SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2022, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavgarb302 View Post
Ok, so good news, no leaks. The bad news the HTOB moves with springs, zero gap and if HTOB moves the springs move with it. so I suspect it has constant pressure on clutch. pics will soon be in album
As noted in the McLeod instructions I linked above, McLeod offers a shorter piston if your setup doesn't have the required clearance. The piston is 0.200” shorter than the standard piston. Assuming your HTOB is a McLeod there's thereofore a relatively easy fix, but if so it would seem whoever did the installation and setup didn't take the proper measurements and clearance before bolting it all together. This should be on them to fix. McLeod's Tech Line number is in the linked PDF.
Old 02-02-2022, 10:37 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavgarb302 View Post
ATM I feel I got a lemon. I just know I am becoming very sensitive to a $100,000 car having paint blemishes and acting like a “not rod” because of the clutch.
You haven't got a lemon. Really. You haven't. Cobras are just a completely different breed of cat. When I had my ERA built for me going on 17 years ago I had what I consider, and still consider, the finest hands in the world build my car and my engine (an FE, of course). That said, I still have had what some people would describe as "constant maintenance issues" up until this very day. Now, I've only had to perform emergency on-the-road repairs twice in order to get home, and I've only had to be towed home once. I've never had the car in a shop ever. These cars are really easy to fix. They are very much like the POS cars we all had in high school. Of course 50 years ago I would use coat hangar wire on the u-joints when I couldn't find a bolt -- I know better now. The point is that these cars must be viewed as joys to work on. And, you need to start learning how to do that. I can already tell from your posts that you are quite capable of learning how to do any of these repairs. You might need a couple of extra hands helping you, but wives and kids can suffice... usually. If you don't take that approach, you will be missing a good part of the Cobra experience.
mavgarb302 likes this.
Old 02-02-2022, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft blk edition 427r build #2297 grigo telesto color
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
There's two things about Cobras you need to understand. It's best that you understand these BEFORE you write the check.

1. A new Cobra needs a "sorting out" period. They are hand built cars so unlike the Ford from the dealer's lot there are lots of "adjustments" needed. The power train is especially so. No two will be the same and they will require some adjustment.

It is unfortunate that the HTOB requires attention. Mine did, twice, so I went to a system that if it does need attention is a lot easier to service.

2. A sorted out Cobra will still require tinkering. Always and forever. Cobras are a tinkerer's dream (or nightmare). If you want a car that you park in the garage, get in on Saturday morning, return to the garage Saturday afternoon and can ignore until next Saturday, you need to get a Corvette. With a Cobra, Saturday is for driving, Sunday is for tinkering.

Be patient, work through the rough spots and the car will reward you.
Yeah I get it, I actually expected it to a degree knowing how their built and what they are. I was expecting misalignment, trunk and hood needing adjusting, a rivet missing here etc but paint and a slipping clutch. I guess it could be worse. I let my frustrations get to me earlier.
Old 02-02-2022, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
As noted in the McLeod instructions I linked above, McLeod offers a shorter piston if your setup doesn't have the required clearance. The piston is 0.200” shorter than the standard piston. Assuming your HTOB is a McLeod there's therefore a relatively easy fix, but if so it would seem whoever did the installation and setup didn't take the proper measurements and clearance before bolting it all together. This should be on them to fix. McLeod's Tech Line number is in the linked PDF.
That was kinda my thinking on the clutch. As far as the paint people may ask you bought it after seeing it. Well yes but the staining is such that in the wrong light you cannot see it. I looked it over in their huge facility and then drove it while it was cloudy. Im just coming from the angle that when you do purchase something no matter it should perform especially if you buying it precisely for the look and performance.
Old 02-02-2022, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
You haven't got a lemon. Really. You haven't. Cobras are just a completely different breed of cat. When I had my ERA built for me going on 17 years ago I had what I consider, and still consider, the finest hands in the world build my car and my engine (an FE, of course). That said, I still have had what some people would describe as "constant maintenance issues" up until this very day. Now, I've only had to perform emergency on-the-road repairs twice in order to get home, and I've only had to be towed home once. I've never had the car in a shop ever. These cars are really easy to fix. They are very much like the POS cars we all had in high school. Of course 50 years ago I would use coat hangar wire on the u-joints when I couldn't find a bolt -- I know better now. The point is that these cars must be viewed as joys to work on. And, you need to start learning how to do that. I can already tell from your posts that you are quite capable of learning how to do any of these repairs. You might need a couple of extra hands helping you, but wives and kids can suffice... usually. If you don't take that approach, you will be missing a good part of the Cobra experience.
I've build my jet boat motors (never touching the AMC 401 again..lol) and tuned my own VMAX etc etc, always been a do it yourselfer. Issue is under warranty I cannot touch this for a year and HAVE to pay for it to be repaired etc or let it sit. Having the clutch slipping fairly early coming onto load just makes me wanna park it. Yeah I'll work through this whole thing, I just find coming out of pocket on something brand new on something pretty dang important (paint/clutch) a hugely unfair hit to my wallet.
Old 02-02-2022, 12:18 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

If it were me, and I delivered a car to you that broke down like that, I would pull it apart and see what was wrong. I would then explain it to you, and if I was in any way at fault I would eat the cost. At a minimum I would split the labor cost even if I wasn't. That's old school customer service and you don't see it too much anymore, but it's still out there.
mavgarb302 likes this.
Old 02-02-2022, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
If it were me, and I delivered a car to you that broke down like that, I would pull it apart and see what was wrong. I would then explain it to you, and if I was in any way at fault I would eat the cost. At a minimum I would split the labor cost even if I wasn't. That's old school customer service and you don't see it too much anymore, but it's still out there.
Thats the way I operate in my industry in bidding jobs. If I forgot something (which is rare) I eat it and still pay contractors bc it is the right things to do for my name and principle. Kinda a quality control thing, otherwise contractors wouldnt trust me.
MaSnaka and cycleguy55 like this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: