SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Verdict on current TKO 600 Transmission?

I'm building a 500HP/TQ 2100lb car for a friend and sorting through all the recent complaints: "lock-up", breakage, and issues reported here, and lack of warranty coverage being reported on the TKO 600s... trying to weed through all the threads.

Considering how many transmissions Tremec sells and used by members here on ClubCobra alone, I still have a few questions while trying to decide to take the plunge towards a TKO 600 or not, and just assume the risks or go with a Richmond 5-speed instead...

More questions...
  • Are these recently reported issues isolated to a small number of TKO 600s?
  • Is this occuring with cars say over 500 HP/Torque?
  • Could this just have been a bad batch/series of TKO 600s?
  • Is Tremec (company) responding to these issues behind the scenes or not?
  • Is the root cause/case issue fixed now?
  • What is the CURRENT standing on new TKO 600s sold as of Dec 2006?

It would be great to hear from folks who actually install and repair TKO 600 transmissions. Thanks ahead of time for your responses. I left a message for the folks at Standard Transmission as well; waiting for a response now.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:24 PM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Mine works.

I got mine from JimiG here on this site. Got just about everything for a good price.

No worries.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 545" stroked 460 - sold
Not Ranked     

Zero problems with mine, got it last month from JimiG, no leaks, no shift problems
Old 12-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Arrow No problems

Duane,
Tom bought & installed mine last August, and although I have very limited miles on the car, it's worked flawlessly. Shifts sweet, I couldn't be happier, so far.

jdog
P.S. FYI, I have 0 miles of "spirited" driving so far.

Last edited by jdog; 12-09-2006 at 01:42 PM..
Old 12-09-2006, 01:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Thanks you guys.

I'm truly hoping to hear from a few folks with say more than 5,000+ miles on a TKO 600, maybe some hard track time, or others who really drive the pants of their car on the street, a few hard burnouts and lauches here and there with some big fat-grabbing tires on the back, you know...elements for breakage, maybe with 500+ HP/TQ numbers.

Last edited by decooney; 12-09-2006 at 02:14 PM..
Old 12-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Red face Oh!

Oh!

jdog
Old 12-09-2006, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89 427 KC alum
Not Ranked     

Can we get a Tremec rep to the WSCB?
Old 12-09-2006, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney
I'm building a 500HP/TQ 2100lb car for a friend and sorting through all the recent complaints: "lock-up", breakage, and issues reported here, and lack of warranty coverage being reported on the TKO 600s... trying to weed through all the threads.

Considering how many transmissions Tremec sells and used by members here on ClubCobra alone, I still have a few questions while trying to decide to take the plunge towards a TKO 600 or not, and just assume the risks or go with a Richmond 5-speed instead...

More questions...
  • Are these recently reported issues isolated to a small number of TKO 600s?
  • Is this occuring with cars say over 500 HP/Torque?
  • Could this just have been a bad batch/series of TKO 600s?
  • Is Tremec (company) responding to these issues behind the scenes or not?
  • Is the root cause/case issue fixed now?
  • What is the CURRENT standing on new TKO 600s sold as of Dec 2006?

It would be great to hear from folks who actually install and repair TKO 600 transmissions. Thanks ahead of time for your responses. I left a message for the folks at Standard Transmission as well; waiting for a response now.

I think this is one of those things that you will just have to make your own decision whether to take the plunge or not.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."

Last edited by Anthony; 12-09-2006 at 04:18 PM..
Old 12-09-2006, 04:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham#182/Shelby 496c.i.
Not Ranked     

Two year old TKO600 with 11,000 miles and no problems at all.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Duane,
I ran mine for just under 5000 miles with a 600 HP/TQ big block and no problem at all except for a little weaping of fluid from the case. I'm running the Big Letter Goodyears (nice and sticky) and don't cut it much slack.
I took it to the 1/8 mi drags and made over a dozen runs, several mountains runs with a local club (playing tag with the Corvettes) and I have been known to lose traction occassionaly at the stop lights.

I love the trans. Just wish I would have gotten the .82 OD instead of the .64
Old 12-09-2006, 08:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Anthony,
Thanks. And, I'd rather make an informed decision with at least a little historical reference before spending my good friend's money.

ST, XL,
Thanks, its good to hear from a few who've been out doing some driving with some sticky tires and all! Got a little concerned when those pics started showing up with uneven gear wear and guys getting stuck on the side of the road stuck in gear. I'm probaby going to move forward and see what happens. If its going to break, in 6 months or so once the car is finished, if its going to break, my friend is certain to find the limit as He's pretty hard on stuff.

Seems like the final verdict might come down to a few isolated cases; pun intended.

Last edited by decooney; 12-09-2006 at 08:54 PM..
Old 12-09-2006, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Challenge Car, RDI aluminum 427w
Not Ranked     

I have 22,000 miles on my TKO-600. This is the .64od unit.

No trouble except a slight leak from the front input shaft support housing. I’m looking into this now. It’s either the seal around the input shaft or the sealer under the shaft support. I will replace both before putting the trans back in. The countershaft cap seem to be OK.

This one is set up for the middle shift position. It shifts OK but I sure miss my old Muncie and Comp Plus - another car, a different day.

The motor is a 427w with 440 rwtq & rwhp. Abuse includes 50 or more dyno runs, six days on the road track and seven ¼ miles runs. Shouldn’t forget the fun on the street.

Trans is fine and I expect it to last a long time.

Jim
Old 12-09-2006, 11:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

14000+ over 2 years, 4 or 5 track days, more than a couple of hard launches on the street all on 315/40/17's with added sprited mountain and twisty driving and nary a squeek in sight. The engine is a 450/500 hp/lb/ft FE.
The TKO600 came from the supplier without modifications and I couldn't be more pleased.
DonC
Old 12-10-2006, 06:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile Tko 600

2000 plus miles and a 100 plus / minus burn outs, no problems.

Dwight
Old 12-10-2006, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP329 w/KC489 Shelby
Not Ranked     

Just to give you another data point. I have had mine for over 2 yrs with close to 6000 miles on it and no problems. I wouldn't say I have abused it, but there are a few autocross miles on it and I have been known to over power the tires on the street now and then. Most of the time that is unintentional. Engine is in the high 600s FWHP.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Blue Car
Not Ranked     

Hey Duane,

Sounds like a few good solid applicable users. Just wondered what gear set you were considering. The road race version would really make that car quick all the way to 5th. The .82 5th makes it a very usable gear with proper rpm spread between 4th & 5th.

TREMEC TKO-600 5-speed for Ford (650HP Road Race). Standard tailhousing and shifter. Ratios: 2.87, 1.89, 1.28, 1.0, 0.82. Spline: 26/31.

In hindsight I probably would have set my shifter up for the mid-shift location to get my hand closer to the steering wheel during shifts. I don’t know what the layout of the Lister is but Kevin is a big guy and it may be something to consider. The JBL is very similar to this arrangement. When you sit down next to the tunnel like that, your arm is up, laying on the tunnel and cocked back at times. It can be a little uncomfortable. By moving the shifter forward, your hand is closer to the wheel and more relaxed. You and Gary could do some layout and mock up the shifter location(s) to see what position works best.

When I'm up at Tom's next week I'd like to go by Gary's and take a look if I can.

Talk soon, John
Old 12-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Anybody ever looked inside to see what the alignment is with 3rd gear? It would appear, at least on some, that 3rd gear teeth are not fully lined up with the counter shaft 3rd gear teeth.

Old 12-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Blue Car
Not Ranked     

Awesome pic!

Duane,
here's a pretty good rant / thread on the topic: http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...ad.php?t=57300

Talk soon, John
ps, these are made in Mexico, aren't they?
Old 12-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Received an email today that set the record straight for me, with a picture. It sounds like any of the reputable transmission distributors for Tremec have an explanation, details, and reasons behind the locking in gear issue, and the breakage, along with the 3rd gear alignment issues. No further questions. Thanks to everyone for your responses.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to flyboy1997
Not Ranked     

How about sharing that email, I have one but still in to my build but have grown scared of the trans from all the negative posts. slpinc@sbcglobal.net