Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478
Not Ranked     

OK,

As someone painfully aware of how this works re Webers and the CARB, here goes...

To pass, you NEED a closed PCV system. That means having a PCV valve from one valve cover to the crankcase. Second, to close the system, you need a vent running from the opposite valve cover to the intake over at least one of the Webers. This should be filtered air, as in theory, this air may be sucked into the crankcase.

What I have done is place set of aluminum spacers under one pair of carbs over (ie, 2 Weber 48s), and tapped each of these, and plumbed them to the PCV valve. I also have a dedicated air filter over one carb that has a hose from the second valve cover to provide the filtered air.

The setup is not complicated, and could largely be hidden if someone wanted to tap the individual intake runners. Thats not what I did, for reasons I don't want to get into on this forum.

Anyway, getting Webers through can be done, but you should also know exactly who is doing your inspection. DO NOT GO TO JUST ANY STATION!!!! Ask around, as some of the inspectors really have no clue as to what they are doing, but are not about to admit that to you. If they see something that is not ordinary...they're likely to just fail it, rather than find out if it is OK or not. Trust me on this.

If someone would like to know more about my set up, and possibly "borrow" it for reference purposes, please PM me.

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"
Old 11-27-2012, 04:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
If all esle fails, just put on a 4 barrel and get it through the BAR and then switch to Webbers.
Just what I said back in Post #7.

Given what Igofastr mentioned above, the 4-bbl has to the best solution for passing through the SB100/SPCNS process. Will save you time, anguish and headaches.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by chienquocmu1 View Post
MU CHI?N QU?C ALPHATEST 19H00 NGÀY 28-11-2012
Reset Mi?n PhÃ* - Không WebShop - Gi?i H?n Reset
Cam K?t T?n T?i Lâu DÃ*i - Công B?ng - S? Ki?n H?p D?n - H? Tr? Nhi?t Tình

ALPHA TEST VÀ DUA TOP VÀO 19H00 NGÀY 28-11-2012

H? tr? khi tham gia test 65000 Point - 1000 di?m Master - Gcoin
Các item h? tr? s? bán trong game Full +15 d? các b?n tham gia test
K?t thúc Alpha Test s? xoá toÃ*n b? d? li?u d? Open
Khi Open ch? bán item thu?ng

Thông Tin Mu Chi?n Qu?c

+ Trang ch? : MUCHIENQUOC.COM ho?c
+ Di?n DÃ*n : DIENDAN.MUCHIENQUOC.COM ho?c
+ T?i Game: MUCHIENQUOC.COM/DOWNLOAD ho?c
+ Yahoo h? tr?: muchienquoc

+ Phiên b?n : MU Season 6 .3 FULL
+ H? th?ng New Event + New Item
+ H? th?ng t? d?ng dánh vÃ* nh?t Item
+ Máy Ch?: Datacenter FPT ôn d?nh online 24/24
+ Anti Hack: VietGuard Pro
+ Reset : Mi?n PhÃ*.
+ Website NetBanBe nhi?u tÃ*nh nang.
+ T? l? kinh nghi?m : 200%
+ T? l? r?t d? : 60%

Ban Qu?n Tr? GiÃ*u Kinh Nghi?m - Nhi?t Tình H?a H?n M?t Sân Choi ?n d?nh Lâu DÃ*i Cho Game Th?.
Admin thu?ng xuyên t? ch?c các s? ki?n trong game d? tang tÃ*nh h?p d?n..(D?u tru?ng d?m máu, Bang h?i d?i chi?n, NgÃ*y h?i Kundun,Truy tìm Admin, NgÃ*y h?i Vpoint... )

- Không Bán Item Full, Exc: Vi?c bán các item full, exl trên webshop dang lÃ*m m?t di s? h?ng thú c?a các game th? khi tham gia vÃ*o b?t kì game online nÃ*o d?ng th?i cung lÃ*m m?t di s? cân b?ng trong game.Hon n?a s? khi?n các game th? nhanh chóng tr? nên nhÃ*m chán vì vi?c ki?m m?t b? d? vip quá don gi?n.M?i item b?n ki?m du?c trong game d?u có giá tr?.Webshop s? ch? bán các item h? tr? nhu ng?c,pet exp.

- Ch?c Nang Gi?i H?n RS H?p LÃ* : Ch?c nang giúp các b?n choi game h?p lý vÃ* không ?nh hu?ng d? s?c kh?e.VÃ* không gây ra kho?ng các quá xa gi?a các game th?.

H? th?ng Master Skill (M?i): ? phiên b?n Season 6.3 , các chi?n binh s? du?c tr?i nghi?m b?ng K? Nang Master m?i hoÃ*n toÃ*n. Các k? nang m?i d?u du?c m? r?ng vÃ* có th? + d?n t?i da lÃ* 20 di?m tuong ?ng v?i 1 K? Nang Master.
D?c bi?t v?i b?ng master nhân vi?t th? 7 Thi?t Binh.
If this sort of thing is going to start happening on here, as it is on other car forums, for which I am NOT happy about, I will have no option and stop visiting here.

I joined up here to learn a little more about quad webers, and also help the forums members with mechanical advice.

I have made many friends via the internet, but unfortunately I can't stand those who type in the own language.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 11-28-2012, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, SB 331 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Perhaps I'm missing something here but, this doesn't seem all that difficult to accomplish since you already have the plumbing from the manifold to the PCV valve.

Get a set of these: Weber 40 idf 44 idf 48 idf air cleaner, weber air, Dellorto air cleaner, 2 ½ in | eBay.

Tap into the underside of the air cleaner nearest your valve cover breather using one of these: Spectre Performance PCV Air Cleaner Smog Fittings 4960 - SummitRacing.com, you can get them at any auto parts store or another fitting with a 5/8" nipple end. I was able to find a 45* 3/8" NPT to 5/8" nipple at a local hydraulic fitting store.

Get one of these for the valve cover: CHROME MOPAR STYLE PUSH-IN BREATHER 1" STEM & 5/8" VENT | eBay, be certain this is a closed breather.

Be certain to use hose you use is certified for PCV use or you will fail. Some have gotten by using heater hose but, why take the chance.

This setup should satisfy the requirement for a closed PCV system and shown here:
Old 11-30-2012, 09:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: GT350,289 w/48IDA Webers
Send a message via AIM to Earl J
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhirasak View Post
It is a 1966 Mustang, Shelby GT 350 replica. Even though it is smog exempt, I understand that it has to have a closed crankcase ventilation system according to CARB even through the SB100/SPCNS process. Because the 4 Weber system is an individual runner system, I do not have a manifold vacuum source for the closed crankcase ventilation. I was wondering what other owners having a 4 Weber system did to meet this requirement.
Hello jhirasak, I run Webers on my 350 it's a 65 and it's exempt as Rodknock had mentioned. No air cleaners, weird vacume plumbing or CARB compliance, but just a single breather tank. I do on ocassion run debris screens. Attached are current photos. ~Earl J

fisch16 likes this.

Last edited by Earl J; 11-30-2012 at 10:27 PM..
Old 11-30-2012, 10:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: GT350,289 w/48IDA Webers
Send a message via AIM to Earl J
Not Ranked     

If you attended the 50th Anniversary Rolex Reunion at Laguna Seca you saw my car in the corral (my car is on the left in the photo).

As a matter of fact if you also watched the Speed TV program of the 50th Cobra Anniv. It was also in that show that aired multiple times this past fall (if you blinked you would have missed it, the camera man filming some girls who got into my car. I found/met them in the corral…lol) Shameless plug of my car on the Club Cobra forum…

Last image was from the Pacific Grove Rally the Friday of that week of the Reunion.

Cheers,
~Earl J

Last edited by Earl J; 11-30-2012 at 10:47 PM..
Old 12-01-2012, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 331 SB, AFR heads
Not Ranked     

Earl,

Thanks for your input. After all of the discussion regarding PCV requirements in Cal, I think that I will just run my single Holley to pass the initial inspection to minimize any hassels and then convert back to the 4 Webers.

At this point, I still have to sell my house before we move so the situation is not time critical.

John
Old 03-25-2014, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 331 SB, AFR heads
Not Ranked     
Smile

I have moved to California and have endured the DMV registration process for registering a vehicle from outside of the state. It only took about two hours and $100 to get my plates.

Speaking of plates, several owners of Shelbys and Cobras have mentioned that you could now get black California plates for your 1960's car. I went to the DMV web site and placed a pre-order for black California legacy plates for my car. According to the DMV, if at least 7500 individuals request legacy plates before January 1, 2015, the state of California will issue either personalized or sequential numbered plates to those submitting requests. At this time, the number of authorized requests for black California plates stands at 6458. So tell your friends about this DMV legacy plate program in order for us to meet the criteria for the state to issue these plates!
Old 09-27-2014, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

By definition a closed system must have the PCV mounted in one valve cover and attached to the intake manifold vacuum while a closed breather cap from the opposite cover has a draw upon it from the intake system through an emmisions rated hose (not something like heater hose) and attached to the base of a closed air filter.

Earlier requirements did not require PCV with Webers.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 09-27-2014, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Wait, a car brought into CA has to be registered per year of motor, if the motor is not original. Correct? I had this issue with my 59' caddy & had to show that it had the original block.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

PCV Valve does NOT dump into air cleaner, it must have vacuum from intake manifold to function. Closed breather from oppsite Valve Cover vents to Carburetor Air Filter. The CAlifornia Air Resources Board (CARB) may currently require a closed breather housing too. IE no open filter elements (like 66 GT350 was back in the day) This may apply to current SB100 reg but not to OEM 1966 vehicle application.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way