. Can you shift quickly and hit all of the gears? I am very unimpressed with the TKOs for the 2/3 shift and am planning my next Cobra.

John
I've had a Richmond Gear 5 speed in my Cobra since mid-90's. It's not a transmission I'd buy/install again. Shifting is not consistent and I find I need to adjust the shifter/linkage way more often than you should need to.
Maybe it's the Hurst shifter, maybe the transmission. Either way, not good.

Right now, if i do a high rev/fast shift from 2nd to 3rd, the transmission gets into a bad state, maybe in both gears at once? The shifter locks up and I need to keep the clutch in or all kinds of tire squealing starts to happen. The only way to get out of bad state is to bring car to full stop and shift into reverse. Bringing your Cobra to a full stop on a busy road in the middle of heavy traffic is downright embarrassing if not very dangerous.

Needless to say, the next time I spent a chunk of money on my Cobra, it will be for a different transmission than the Richmond Gear.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
1st is a bit sticky to get into. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th all seem fine. With 5th, I go over and up, release the clutch and am still in neutral. No grinding, just doesn't seem to find the gear. I have had some grinding trying to get into reverse, although most of the time it just acts like 5th does now - over and back, but doesn't engage. Wiggle around a bit and I can usually find it.

I would like to work through this process at some point. https://youtu.be/6UnFDaAdBaM

Unsure - long? It's bent forward like stock/originals.

Chris - thanks, I'll check that and also dig up the info in the manual.
Shift lever shape is irrelevant, as they can be swapped. I've had both Hurst and Long shift levers on my Hurst shifter. You'll need to look at it from the bottom or pull the boot and look from the top. Bottom might be easier, as shift rods are different as well as is the shift mechanism.

Photos of Long shifter and various shifter handles, as well as installation and adjustment instructions: https://www.gforcetransmissions.com/...peed_Trans.pdf

Owners' manual, including service, repair and assembly instructions, as well as some troubleshooting info: http://www.waterlifemagazine.com/Hor...peedManual.pdf

Last edited by cycleguy55; 01-09-2019 at 10:45 AM..
Old 01-09-2019, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

Try adjusting/bleeding your clutch this worked wonders for me
Old 01-11-2019, 08:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     

Had the same issue. Was what "hauss" suggested. Bleed the hydraulic clutch and problem solved.... for a time. Two weeks later same problem so I changed out the m/c and clutch slave and presto! No more problem.

Bleeding the circuit is a whole lot easier than futsing around with linkage. I would try bleeding first.

CA SPCN 2004-040 complete and legal

http://www.uniquecobra.com/
Old 01-15-2019, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #778 427SC Keith Craft FE 428 stroker
Not Ranked     

For what it’s worth, Richmond Gear transmissions are now built in China. I think I got one of the last ones built in USA. For that reason alone, my next one will be something other than a RG.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Richmond web page still says made in USA and Tremec TKO is made in Mexico and Belgium . American made is a strong preference for me.

John
Old 01-16-2019, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 778 View Post
For what it’s worth, Richmond Gear transmissions are now built in China. I think I got one of the last ones built in USA. For that reason alone, my next one will be something other than a RG.
"...the SUPER STREET is manufactured in the USA by skilled craftsmen using the best in CNC machining, gear cutting technology and race-proven in house treating."

Source: https://www.richmondgear.com/auto-pa...ssion-catalog/
Old 01-16-2019, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgermond View Post
Had the same issue. Was what "hauss" suggested. Bleed the hydraulic clutch and problem solved.... for a time. Two weeks later same problem so I changed out the m/c and clutch slave and presto! No more problem.

Bleeding the circuit is a whole lot easier than futsing around with linkage. I would try bleeding first.
One more thing I had a helper in the car so I could watch the operation and found the plate that the slave cylinder was attached to was flexing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: