Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2007, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#499 351W with Webers
Not Ranked     
Default Help!!

I have developed a problem with the linkage on by Weber set up. I have 48 IDAs on a 351W. The engine has 300 miles on it and initially I had a slight problem with the linkage binding once I reached about 1/4 throttle, but it would always pass through the rough spot.

Today I had the car on the high way and after 40 miles, or so, the thorttle "locked up." I can't get more than about 1/4 throttle before it becomes stuck.

I have disconnected the left to right linkage with no change. It seems as if one of the left hand carbs is binding??

I have lubed the linkage, again with no change.

I really need some help here as I am about 80 miles from home and would like to be able to do more than 50mph on the freeway.

Thanks,

Gun Doc
Old 07-07-2007, 09:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

The Left rear carburetor throttle shaft (in your linkage setup is accepting all of the torque being created by return spings on all 3 carbs includung those on the RH bank. This is not ideal. also the carbs will not be syncronized with this design linkage.

You have a beautiful car and engine, it just needs a little sorting, as they all do when new.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 07-07-2007 at 09:15 PM..
Old 07-07-2007, 10:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

What Rick said.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #188 342R Roush
Not Ranked     
Default hey Gun Doc

Check your pedal setup. Mine was binding when I 1st got my car. Take off cable to carb linkage and make sure it's not binding either at pedal or up top where slide is. I'm sure you will find it will be one of these.
tom
Old 07-08-2007, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Okay, here is the update: I disconnected the throttle cable (it works fine), and connecting linkage from the bell crank to the left two carbs. The forward carbs works fine, the rear, however, is locked up. This is with the left to right linkage disconnected, as well.

My question is now this: Do any of you think this linkage set up my have damaged the carb (linkage shaft), or is it possible that it is just tight? It looks as if the shaft may be rubbing on the forward carb's shaft...

BTW: The right bank carbs work fine.

I am open to anything at this point, as I am still 80 miles from home and can't get past just off of idle.

Thanks,

Gun Doc
Old 07-08-2007, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Update number II...

I took everything apart and finally got the rear carb (linkage) to break free. I then lubed all four carbs with white gease and made sure it was worked in. I continuded to work the left rear carb until it felt smooth, then re-assembled everything.

The foot feed feels much smoother than it has since I have had the car. I think there may have been a burr on either the linkage, or carb body? The real test will come when I drive it home, as it always got tighter the hotter the engine bay became.

What linkage do the rest of you run on your Webers? Mine is what came from Ingleese and I hear they are supposed to be one of the best? I does appear to put a lot of force on the bell crank and bracket...

Thanks,

Gun Doc
Old 07-08-2007, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Update III

I took the car for a short test drive (4-5 miles) and by the time I got back, the throttle had locked up once more. I now am pretty sure it is thermal related. It is always the left rear carb that locks up...Even with all of the linkage disconnected.

I am in Central Texas and the temp, I am sure is in the 90's.

Does anyone have any ideas/solutions (even temp solutions) for this. I am still 80 miles from home and would really like to get the car back home so I can repair it correctly.

I guess I'll wait until the sun goes down, or mybe first thing in the morning when its cooler to try it out.

Thanks,

Gun Doc
Old 07-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

ice the intake.... just kidding. i bet 15 degrees cooler would atleast get you home at highway speeds. we are at the mercy of engine builder here since it is forward of the bracket. looking at options, but for all the beauty under the hood those suckers are they are pia.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

[IMG][/IMG]
This is one type of linkage that is relatively easy to syncronize and eliminates the accumulated torque on the throttle shafts. The pull or push rods must be parallel.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 07-08-2007 at 01:53 PM..
Old 07-08-2007, 06:17 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Do you have access to a more high-temp grease than the white stuff? It needs to withstand more than white can, and should give you a longer drive time before kinking up on you. Though maybe the temp drop with the evening and no more posts atleasts means you are running.

Give us a shout when you get home or find a solution so we know where things stand.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Update IV:

I made it home! I actually fixed the linkage problem, I think...

I don't know that much about Webers outside of what I have read on the different sites and dealers that sell them. Sooo I didn't know about the linkage on the bottom right side of the carb. The one with the little roller... Well I lubed THAT linkage and it loosened right up. I then lubed that linkage on the remaining three carbs.

I took the car for a test drive mid-afternoon in Austin (95F) and no binding. I still waited until 1930 to head home. No problems, except now it idles very high, around 1800rpm, or so. I look at it some more in the morning.

It is running very rich on the idle circuit, as well. Once I hit 2800rpm, or so it leans out. According to the engine builder, the idle jets are 70F10. I thin k these are too large for the 800' and 90F+ temps we have here. What do the resident Weber experts think?

Thanks for all of the imput. The car is still more fun than should be legal!!!

Oh yeah, almost forgot: Yes I do have some good grease here at the house...We use it on big navel guns and it is good up past 600F. I'll clean everything with some alcohol, and relube with the good stuff!

Gun Doc

Last edited by Gun Doc; 07-08-2007 at 07:41 PM..
Old 07-09-2007, 01:47 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Sounding much better. Glad Eric got back to you as well.