Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2004, 04:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     

Cranky,
Sorry you guys won't be able to make it. I still have a gift certificate for PDA, from my wife, so I will definitely be on track this year. Don't know if I can get to the Glen (I tried last year and failed as you know) or Beaver Run... may be stuck with Ms. Buzzi. But I'll be out there. Hopefully I can catch up with you guys at one of the tracks.

Tony,
That's great!! Look forward to seeing you. There will be a registration form for the Revolution II. I just have to put it together. I figured it is a little early to do it now. I'll probably do it in a few weeks, unless I get some free time earlier.

The agenda is still being set. We really don't want to make a strict agenda per se. We'll probably kick off the event at around 11am. We'll have our car show/picnic/etc..in Washingtons' Crossing Park. We will provide the food and sodas. From there, we are definitely going to plan a nice cruise route. Exactly where we'll go is still being decided. There are lots of nice places around. New Hope is a quiant little town (though very crowded in the summer), and so is Peddlers Villiage. We may also print up some fliers of local attractions and activities in case people want to do other things. We definitely don't want to sit there at the park all day and just go home. So activities are a must!!

We will also be coming up very shortly with a list of hotels and beds and breakfasts for people to stay at. It is officially a one day event, but we are hoping for a nice turnout from the New York area, as well as DC and other spots (hopefully groups will cruise down together). So if enough people stay over and there is a desire to do something, we can find stuff to do on Sunday!

I'm always open for suggestions, thoughts and ideas for this!!

Steve

No, it ain't "real", but it's real fast....

Some people choose to rattle their windows with stereos and speakers... I choose to rattle windows with my right foot.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 351W, C4
Not Ranked     
Default Stay Over

Steve,

If guys stay over it would be great to find some night life activities in the area. Maybe for starters a nice restaurant for dinner and then a club or tavern (by one of the hotels so no one has to drive) for some libations.

Also, for anyone who stays over 'til Sunday perhaps we could plan on a short list of activities. We could all do breakfast and then a short cruise to any scenic location in the area for a photo shoot and then on back home.

Let's see what kind of interest we can get for a stay over group.

Tony
Old 02-03-2004, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC/331/5 forward
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb

Tony, there's LOTS of nite life in New Hope - the main drag will invariably be stuffed (nearly impassable) with peeple and every sort of mechanical transportation; bikes, cars, trucks, whatever. Plus the downtown is more or less one continuous gin mill, outdoor seating, food, etc. Lots of knick knack shops, geegaws, all kinds of crap. The people watching is great fun; name your stereotype and you'll find it in spades. And - just across the bridge is Lambertville, with plenty more. The bridge across is under construction but open weekends, so access is o.k. There's a hotel (Best Western, I think - will verify tomorrow) within 1 mile of the center of town, a Hampton Inn in Flemington (about 6 miles), B&B's by the truckload....but if anybody plans on staying over, better get moving on the B&B's cause they get booked early on.

Between New Hope and the Lambertville / Sergeantsville area there are some mighty fine rides available...plus, for those so inclined, the Last Covered Bridge In New Jersey is up in Sergeantsville - great for hearing yourself in the Cobra.

Barracudafish, you done mighty fine job, as usual.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony,
Pothole guy is correct. There is no shortage of night (and day) life in New Hope. The main drag is about 5 or 6 blocks long, and it has EVERYTHING you can imagine. From knick-knack candle shops, to bars, to toy shops, to restaurants, to collectibles stores, music shops. On and on... It is a safe place to walk around, so no worries there. It is a very popular place for motorcylces to cruise through, as well as classic cars. If we have a bunch of Cobras rolling through, it will stop thousands of people in their tracks. As he said, people watching is amazing. Tons of people of all walks. Really a neat town to hang out in. We can organize a nice cruise, maybe into Jersey (which is right on the other side of the river) and end up in New Hope. We will not be bored there, for sure!! I believe that is a Best Western Hotel less than a mile from the center of town, but I'll check again. I know it's a chain hotel, and it looks nice. And New Hope (and its' surrounding area) is packed with bed and breakfasts, because it's popular with tourists, who come out for the knick knack, artsy shops. There's even a winery nearby.

Gotta figure out how many people are coming, how many on the cruise, and how many staying overnight. There would be plenty of places to cruise Sunday if people stay. Doing a photo shoot is a fantastic idea!!!

Steve

Some people choose to rattle their windows with stereos and speakers... I choose to rattle windows with my right foot.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Yep...

Tony / all, the motel on Rt. 202, about a mile from downtown New Hope is a Best Western, called the New Hope Inn. Could always run a Google check on the B&B's since there are so cottin-pickin many of 'em.

Y'know, Potteryfish, the thought of about 50 or 60 Cobras inching along the main drag in downtown No Hope ( ) is mind-numbing. Something nobody would forget.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:36 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Hey TB,

Just one is enough to stop foot traffic and rattle windows...50+ would stop the town dead in it's tracks......As for the motels, as a friendly FYI, my advice is to stay away from any that offer low hourly rates

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-04-2004, 05:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

For those of you considering staying over at a B&B, here is a good link.

http://www.theinnkeeper.com/bnb/assoc_view?assoc_id=9

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 02-04-2004, 08:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've got an e-mail in to the New Hope visitors center, I'm waiting to hear from them. Hopefully, they will welcome us and help us out in some way.

If there are dozens of Cobras cruising down the main drag (pun intended), there will be lots of spilled lattes!! It would undoubtedly be an unforgettable sight to have that many of us cruising through town. New Hope can be a lot of fun, and it's quite a crowd there. Not to mention the photo ops would be awesome!!

I'll start compiling a list of hotels and B&Bs. I guess if enough people actually stay over, we can try to get them a better rate???

Steve

Old 02-16-2004, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Hotels

Klay,

Did you ever get around to putting together a list of hotels?

Also, are many guys planning on staying over Sat night to Sunday? How about a show of hands!

I plan on staying over.

Tony
Old 02-16-2004, 08:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony,
I had sent an e-mail to New Hope tourism board and was hoping they would send me an information package with hotel, bed and breakfast info, etc... Never got a response from them. I'll have to give them a call. I know that it is a Best Western right there outside of New Hope, not 10 minutes from the event. Pretty nice looking place too. I'll dig up their information over lunch.

I'm not sure how many people are staying over. I guess I'll get a better idea when I actually put out the registration form. Last year, we didn't put out the form until early April, but something tells me I should try to get this one out a little sooner...especially if people want to stay overnight. Just from the conversations with others I have had, so far I know of a handful who are planning to stay overnight. I think it'll really depend if "groups" of people come down from NY or DC or western PA, etc... My wife and I obviously aren't staying in a hotel, since we live just an hour away, but we'll come back and get together with people on Sunday. We can definitely find things in that area to do. Depending on weather, I was thinking of a cruise and photo shoot???? Just an idea...there are plenty of other things we can do.

Steve

Old 02-16-2004, 08:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Let's try this....
http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwest...ertyCode=39085
This is a nice, safe, large, chain hotel. I'll search for bed and breakfasts and other smaller hotels too.

Steve

Old 02-16-2004, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Lodging

Steve,

I spent some time doing online hotel searches and here's what I found out.

Best Western - $152.00 plus tax for a one night stay.

Just about every B&B in the area charges in the $140 - $200 range and for Saturday night stays they require a two night booking.

I also looked at hotels/motels on the NJ side of the river and the best I could find in terms of distance and price is a Red Roof Inn in Lawrenceville, NJ. According to Mapquest the Red Roof Inn is 11.72 miles from Washington Crossing, PA.

Online the roome rate for a standard room is $66.49. I called the Red Roof (609) 896-3388, and spoke with the Manager, Tom and he said that booking through them the rate is $74.99 (Cheaper to book online at http://www.metrotravelguide.com/metr...dren=0&x=8&y=9

The manager told me that they do have weekend security staff whose duties include checking the hotel parking lot. He also said that they are right next door to Joe's Crab Shack (possibly an option for nightcap libations).

Let me know your thoughts. I have been through Larenceville in the past but it was so long ago that I really don't recall the area. How familiar are you with Lawrenceville?

Tony
Old 02-16-2004, 09:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony,
Lawrenceville is right on the other side of the river from New Hope, where we will be cruising through. I didn't go there all that often, as I stayed on the PA side, but from what I know of Lawrenceville, it is very nice. It kinda feeds off of New Hope. It has the quiant shops, etc... and should be plenty safe. I wouldn't have any concerns being there. Thanks for digging up that info on New Hope. I know they have their website, www.newhopepa.com and that has some info. I'm sure if people don't want to stay in Lawrenceville, there are other hotels around. They just may be 20 minutes instead of 10. But if it looks good to you, I'd stay at the Red Roof. I think you'd be fine.

Steve

Old 02-16-2004, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Lodging

Steve,

That's my recollection of Lawrenceville, i.e., small safe town.

Anyway, I'll be booking a room there, so if anyone else plans on staying over let me know. Maybe we can all do the Red Roof Inn.

Tony
Old 02-17-2004, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve/Tony,

I drive by the Red Roof Inn every day. It is not where you want to leave your car. It is nowhere near quaint, downtown Lawrenceville. It is in fact far from the center of town on Route 1 on the border of Trenton and in one of the most traffic-congested areas in Mercer County. There is a reason they do parking lot security checks.

I am not sure of prices, but you might try the Hampton Inn outside of Newtown, PA or maybe the new Courtyard by Marriott across from Mercer County Airport in Ewing (it's so new I'm not sure it even opens until next month). You can also try Frenchtown, New Jersey which is about 30 minutes away. This is a really nice town to stay in with a great drive along Rt 29 on the river. A great crusing road! Frenchtown has several Inns.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Exclamation

There is a new Hampton Inn in Flemington (908-284-9427), right on Rt. 202, about 8 miles N/NE of New Hope. There is also a Ramada Inn on Rt. 202 in Flemington (908-782-7472), figger same distance more or less.

Don't confuse Lawrenceville with LAMBERTVILLE...big, big difference. As Jet posted, Lawrenceville is about 30 miles from New Hope, LAMBERTVILLE is directly across the river. There are a couple motels right in LAMBERTVILLE but likely to be pricey; The Lambertville Station Inn (609-397-4400) and Lambertville House (609-397-0200).

Of course I suppose I COULD rent out the garage for a night....nah, then the Cobra would have to spend the night outside.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve;

The Hampton Inn outside Newtown has plenty of parking, room rates are $150 a night, nice parking lot, well lite and about 4 miles from the park, next exit off 95. I would be able to call and see if they would have a special on a number of rooms if you like, call me or email me. I plan on being there this year, and any help with set up or organization count me in. Let me know about the next planning meeting and I will attend if schedule permits.
Looking foward to this one.
PS, a covered bridge is near Bowman's Tower off River Road on the way to New Hope.

Corky
Old 02-18-2004, 10:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for coming to my rescue guys. Tony, I apologize. Even when I mentioned it to my wife last night, she gave me that look. She's from Jersey. I didn't get to post until now, as I've been on the road all day. I grew up in that area, but left in 1991, so I start to forget things. I now live 40 miles west of the area. I was thinking of Lambertville, not Lawrenceville.

I've gotta start making some calls to the New Hope board, and we've got to find some good, reasonably priced hotels. I think $150 per night is a bit steep. There's got to be a hotel somewhere close by that is safe and less expensive. I'm not sure how many people are staying overnight, but we've got to find them good lodging.

Jet, Corky (you are on my e-mail list for our club, right?) or Highway Robber boy, if you can think of anything in the area that is nice and less than $150 per night, let me know. My goal is to start searching and find one by the weekend. I want to get the registration form out in about 4 weeks or so.

That's about the only thing I need right now. I've sent in for our permits (I reserved the pavillion for Sat. AND Sunday just in case...), we'll start the food planning in the early spring, and start working on a cruise route. I like the covered bridge idea. The main idea is to keep it simple and family oriented, so it shouldn't require that much planning. I'm just thinking about some kind of memorabilia item to do and activities. Last year we did mugs, and it worked well. I was thinking about doing posters this year. But that's just a minor detail. The cruise route never got going, and I wish it had. So I definitely want to do something this year.

Again, sorry for the goof, and thanks for pointing in the right direction. And sorry if this is rambling. I'm swamped at work, so I'm just typing as fast as I can and not thinking about it. Ahhhh....multi-tasking

Steve

Last edited by klayfish; 02-18-2004 at 10:48 AM..
Old 02-18-2004, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve,

I emailed you to make sure you have current info. Shirts, golf or tee are always great for these types of things, great to wear and show off, XXL needed by more than a few of us. If you need help in that area, contact me as I have several contacts of these things. Having been born in this area, any help needed on a route for the cruise I can off let me know.
Corky
Old 02-18-2004, 02:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Corky, any thoughts for the cruise route would be great. My cousin is actually VP of a promotions company, so he's going to take care of it for me. I just need to figure out what to do. T-shirts were a though, so were glass beer steins, key chains, and a few other things.

Steve